Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Austar Or Foxtel?

Austar Or Foxtel?

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Default Austar Or Foxtel?

Hi,we are going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks to live and wife loves her soaps,goes daft if she misses any!!I know you can get British soaps and programmes on Foxtel but what about Austar?What is the best,any recommendations?Cheers Thanks in advance cheers Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austar Or Foxtel?

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,we are going to Melbourne in a couple of weeks to live and wife loves her soaps,goes daft if she misses any!!I know you can get British soaps and programmes on Foxtel but what about Austar?What is the best,any recommendations?Cheers Thanks in advance cheers Dave
They are near enough identical - generally comes down to the area you are in - some areas don't get Austar and vis versa. go with whichever one offers you the best deal at the time.

Some areas show different sport on a Friday night (I think) - but don't know if that's down to Austar and Foxtel or the area.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They are near enough identical - generally comes down to the area you are in - some areas don't get Austar and vis versa. go with whichever one offers you the best deal at the time.

Some areas show different sport on a Friday night (I think) - but don't know if that's down to Austar and Foxtel or the area.
Hi,thanks I just found Austar website and it is not possible to get it in areawe are going,have to be Foxtel,do you know if they show The Sopranos on Foxtel,its my fav show,cheers Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's Foxtel here in Melbourne, there's plenty of British soaps although I think they may be a bit behind by a few months. I don't watch them myself but i'm sure others can confirm. We got it for the sport and its good for that but thats about all.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saint Andy
It's Foxtel here in Melbourne, there's plenty of British soaps although I think they may be a bit behind by a few months. I don't watch them myself but i'm sure others can confirm. We got it for the sport and its good for that but thats about all.
Hi,I had a quick look on website,it says there is a 24 month contract,is there no other option,cheers Dave
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,I had a quick look on website,it says there is a 24 month contract,is there no other option,cheers Dave

We signed up for 24 months but I'm sure we had a flyer posted to us or it was in the paper where they were offering a one year package. Typically just having agreed to the 24 month deal.
They've always got certain promotional offers I think the latest is free sports channels for 3 months. They are quite flexible in changing the plan, we started with the Platinum all channel package and then changed it after a month.
Cheers, Andy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:12 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

maybe once you get there etc. you could ring them and make enquiries and just tell them that you don't want to be locked in for a year. They were recently doing a 'no lock in period' offer - and anything is possible if they want your business. When we were signing up I didn't want to pay the installation fees so ummed and agghhed and they phoned back a couple of times and then said they'd install for free. Always worth a try.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My other half works for Austar so if you like I'll ask him what your options are.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi

My other half works for Austar so if you like I'll ask him what your options are.
Austar is country Foxtel so not applicable if you will be living in one of the major cities.

There are much better ways of getting most of the British soaps without paying for crappy Foxtel (we couldn't wait to get out of our contract it is really awful). Let me know if you need any help
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

suzy a is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have just got foxtel on a 12 month contract with free installation and first month free too. They do different deals all the time sometimes more than one deal running at once!! So check about first to make sure you get the best one! + they do show the sopranos the newest series too - my hubbys fav show too!!

Good Luck
Suzy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Austar is country Foxtel so not applicable if you will be living in one of the major cities.

There are much better ways of getting most of the British soaps without paying for crappy Foxtel (we couldn't wait to get out of our contract it is really awful). Let me know if you need any help
Hi,we are heading for Frankston area,Iam into the football and lots of other sports so it is not just for the wifes soaps!!I think we will go for foxtel but I am not too keen on getting locked in to a 2 year contract,we will be there in just over a fortnight so suss it all then,thanks Dave
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

The one thing i fond annoying about Austar is that when we have bad weather it disrupts the signal. So when our deal is up i will be swapping to Foxtel if the same thing does not happen to it.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi,thanks I just found Austar website and it is not possible to get it in areawe are going,have to be Foxtel,do you know if they show The Sopranos on Foxtel,its my fav show,cheers Dave
You get the Sopranos on both, i have just started to watch it again and last weeks episode Steve (can not remember his second name but he was in reservoir dogs ) has just come out of prison.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all depends on your area. We were in between the too and then found out foxtel wasnt available in our area becuase the two only work in seperate areas