Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie wills and directives...

Aussie wills and directives...

Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie wills and directives...

Hi there,

We have a Canadian will (and Power of Attorney and Personal Directive) that we had done for us about 3 years ago, but since we're living in Australia now (and for the next 5 years or more), we thought we'd better look into getting an Australian one done. I think it was about $600 Cdn for everything for both of us.

Is it fairly straightforward here? Well, as much as it can be I suppose with minor children involved and assets still overseas.

Anything migrants in particular need to know?

Also, for those of you with children, how did you handle the guardianship upon death aspect. Would you be sending your children back to your original home country if you still have family there? How does that work when it involves relatives from overseas taking custody of the kids?

Sorry for the deep questions...I was just wondering what others had done.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie wills and directives...

We did mirror wills...if I die goes to H, if he dies, goes to me, if we both die then....

We put a clause in to say if we die, our 2 year old will go to guardianship of a family member in home country. We did this as family is our preference and right now she has no huge connections with Aus. We have also stipulated temp guardianship to some friends locally til she can be collected (as hated the thought of her in care).

When she is older and settled at school/more aware of where she is, we will look to change the wills.

Cost 300 bucks through a local solicitor in family law.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...I forgot obviously the kids would have to stay with someone here until the relatives come to collect them...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

The Public Trustee may be cheaper than a solicitor - check out http://www.publictrustee.wa.gov.au/_..._testament.pdf.

If only you lived in Qld, where the will drafting service is free