Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return -panic!!

Tax return -panic!!

Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:15 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax return -panic!!

Finally got round this morning to thinking about getting this sorted, we haven't been able to do it online as we own a MAC computer and it is not compatible with that. Just dowloaded the forms only to notice they should be in by 31st October -WHOOPS!! What should I do??
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return -panic!!

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Finally got round this morning to thinking about getting this sorted, we haven't been able to do it online as we own a MAC computer and it is not compatible with that. Just dowloaded the forms only to notice they should be in by 31st October -WHOOPS!! What should I do??
Are you using a tax agent or doing it yourself. If using a tax agent, then they have their own tax return lodgement dates.

If you're doing it yourself, send it in as soon as possible. the following info may be of some use.

What penalties will you be charged if you don’t lodge your tax return on time?
Penalties are imposed on a case–by-case basis and depend on your lodgment history, amount of tax payable and when your tax return is lodged. We cannot tell you whether a penalty will be applied, or the amount, before you lodge your tax return.

However, our policy is not to apply a penalty if your tax return:

is lodged voluntarily, and
does not result in any tax payable.
If your tax return results in you having to pay money to the Tax Office and you don't pay on time, we may impose general interest charges starting from the date the payment was due.

If you disagree with the imposition of penalties or general interest charge, refer to Objections, amendments and reviews essentials.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:04 am
ABCDiamond

Make sure you are due a rebate, to avoid any late fines !!

If they owe you, you are OK, but if not.... $$$$

Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:06 am
ABCDiamond

Just a thought, I wonder if you can claim the cost of a 'proper' computer, to enable you to do the tax return

Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are expecting a refund then don't worry about it. We did our first 3 years' returns all at once last year and because we were getting money back there was no dramas.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just a thought, I wonder if you can claim the cost of a 'proper' computer, to enable you to do the tax return
The tax break for computers is ending soon (according to our tax agent) so if he wants to buy a real one now would be the time.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:27 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The tax break for computers is ending soon (according to our tax agent) so if he wants to buy a real one now would be the time.
.... but would they (the ATO) allow the computer rebate for home use?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future

Just went to buy a laptop as I downloaded the forms and thought they were a complete nightmare, is the E-tax compatible with Windows 7, could not see it on the ATO website
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:09 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by The Bloke
If you have school aged children then you can claim it as an educational expense.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd call them and explain the problem. I technically filed late by 7 months the year before last (because of a problem with accountants) and they just sent me a letter saying I was late and that they would let me off this time.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I too need to do my taxes to pay for school fees and new school uniforms and xmas...

What is putting me off is that i have had 4 jobs in that tax year, one of the jobs was working from home so have alot of deductions to claim - some of those deductions im not sure if i would be better claiming on the educational tax refund or on my deductions or whether i could claim half on the ed tax ref and the other half on my ded..... its such a headache... i have a bag of receipts and need to prinnt off my phone internet invoices its such a hassle but I guess it will b worth it in the end.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:30 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you have school aged children then you can claim it as an educational expense.

I think that ABC is suggesting that if you have to have a Windows based computer to complete your tax return with, because they only offer the Etax software as Windows compatible, then surely you could claim the cost of an additional Windows computer because it was necessary to complete your tax return...

I can't fault his logic. I use Linux/Unix at home, so can't use Etax either, as it's not compatible. Maybe I should buy a spangly new Windows machine just to do my tax with, and claim it on next year's return...

S
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:41 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Gonna bite the bullet and buy a laptop, I can claim back for educational expenses as am a teacher and have school aged children. Also our eldest wants one for xmas so will buy one now, use it (in secret) and them give it him for xmas.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say the education 50% back if you buy education items for school kids.
*This is only available to PR people.

Temp visa dont qualify. My ENS should be granted soon, so Im planning on a couple of new computers after Christmas and claiming 50% on the kids education.

Gems
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I think that ABC is suggesting that if you have to have a Windows based computer to complete your tax return with, because they only offer the Etax software as Windows compatible, then surely you could claim the cost of an additional Windows computer because it was necessary to complete your tax return...

I can't fault his logic. I use Linux/Unix at home, so can't use Etax either, as it's not compatible. Maybe I should buy a spangly new Windows machine just to do my tax with, and claim it on next year's return...

S
Why not just get windows and install it on bootcamp assuming the mac is new enough. That's what I did Windows 7 ultimate on bootcamp. ETax complains on install but it works without any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.