British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aussie TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aussie-tv-171578/)

TimEh? Aug 12th 2003 2:07 pm

Re: Aussie TV

Originally posted by Wilf
Hello Tim.

Yes, that version of 1984 was in 1954, so it says on my copy. I did not see it at the time but was bought the video by one of my kids (I have always liked the book) and was very impressed with it. You will like this Tim - it also has Wilf(red Bramble) in it and Don Pleasance(you know pleasancefamily on this forum)'s namesake. Good eh?

I saw it live... I was - err let me see - well let's just say quite young. All I remember of it was a child snatching a crust from a baby in a cot. But yes, a great story and a great book.

I liked Hornblower and I really liked the books (read 'em all). They inspired me to take up sailing and boat-building. Another great one from Britain in that same genre was "Longitude" It was about the invention of the first sea-worthy clocks. (It was more interesting than it sounds.)

Jolyn Aug 13th 2003 11:33 am

I didn't mind Oz tv as entertainment - apart from the endless ads.

All the American dramas we watch - CSI, Law & Order, ER and the comedies like Scrubs, Friends etc are all on there. Oz is a couple of series ahead on the ones that are on Channel 5 here though so we'll be left wondering what happened to some of the characters!

Will miss some British dramas/detective shows although most of the big name ones make their ways to Oz eventually - Morse & Frost did. The ones that don't are usually not such big hits in the UK either - the darker, slower moving ones. Haven't seen Judge John Deed on the schedules yet though which is a shame - a lot of UK politics/legal system references in that so maybe it won't make it across.

Casualty was on endlessly in Oz.

Won't miss the fly-on-the-wall and lifestyle programmes - they're just as rubbish in Oz too.

Most nights there's nothing worth watching on TV in Oz same as the UK.:D

Anyone complaining about TV in Oz 'cos it doesn't have Eastenders or Corrie on enough deserves all our sympathy...

pommie bastard Aug 14th 2003 4:11 am

Originally posted by Jolyn

Won't miss the fly-on-the-wall and lifestyle programmes - they're just as rubbish in Oz too.

Most nights there's nothing worth watching on TV in Oz same as the UK.:D

Anyone complaining about TV in Oz 'cos it doesn't have Eastenders or Corrie on enough deserves all our sympathy...

No we complaining about the shite Aussie made crap like Blue Heelers, Water Rats, Home and Away ,Today Tonight , Current Affair and the like that stuff up most of prime time TV here.

:D :cool: :beer:

Florida_03 Aug 14th 2003 5:31 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
No we complaining about the shite Aussie made crap like Blue Heelers, Water Rats, Home and Away ,Today Tonight , Current Affair and the like that stuff up most of prime time TV here.

Prime time? OB time...what do they have on the tele in the OB? Benny Hill?

pommie bastard Aug 14th 2003 5:33 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
A bloody great telly booming out Foxtel .

renth Aug 14th 2003 5:35 am

Originally posted by Florida_03
What about Australian Idol - that rocks! I reckon the "Pig farmer with a makover" is going to win.

Florida_03 Aug 14th 2003 5:39 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
A bloody great telly booming out Foxtel .

Ah...Gilligan's Island reruns...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip.
That started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
and PB was brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day,
for a three hour tour, a three hour tour………
The weather started getting rough,
the tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
the Minnow would be lost; the Minnow would be lost.
The ship took ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,
with Gilligan, and PB too,
the Millionaire, and his Wife,
the Movie Star, the Professor and Mary Ann,
here on Gilligan's Isle.

Do they ever get off the desert isle?

Florida_03 Aug 14th 2003 7:23 am

Originally posted by renth
What about Australian Idol - that rocks! I reckon the "Pig farmer with a makover" is going to win.
Missed that one. Too many worms to exterminate.