Aussie TV

Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:21 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Aussie TV

Just out of interest...what is it that you people in aus (or have been in aus), don't like about aus TV, APART FROM THE ADS.

I agree btw, when i was out there i did'nt think much of it, but does'nt bother me as i don't watch much TV here so i very much doubt i will start over there.

Just interested, as i spent Friday with a bunch of about 20 aussies, and they ALL thought our TV over here was crap !! Found it quite ironic really. They reckon that thier terrestrial has far better sports coverage, and more variety that our TV. They were saying that all that comes on UK are gritty dark drama and dodgy soaps (including home and away !!).

Thoughts anyone?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:19 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Just had a look whats on this evening on BBC TV.

Apart from news, only thing that looked interesting:
Hindu Nation

Never watch Aus free to air commercial TV - programming looks like the other BBC shows but with added commercials:
http://www.ten.com.au/main_idx.aspx?...n=programGuide

Old Aug 11th 2003, 1:08 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Aussie TV

Here in South Australia, sport means "Footy" aka Aussie Rules. If you don't like it, there's not much else on offer.

The F1 Grand Prix from Europe are time delayed to make them even less available. There's little or no mention of any sport outside of Aus. They seem reluctant to tell you that the NZ'ers won the Tri-nations (I found out from the BBC news web front page).

I watched a film on 10 last night, "Vertical Limit" - I thought it'd never end with all the ads and news breaks (channel 5 in the UK are just as guilty though). If that wasn't bad enough, captions kept appearing to tell me to vote in the Australian Idol competition. Yawn.

I only watched the film to kill time to watch the time delayed game between Man U and Arsenal on SBS. I was too tired in the end to watch the 2nd half.

Anyone seen the oriental woman reading the SBS world news ?. What planet is she from ?. I first saw her being mocked on a sketch show as "Some Bizarre Sheila". Too right!.

ABC seems to be constant BBC dramas, which I just can't be bothered with. I never watched them in the UK, I'd I'll be buggered if I'm gonna start now.

All the Aussie soaps are ruined (ha, as if they could get worse) by the trailers they show to give away the plot for the next episode. The tabloids I never read in the UK were guilty of this, but the stations themselves can't help tell you that "X is going to die in tomorrow's episode".

I like the guy on 7's breakfast show. He's good for a laugh - I listen to about 15 minutes of him whilst eating breakfast.

I listen to more radio than I watch TV. Maybe that's a little to do with the fact that "Le Cornu" are 3 weeks late delivering my sofas. When I lie on the floor to watch tv my dog snuggles up to me, and he smells a bit.

I prefer the net to Aussie TV.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 11:07 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by PeteY
Just out of interest...what is it that you people in aus (or have been in aus), don't like about aus TV, APART FROM THE ADS.

I agree btw, when i was out there i did'nt think much of it, but does'nt bother me as i don't watch much TV here so i very much doubt i will start over there.

Just interested, as i spent Friday with a bunch of about 20 aussies, and they ALL thought our TV over here was crap !! Found it quite ironic really. They reckon that thier terrestrial has far better sports coverage, and more variety that our TV. They were saying that all that comes on UK are gritty dark drama and dodgy soaps (including home and away !!).

Thoughts anyone?

Cant stand all those realiity shows, Big brother, Survivor. Nor Neighbours and home and away.
We get a lot of US sitcom stuff - mostly repeats and flaming Days of our Life and that other one Young and the restless.
Watch the ABC more than the other stations although I do like to watch some of the lifestyle shows - Better Homes etc. and Getaway and the Great Outdoors etc.
Dont have pay tv so cannot say whats on there.

Carol

Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Thoughts anyone?
I tend to watch "pay TV". I can't stand free to air... the rubbish which they show. I have just spent a week without pay TV and was forced to watch free TV news... arrggg. The world outside Australia could have blown up for all I knew. Pay TV is a must if you want world news and are not too fond of Aussie news stories like Shane warne telephone sex again, Aussie swimmers blah and blah, and current affair programmes such as "Today Tonight" testing the difference between the taste of a "home brand" food product and a brand product... exciting stuff. I don't think. The news here is dreadful! They have about five to ten minutes of real news and the rest of the 20 minute programme seems to me to be taken up with sport news and such.

There are not many documentaries and such on free to air either like nature programmes, or things like "Tomorrows world". "top Gear" and such. Aussie TV is full of US sitcoms and a few home grown ones too , repeats after repeats... Fraiser, Seinfield (again!), police dramas and such. At the moment there seems to be a spate of do-it- yourself /, home renovating shows. Then Big brother... my gawd who on earth watches that cr*P... people watching people sitting in a house talking. .. I don't get it. .... Just buy a pair binoculars and spy on your next door neighbours if you like to nose at other people ...

Cheers
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:07 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts anyone?

You believe anything the Aussies tell you , they import 20% of their programs from the UK and most of the rest from America then fill in the gaps with sport and a couple of rip off Brit ideas like Changing Rooms, get real.
The TV here is less than poor thanks to more adverts than most handle and local crap like Blue Heelers.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 12th 2003 at 1:53 am.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Fact that they still show Benny Hill.

News consists maninly of swimming medals/or how the other team cheated.

News poll like this mornings:- Do you believe Shane Warne (cricketer) made smutty phone calls to woman in South Africa. Like as if I bloody care.

Basing a show around renovating a flat then having 60 minutes cover that show as their main story! Then following up with highlights? of the renovation every monday night.

Showing stuff from 1998 in Peak time.

Shall I go on.....
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:38 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You believe anything the Aussies tell you , they import 20% of their programs from the UK and most of the rest from America then full in the gaps with sport and a couple of rip off Brit ideas like Changing Rooms, get real.
The TV here is less than poor thanks to more adverts than most handle and local crap like Blue Heelers.

Why does BBC TV broadcast similar "crap" like:
1. Eastenders,
2. Neighbours,
3. Holby City,
4. The Eustace Bros,
5. The Office,
to name but a few?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:45 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
1. Eastenders,
2. Neighbours,
3. Holby City,
4. The Eustace Bros,
5. The Office,
to name but a few?

Megalania

I had credited you with a sense of humour and you don't like The Office? Also what is The Eustace Bros of which you speak, I've only been in Oz eight months and never heard of it, have you bee in/reading up on UK again?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

5. The Office,

to name but a few?
The Office, crap? are you insane? You probably think Fawlty Towers is crap too.

Pizza was on SBS last night, that's funny as is Kath and Kim on ABC.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Another bad thing is when you switch on for the advertised program and find that it has been replaced by "A Bug's Life" in the evening schedules, wiping out two hours of programmes that you thought were going to be on. And then they do the same next week with some other family film. On the plus side, dropping Sean Micalleff mid season. On the big plus side, Andrew Denton's Enough Rope is very good.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Fact that they still show Benny Hill.

News consists maninly of swimming medals/or how the other team cheated.

News poll like this mornings:- Do you believe Shane Warne (cricketer) made smutty phone calls to woman in South Africa. Like as if I bloody care.

Basing a show around renovating a flat then having 60 minutes cover that show as their main story! Then following up with highlights? of the renovation every monday night.

Showing stuff from 1998 in Peak time.

Shall I go on.....
Not a medal mentioned. Which are bigger your "bollocks" or the "bollocks" you write?
SBS WORLD NEWS BULLETIN (6:30pm, 11 AUGUST 2003)

Seek justification for flight to London elsewhere.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:57 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Not a medal mentioned. Which are bigger your "bollocks" or the "bollocks" you write?

SBS and ABC are better than the shite on the main channels like 'Today Tonight" ( Are carrots cheaper WA) , 'Current Affair'( people are mugs and we have plenty watching this) .

Old Aug 12th 2003, 1:58 am
Karma Comedian

Can't complain about SBS but Channel 9's flagship show 60 minutes have 'why is reality tv so appealing' and 'what about Christine Aguilera'. Hardly Panorama.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/
Old Aug 12th 2003, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Another bad thing is when you switch on for the advertised program and find that it has been replaced by "A Bug's Life" in the evening schedules, wiping out two hours of programmes that you thought were going to be on. And then they do the same next week with some other family film. On the plus side, dropping Sean Micalleff mid season. On the big plus side, Andrew Denton's Enough Rope is very good.
I like Sean Micalleff. I find him quite funny and very likeable. Trouble is, the guests are often useless. I saw that little git Ben Elton on it a while ago now and he was trying to kiss so much Oz arse it was embarrassing: "Greadest coundry in der world, ya got here in Oz", etc, etc. Made me sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.