British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aussie TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aussie-tv-171578/)

PeteY Aug 11th 2003 11:21 am

Aussie TV

Just out of interest...what is it that you people in aus (or have been in aus), don't like about aus TV, APART FROM THE ADS.

I agree btw, when i was out there i did'nt think much of it, but does'nt bother me as i don't watch much TV here so i very much doubt i will start over there.

Just interested, as i spent Friday with a bunch of about 20 aussies, and they ALL thought our TV over here was crap !! Found it quite ironic really. They reckon that thier terrestrial has far better sports coverage, and more variety that our TV. They were saying that all that comes on UK are gritty dark drama and dodgy soaps (including home and away !!).

Thoughts anyone?

The Tooth Fairy Aug 11th 2003 12:19 pm

Just had a look whats on this evening on BBC TV.

Apart from news, only thing that looked interesting:
Hindu Nation

Never watch Aus free to air commercial TV - programming looks like the other BBC shows but with added commercials:
http://www.ten.com.au/main_idx.aspx?...n=programGuide

welshpom Aug 11th 2003 1:08 pm

Re: Aussie TV

Here in South Australia, sport means "Footy" aka Aussie Rules. If you don't like it, there's not much else on offer.

The F1 Grand Prix from Europe are time delayed to make them even less available. There's little or no mention of any sport outside of Aus. They seem reluctant to tell you that the NZ'ers won the Tri-nations (I found out from the BBC news web front page).

I watched a film on 10 last night, "Vertical Limit" - I thought it'd never end with all the ads and news breaks (channel 5 in the UK are just as guilty though). If that wasn't bad enough, captions kept appearing to tell me to vote in the Australian Idol competition. Yawn.

I only watched the film to kill time to watch the time delayed game between Man U and Arsenal on SBS. I was too tired in the end to watch the 2nd half.

Anyone seen the oriental woman reading the SBS world news ?. What planet is she from ?. I first saw her being mocked on a sketch show as "Some Bizarre Sheila". Too right!.

ABC seems to be constant BBC dramas, which I just can't be bothered with. I never watched them in the UK, I'd I'll be buggered if I'm gonna start now.

All the Aussie soaps are ruined (ha, as if they could get worse) by the trailers they show to give away the plot for the next episode. The tabloids I never read in the UK were guilty of this, but the stations themselves can't help tell you that "X is going to die in tomorrow's episode".

I like the guy on 7's breakfast show. He's good for a laugh - I listen to about 15 minutes of him whilst eating breakfast.

I listen to more radio than I watch TV. Maybe that's a little to do with the fact that "Le Cornu" are 3 weeks late delivering my sofas. When I lie on the floor to watch tv my dog snuggles up to me, and he smells a bit.

I prefer the net to Aussie TV.

Carol in Oz Aug 11th 2003 11:07 pm

Originally posted by PeteY
Just out of interest...what is it that you people in aus (or have been in aus), don't like about aus TV, APART FROM THE ADS.

I agree btw, when i was out there i did'nt think much of it, but does'nt bother me as i don't watch much TV here so i very much doubt i will start over there.

Just interested, as i spent Friday with a bunch of about 20 aussies, and they ALL thought our TV over here was crap !! Found it quite ironic really. They reckon that thier terrestrial has far better sports coverage, and more variety that our TV. They were saying that all that comes on UK are gritty dark drama and dodgy soaps (including home and away !!).

Thoughts anyone?

Cant stand all those realiity shows, Big brother, Survivor. Nor Neighbours and home and away.
We get a lot of US sitcom stuff - mostly repeats and flaming Days of our Life and that other one Young and the restless.
Watch the ABC more than the other stations although I do like to watch some of the lifestyle shows - Better Homes etc. and Getaway and the Great Outdoors etc.
Dont have pay tv so cannot say whats on there.

Carol

Ceri Aug 12th 2003 12:12 am

Thoughts anyone?
I tend to watch "pay TV". I can't stand free to air... the rubbish which they show. I have just spent a week without pay TV and was forced to watch free TV news... arrggg. The world outside Australia could have blown up for all I knew. Pay TV is a must if you want world news and are not too fond of Aussie news stories like Shane warne telephone sex again, Aussie swimmers blah and blah, and current affair programmes such as "Today Tonight" testing the difference between the taste of a "home brand" food product and a brand product... exciting stuff. I don't think. The news here is dreadful! They have about five to ten minutes of real news and the rest of the 20 minute programme seems to me to be taken up with sport news and such.

There are not many documentaries and such on free to air either like nature programmes, or things like "Tomorrows world". "top Gear" and such. Aussie TV is full of US sitcoms and a few home grown ones too , repeats after repeats... Fraiser, Seinfield (again!), police dramas and such. At the moment there seems to be a spate of do-it- yourself /, home renovating shows. Then Big brother... my gawd who on earth watches that cr*P... people watching people sitting in a house talking. .. I don't get it. .... Just buy a pair binoculars and spy on your next door neighbours if you like to nose at other people :D...

Cheers

pommie bastard Aug 12th 2003 1:07 am

Thoughts anyone?

You believe anything the Aussies tell you , they import 20% of their programs from the UK and most of the rest from America then fill in the gaps with sport and a couple of rip off Brit ideas like Changing Rooms, get real.
The TV here is less than poor thanks to more adverts than most handle and local crap like Blue Heelers.

:D :cool: :beer:

dotty Aug 12th 2003 1:32 am

Fact that they still show Benny Hill.

News consists maninly of swimming medals/or how the other team cheated.

News poll like this mornings:- Do you believe Shane Warne (cricketer) made smutty phone calls to woman in South Africa. Like as if I bloody care.

Basing a show around renovating a flat then having 60 minutes cover that show as their main story! Then following up with highlights? of the renovation every monday night.

Showing stuff from 1998 in Peak time.

Shall I go on.....

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 1:38 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You believe anything the Aussies tell you , they import 20% of their programs from the UK and most of the rest from America then full in the gaps with sport and a couple of rip off Brit ideas like Changing Rooms, get real.
The TV here is less than poor thanks to more adverts than most handle and local crap like Blue Heelers.

Why does BBC TV broadcast similar "crap" like:
1. Eastenders,
2. Neighbours,
3. Holby City,
4. The Eustace Bros,
5. The Office,
to name but a few?

jayr Aug 12th 2003 1:45 am

Originally posted by Megalania
1. Eastenders,
2. Neighbours,
3. Holby City,
4. The Eustace Bros,
5. The Office,
to name but a few?

Megalania

I had credited you with a sense of humour and you don't like The Office? Also what is The Eustace Bros of which you speak, I've only been in Oz eight months and never heard of it, have you bee in/reading up on UK again?

renth Aug 12th 2003 1:45 am

5. The Office,

to name but a few?
The Office, crap? are you insane? You probably think Fawlty Towers is crap too.

Pizza was on SBS last night, that's funny as is Kath and Kim on ABC.

jayr Aug 12th 2003 1:48 am

Another bad thing is when you switch on for the advertised program and find that it has been replaced by "A Bug's Life" in the evening schedules, wiping out two hours of programmes that you thought were going to be on. And then they do the same next week with some other family film. On the plus side, dropping Sean Micalleff mid season. On the big plus side, Andrew Denton's Enough Rope is very good.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 1:51 am

Originally posted by dotty
Fact that they still show Benny Hill.

News consists maninly of swimming medals/or how the other team cheated.

News poll like this mornings:- Do you believe Shane Warne (cricketer) made smutty phone calls to woman in South Africa. Like as if I bloody care.

Basing a show around renovating a flat then having 60 minutes cover that show as their main story! Then following up with highlights? of the renovation every monday night.

Showing stuff from 1998 in Peak time.

Shall I go on.....
Not a medal mentioned. Which are bigger your "bollocks" or the "bollocks" you write?
SBS WORLD NEWS BULLETIN (6:30pm, 11 AUGUST 2003)

Seek justification for flight to London elsewhere.

pommie bastard Aug 12th 2003 1:57 am

Not a medal mentioned. Which are bigger your "bollocks" or the "bollocks" you write?

SBS and ABC are better than the shite on the main channels like 'Today Tonight" ( Are carrots cheaper WA) , 'Current Affair'( people are mugs and we have plenty watching this) .

jayr Aug 12th 2003 1:58 am

Can't complain about SBS but Channel 9's flagship show 60 minutes have 'why is reality tv so appealing' and 'what about Christine Aguilera'. Hardly Panorama.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 2:03 am

Originally posted by jayr
Another bad thing is when you switch on for the advertised program and find that it has been replaced by "A Bug's Life" in the evening schedules, wiping out two hours of programmes that you thought were going to be on. And then they do the same next week with some other family film. On the plus side, dropping Sean Micalleff mid season. On the big plus side, Andrew Denton's Enough Rope is very good.
I like Sean Micalleff. I find him quite funny and very likeable. Trouble is, the guests are often useless. I saw that little git Ben Elton on it a while ago now and he was trying to kiss so much Oz arse it was embarrassing: "Greadest coundry in der world, ya got here in Oz", etc, etc. Made me sick.

jayr Aug 12th 2003 2:04 am

SBS and ABC are better than the shite on the main channels like 'Today Tonight" ( Are carrots cheaper WA) , 'Current Affair'( people are mugs and we have plenty watching this) .

Just had a look for ACA and they've got/had a piece on how not to be fooled into buying more than you need in a supermarket and what it must be like if you sweat too much.

jayr Aug 12th 2003 2:08 am

Originally posted by Wilf
I like Sean Micalleff. I find him quite funny and very likeable. Trouble is, the guests are often useless. I saw that little git Ben Elton on it a while ago now and he was trying to kiss so much Oz arse it was embarrassing: "Greadest coundry in der world, ya got here in Oz", etc, etc. Made me sick.

Ok I accept the "quite funny and very likeable" I think he fails in the delivery of his material which often appears well written

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:09 am

Megalania

I had credited you with a sense of humour and you don't like The Office? Also what is The Eustace Bros of which you speak, I've only been in Oz eight months and never heard of it, have you bee in/reading up on UK again?
Worked in enough funny offices not to see the funny side any more.

"A job stripping out a mental asylum threatens to break up the brothers as Clive questions Melissa's role in the business." Hardly on the road to Nirvana.

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 2:09 am

1. Eastenders,
2. Neighbours,
3. Holby City,
4. The Eustace Bros,
5. The Office,
to name but a few?

You must compare like with like. 1 and 3 are high quality soap operas and are much more polished than the Oz equivalents. I do not like that sort of thing, but if you do then they are high quality versions of that sort of programme.

British TV (especially BBC and Channel4) is the finest in the world by far and is acknowledged as such all over the planet. The British made TV into an art form - Dennis Potter, Alan Bleasdale, Ken Loach, and many many more - and it is only on this forum that anyone would say that Britain does not lead the world by quite some way and always has.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:13 am

Originally posted by renth
The Office, crap? are you insane? You probably think Fawlty Towers is crap too.

Pizza was on SBS last night, that's funny as is Kath and Kim on ABC.
Fawlty Towers was funny twice. Especially after having stayed in a Somerset Pub.

After reading about it here, watched a whole "episode" of "Kath and Kim" a week ago to see how the other half lives - think I'll just let them get on with it with out me (or wife).

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 2:15 am

Ok I accept the "quite funny and very likeable" I think he fails in the delivery of his material which often appears well written

Yes, he does have good writers and you have a good point about his reading of the autocue. Do you know a British comedy talkshow host called Johnathon Ross? I saw a programme he did many years ago in England called Last Resort (?). I liked him a lot and I think Sean Micallef is likeable in the same way. In the UK, you get all the good guests though because the yanks don't mind coming out of their bunkers for a few hours to the UK and there are a lot of good interview guests in the UK and so that gave Johnathon Ross an advantage too.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:18 am

Can't complain about SBS but Channel 9's flagship show 60 minutes have 'why is reality tv so appealing' and 'what about Christine Aguilera'. Hardly Panorama.

I have been quite surprised at times as to who actually watches "60 minutes".

dotty Aug 12th 2003 2:22 am

Cant get SBS megs, see I am doing my greenie phase thing, house is well hidden in trees and reception to SBS Zero. Thankfully tho Ray Martin is in my past due to the delights of Pay TV bringing me Biz Asia, CBS and BBC.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:22 am

You must compare like with like. 1 and 3 are high quality soap operas and are much more polished than the Oz equivalents. I do not like that sort of thing, but if you do then they are high quality versions of that sort of programme.

British TV (especially BBC and Channel4) is the finest in the world by far and is acknowledged as such all over the planet. The British made TV into an art form - Dennis Potter, Alan Bleasdale, Ken Loach, and many many more - and it is only on this forum that anyone would say that Britain does not lead the world by quite some way and always has.
Sorry, I have not progressed beyond laundry soap.

Double sorry, forget the "art", give me the facts.

pommie bastard Aug 12th 2003 2:25 am

The cockney git is rooting an Aussie girl so what you expect , next marriage he will get a Yank and tell us he loves America.

dotty Aug 12th 2003 2:29 am

I believe next weeks world breaking news story is "Our Kylie and how to get her bottom".

Thats anothe point I have why does OZ never notice that all of its famous people have left 10 years ago.

Or why does it claim anyone who ever entererd a transit lounge in Sydney as Australian once they become famous.

The picture of Tony Blair on the front page of weekend paper declaring him as the aussie who went to the top was a beauty. (It seems he lived in OZ when he was three for a whole year).

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 2:35 am

Sorry, I have not progressed beyond laundry soap.

Double sorry, forget the "art", give me the facts.
OK. Some great British TV I have seen:

1. Boys from the blackstuff
2. The monocled mutineer
3. Poor cow
4. Rumpole of the Bailey
5. The history man
6. Fawlty Towers
7. Auf Wiedersehen Pet
8. Alan Partridge
9. League of Gentlemen
10. Dads Army
11. Hancock's half hour
12. Rising Damp
13. Reggie Perrin
14. 1984 (with Peter Cushing)
15. Doctor Who
16. Tomorrow's World
17. Panorama
18. World in Action
19. Blue Peter
20. Private Schultz

I will stop at 20 but there are so many many many more great telly programmes from Britain that it makes me feel very proud to be British. The peoples of the little islands of Britain have produced the greatest work in every field and area known to humanity - arts, sciences, scholarship of all kind, entertainment - and they still do it, year in, year out, now.

Britain is the greatest place in the world (N Ireland + Wales + England + Scotland).

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:42 am

1. Boys from the blackstuff
2. The monocled mutineer
3. Poor cow
4. Rumpole of the Bailey
5. The history man
6. Fawlty Towers
7. Auf Wiedersehen Pet
8. Alan Partridge
9. League of Gentlemen
10. Dads Army
11. Hancock's half hour
12. Rising Damp
13. Reggie Perrin
15. Doctor Who
16. Tomorrow's World
17. Panorama
18. World in Action
19. Blue Peter
20. Private Schultz

I will stop at 20 but there are so many many many more great telly programmes from Britain that it makes me feel very proud to be British. The peoples of the little islands of Britain have produced the greatest work in every field and area known to humanity - arts, sciences, scholarship of all kind, entertainment - and they still do it, year in, year out, now.

Britain is the greatest place in the world (N Ireland + Wales + England + Scotland).
I stopped watching at 20 too, then I started thinking and look where that's got me.

Brits may have achieved according to their measures but what have you done since 1980 except practice the lamenting arts?

Ceri Aug 12th 2003 2:48 am

Originally posted by dotty
Cant get SBS megs, see I am doing my greenie phase thing, house is well hidden in trees and reception to SBS Zero. Thankfully tho Ray Martin is in my past due to the delights of Pay TV bringing me Biz Asia, CBS and BBC.

Funny you say that... I've just moved into new house bush at the back . I'm having real trouble picking up free to air picture . I can get channel 9 clearly... a good pic, 7 is terrible, 10 has lines... ABC- rubbish, can't see it ... sbs ... I haven't looked at that picture yet.

Hubby has been up on the roof looking like an orang-utan , me on one phone.. him on the other ... moving the antennae.. trying to get a good pic... no joy

Cable TV , well satellite TV for me ... shows SBS and ABC... those two stations must broadcast on Satellite.

The joys of living next to the bush. eh .. and when a bird sits on my satellite it glitches... must get a shot gun, only joking.

But anyway... we are having real probs trying to pick up a picture, thought it may be a crap antenna or something... was going to buy another one, don't think I'll bother now. after reading your post ... it looks as if we having normal problems..

cheers:)

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 2:52 am

I watching stopped at 20 too, then I started thinking and look where that's got me.

Brits may have achieved according to their measures but what have you done since 1980 except practice the lamenting arts?

I meant the other Brits, not this one. I excel in my own areas but no-one ever got famous for their mortice and tenon joints to my knowledge. Still, I had my uses and I never had to advertise for work, so I can't be too bad.

I am thinking of becoming a life coach now, to give me something to do in retirement. I read about them in the newspaper and think it is just the job for me. I will have this country emptied of young and clever Ozzies in 1 year. You can keep the useless pom refugees on this site.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 2:59 am

I meant the other Brits, not this one. I excel in my own areas but no-one ever got famous for their mortice and tenon joints to my knowledge. Still, I had my uses and I never had to advertise for work, so I can't be too bad.

I am thinking of becoming a life coach now, to give me something to do in retirement. I read about them in the newspaper and think it is just the job for me. I will have this country emptied of young and clever Ozzies in 1 year. You can keep the useless pom refugees on this site.
Hope you were better at coaxing custom from creaking joints than your coaching skills have hitherto indicated.

janeyray Aug 12th 2003 3:05 am

We aren't allowed a tv ariel on our roof (at the dog box in Ellenbrook) so I have to make do with ariel with MASSIVE metal bits sticking out, I think they call them 'Rabbit Ears'!!???!!! So I can't get a good reception on all the programs. $400 for an ariel IN the roof!

Will wait a bit, the tv's not that good to warrant one!!:)

pommie bastard Aug 12th 2003 3:06 am

I watching stopped at 20 too, then I started thinking and look where that's got me.

You are right the quality Aussie TV like-

Blue Heelers
Home and Away
Neighbours
Water rats

is not to be bettered I am sure world class crap comes to mind .

TimEh? Aug 12th 2003 3:09 am

19. Blue Peter
1984 - bloody 'ell Wilf, that ones going back a bit (if its the version I'm thinking of).

"Blue Peter" :rolleyes:

Now boys and girls, this is how we build a nuclear power station: We take some toilet rolls, tin foil, pipe cleaners and fissionable material and sort of put it all together and...

That entry in your list was a joke, right?

Jeepers, no one's mentioned "The Crocodile Hunter" or is that show not allowed in Oz?

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 3:10 am

You are right the quality Aussie TV like-

Blue Heelers
Home and Away
Neighbours
Water rats

is not to be bettered I am sure world class crap comes to mind .

Which is worse, the nightly straight jacket or the match sticks they use to prop open your eyes?

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 3:11 am

Hope you were better at coaxing custom from creaking joints than your coaching skills have hitherto indicated.

I have been trained by Ellen1 on this site in the methods of tough love - she is a social worker that would scare Mike Tyson - and so you have to look beyond my manner and see the heart of gold within.

I am planning to set up a recruitment agency in UK and US for the clever Ozzie kids so that they can dump this place behnd them and leave it for the immo poms with their half-arsed trade skills and fondness for sand rather than income, challenge, and something to make them stretch themselves. It will be a good swap for the UK and US and I can take a cut from future wages earnt by my punters.

I feel sympathy for educated Ozzie youth and will be doing something of which I can be proud by helping them to get somewhere that will appreciate their hard-won skills more than those of a labourer from the UK who probably couldn't be arsed to even bother at school and has done even less since.

Megalania Aug 12th 2003 3:22 am

I have been trained by Ellen1 on this site in the methods of tough love - she is a social worker that would scare Mike Tyson - and so you have to look beyond my manner and see the heart of gold within.

I am planning to set up a recruitment agency in UK and US for the clever Ozzie kids so that they can dump this place behnd them and leave it for the immo poms with their half-arsed trade skills and fondness for sand rather than income, challenge, and something to make them stretch themselves. It will be a good swap for the UK and US and I can take a cut from future wages earnt by my punters.

I feel sympathy for educated Ozzie youth and will be doing something of which I can be proud by helping them to get somewhere that will appreciate their hard-won skills more than those of a labourer from the UK who probably couldn't be arsed to even bother at school and has done even less since.
Have you heard of the "Internet" - sort of like a telegraph machine and a colour TV rolled into one. Anyway, you can setup a labour market on it for very little capital outlay then sit back anywhere in the world and wait for the money to roll in.

pommie bastard Aug 12th 2003 3:25 am

Originally posted by TimEh?

Jeepers, no one's mentioned "The Crocodile Hunter" or is that show not allowed in Oz?

Choice between a night in watching the BBC program 'Hornblower'
or Aussie shite "The Crocodile Hunter" your call?
I gave you an even chance if I said the BBCs 'Walking with dinosaurs' you would have had none.

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 3:28 am

Originally posted by TimEh?
1984 - bloody 'ell Wilf, that ones going back a bit (if its the version I'm thinking of).

"Blue Peter" :rolleyes:

Now boys and girls, this is how we build a nuclear power station: We take some toilet rolls, tin foil, pipe cleaners and fissionable material and sort of put it all together and...

That entry in your list was a joke, right?

Hello Tim.

Yes, that version of 1984 was in 1954, so it says on my copy. I did not see it at the time but was bought the video by one of my kids (I have always liked the book) and was very impressed with it. You will like this Tim - it also has Wilf(red Bramble) in it and Don Pleasance(you know pleasancefamily on this forum)'s namesake. Good eh?

I do not personally like Blue Peter but I do think it is a flagship kids show and has been very influential. It is like the records list on the forum - I do not like the Beatles at all myself, but would pick one of their records for a top ten just out of appreciation - I do not like them but can see what they did is good stuff.

The Crocodile Hunter - is that Steve Irwin's show? I like that bloke but he always wants to hog all the animals to himself and cannot be left out when other people want to have a go. He puts me in mind of a 40 year old little boy and I suppose that makes me laugh and that is the appeal of his stuff for me.

Wilf Aug 12th 2003 3:33 am

Choice between a night in watching the BBC program 'Hornblower'
or Aussie shite "The Crocodile Hunter" your call?
I gave you an even chance if I said the BBCs 'Walking with dinosaurs' you would have had none.

I like Hornblower very much too and Walking with dinosaurs. Neither are in the top drawer of Brit telly, for me, but still very entertaining. If they were made by any other country they would be the best they had ever done but with Britain there is so much great stuff they are just the usual excellent productions and you take them for granted. That is the thing with Britain and when people say "there is no such thing as Brit culture" - Brit culture is the modern world's culture and so is taken for granted but take it away and the skeleton of the modern world is gone.