Aussie Oddities

Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Aussie Oddities

Well we've been here 4 1/2 months now and have been in our house for nearly 3. Feeling quite settled but some things about Aus still throw me.....

It's a bit chilly here this morning and I've got a real craving for old fashioned English rice pudding. You know - with the brown crusty skin on top
So off I trot to Coles and go up and down the aisles looking for pudding rice. Can I find it anywhere? No I bl**dy can't. The lady at the checkout says she makes hers with long grain rice?

Doesn't pudding rice exist in Oz? Wondered whether to have a go with arborio rice as that looks a bit similar but don't want to waste loads of milk to find it tastes disgusting!!

Any recipes/tips appreciated
Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Oddities

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Well we've been here 4 1/2 months now and have been in our house for nearly 3. Feeling quite settled but some things about Aus still throw me.....

It's a bit chilly here this morning and I've got a real craving for old fashioned English rice pudding. You know - with the brown crusty skin on top
So off I trot to Coles and go up and down the aisles looking for pudding rice. Can I find it anywhere? No I bl**dy can't. The lady at the checkout says she makes hers with long grain rice?

Doesn't pudding rice exist in Oz? Wondered whether to have a go with arborio rice as that looks a bit similar but don't want to waste loads of milk to find it tastes disgusting!!

I can't abide rice pudding but did some research because I'd forgotten all about pudding rice.

Pudding rice certainly doesn't exist here (apparantly it's an English oddity!). Most countries in the world that make rice puddings just use an ordinary short or medium grain rice. Italians make rice pudding with arborio successfully. You can get a japanese short-grain in Australia that supposedly works well or alternatively use anything labelled medium-grain.

The only variety that is not so good to use is long-grain - but only because it doesn't have that gelatinous quality that makes the grains go gluggy.

Best thing to do, I guess, is experiment .

Forgot to add interesting link on this very topic with recipes
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...588372048.html

Last edited by NickyC; Jun 16th 2006 at 2:53 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Aussie Oddities

My mother used to make rice pudding, and I'm an Aussie.

Rice pudding is an old Australian favourite; here's a recipe from an Aussie site:

Betty's Rice Pudding

1 cup rice
2 eggs
Half cup sugar
1 cup milk
Vanilla
Coconut and/or raisins (1/2 cup each)
Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste

Boil rice. Drain and set aside.
Beat eggs, add sugar and milk.
Add coconut and/or raisins and a little vanilla to taste.
Add rice and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Bake in moderate oven (approx. 180°C) for 20 minutes.
Serve with stewed apricots, King Island cream, and a sauterne.
The CWA Cookbook probably has a rice pudding recipe too; I'd be amazed if it didn't.

Alternatively, you can buy creamed rice in tins at your local supermarket; it's no substitute for the real thing, but it can help to ease the cravings.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 16th 2006 at 3:38 am.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:03 am
bjw
Forum Regular

bjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nicebjw is just really nice

ARBORIO Rice will work! done it myself long grain won't doesn't go gluppy enough.

Bec
Old Jun 16th 2006, 5:05 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicola,

Sushi rice works well, use plenty of vanilla but make sure you rinse it before you use it!

Hope you're all well

Dave
Old Jun 16th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Rice pudding does exist here ive had some. And you can get the different flavours as well
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:00 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Cravings...... Getting up early.....

Sod rice pudding - you're preggers
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

I'm in Melbourne and there's rice pudding here. Also, found it when we were doing the reccie trip a couple of years back. My son who's now 3yrs old loved it.

I have a recipe for Basmati Rice Pudding (It's low G.I. so good for you too!) - Serves 4.

750ml (1.25 pint) skimmed milk
120g (4oz) basmati rice
sweetener equivalent to 60g (2oz)
1tsp vanilla essence
0.25tsp ground cardamom or cinnamon
2 peaches or nectarines

Bring milk and rice to the boil over a medium heat.
Reduce heat to low;stir,cover and cook for approx 30 mins or until most of the milk has been absorbed.
Stir in the sweetener, vanilla and cardamom.
Spoon on top of the fruit
Old Jun 19th 2006, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that - all very interesting. Didn't think to do some research on the net. DOH!

Originally Posted by nickyc
I can't abide rice pudding but did some research because I'd forgotten all about pudding rice.

Pudding rice certainly doesn't exist here (apparantly it's an English oddity!). Most countries in the world that make rice puddings just use an ordinary short or medium grain rice. Italians make rice pudding with arborio successfully. You can get a japanese short-grain in Australia that supposedly works well or alternatively use anything labelled medium-grain.

The only variety that is not so good to use is long-grain - but only because it doesn't have that gelatinous quality that makes the grains go gluggy.

Old Jun 20th 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Hi Nicola,

Sushi rice works well, use plenty of vanilla but make sure you rinse it before you use it!

Hope you're all well

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that - will give it a go.

We're all fine - weather's a bit miserable at the mo but then it is the middle of winter
Old Jun 20th 2006, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

When my mother in law was here she made us rice pudding with Arborio Mediterranean rice as has been suggested. It tasted just like rice pudding should to me.

Katie
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc

Love ricepudding, and buy it in tins from Aldis.