Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Newspapers

Aussie Newspapers

Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Newspapers

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
But the 1 paper thing is probably a good thing as Australian news (paper and TV) only report Australian stories, the outside world doesn’t usually exist.

Mikey
Eh? Think you'll find some even have an International section. Or am I really living in a parallel world...

http://www.theage.com.au/world/
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:12 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Eh? Think you'll find some even have an International section. Or am I really living in a parallel world...

As you say, they do have international sections but seeing as at least 80% of the news in this section is nothing to do with the UK this doesn't count
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

If you want to know what's really going on you have to read the independents like Crikey.com. the Monthly, etc. Like everywhere else in the world, newspapers in Australia are dying a slow death as advertising shrinks. Murdoch's papers (news.com.au) are generally right wing, but will back Labor when it suits his business interests. Fairfax papers are centrist/liberal.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
If you want to know what's really going on you have to read the independents like Crikey.com. the Monthly, etc. Like everywhere else in the world, newspapers in Australia are dying a slow death as advertising shrinks. Murdoch's papers (news.com.au) are generally right wing, but will back Labor when it suits his business interests. Fairfax papers are centrist/liberal.
Agree.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Humm, we said “news papers” but seeing as you picked online news, while yes it has an international section, it’s limited and late – their current “breaking news” story happened yesterday.

So while the rare occasion that Australian papers, TV and online media do report outside news, it’s very limited and almost always late. And in saying that, usually international news is only reported if it involves an Australian, or something Australian related.

It’s just lucky we have the internet, otherwise we’d miss half the stuff – thank god for online CNN, BBC, FOX and SKY.

Australian news sites don’t even update over the weekends!

Mikey
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Humm, we said “news papers” but seeing as you picked online news
The online site of a newspaper!

And in saying that, usually international news is only reported if it involves an Australian, or something Australian related.
One of the biggest myths found on this site. I direct you to the same link. Plenty of things get covered. If there is a slant, in some stories, its due to the fact Australians write about Australian angles. The only blatant celebrity style reporting of Australians tends to be about household names and seem to be in the tabloids or the free goss rag that gets circulated, and why not. Ever seen a "10 Brits killed in Ibiza" style headline. Or reporting on British troops overseas....

Agree that nowadays most people point their browser at a variety of feeds and that's the way to go in this day and age.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
No equivalent of the Sun.....im still gutted after 4 years! will somebody please put some tits on page 3 (and I dont mean any politicians)!
There used to be a couple of papers years ago called "The Truth" and "The Sunday Truth", which had a page 3 topless bird. unfortunately it demised about 20 years ago.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:45 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The Brisbane Times is an online only 'newspaper'. The only print paper is the Courier Mail.....a right pile of old tosh it is too!
There are other print papers in the News Ltd family and other publishers in Brisbane. I should know as I worked for the Quest Newspaper Group, although they tend to be more community based, dealing with local issues.
Here are some of them:

B
* Bayside Bulletin (Cleveland, Capalaba, Redland Bay, Victoria Point, (Brisbane))
* Brisbane Courier-Mail (Brisbane)
* Brisbane Times (Brisbane)

C

* Catholic Leader
* City News (Red Hill, Bulimba, West End (Brisbane))

I

* Ipswich Satellite (Ipswich, (Brisbane), 17 Mile Rocks, Bellbird Park, Camira, Carole Park, Chelmer, Collingwood Park, Corinda, Darra, Doolandella, Durack, Forest Lake, Gailes, Goodna, Graceville, Inala, Jamboree Heights, Jindalee, Middle Park, Mt Ommaney, Oxley, Redbank, Redbank Plains, Riverhills, Sherwood, Sinnamon Park, Springfield, Sumner Park, Wacol, Westlake)

N

* North West News (Bunya, Ferry Grove, Mitchelton, Newmarket (Brisbane))
* Northern News (Banyo, Northgate, Nundah, Fortitude Valley, New Farm (Brisbane))
* Northside Chronicle (Sandgate, Bracken Ridge, Aspley, Chermside (Brisbane))

S

* South-East Advertiser (Canon Hill, East Brisbane, Carindale, Holland Park (Brisbane))
* South-West News (Indooroopilly, Kenmore, Inala, Bellbowrie, Brookfield, Fig Tree Pocket, Kenmore Hills, Pullenvale (Brisbane))
* Southern Bay News Monthly (Southern Bay (Brisbane))
* Sunday Mail, The (Brisbane)
* Sunshine Coast Daily (Maroochydore, Caboolture, Caloundra, Nambour, Noosa, Bribie, Beerwah, Bli Bli, Brisbane, Buderim, Conondale, Coolum, Cooran, Cooroy, Currimundi, Eudlo, Eumundi, Forest Glen, Glasshouse, Kawana, Kenilworth, Kin Kin, Landsborough, Maleny, Mapleton, Marcoola, Montville, Mooloolaba, Mooloolah, Mudjimba, Noosa Heads, Noosaville, Palmwoods, Peachester, Peregian, Pomona, Tewantin, Woombye, Wurtulla, Yandina)

W

* Westender (West End, Highgate Hill, South Brisbane, South Bank, Dutton Park, Annerley, Woolloongabba, Brisbane CBD, Fortitude Valley, New Farm.)
* Westside News (Ashgrove, The Gap, Paddington, Auchenflower, Red Hill, Milton, Toowong (Brisbane))
* Wynnum Herald (Wynnum, Manly, Tingalpa, Capalaba (Brisbane))

from www.newspapers.com.au

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 28th 2008 at 12:52 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:06 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

One man campaign to bring back 'the Truth'!

Great name for a paper as well!

Originally Posted by The Bloke
There used to be a couple of papers years ago called "The Truth" and "The Sunday Truth", which had a page 3 topless bird. unfortunately it demised about 20 years ago.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:18 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Talking Re: Aussie Newspapers

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
No equivalent of the Sun.....im still gutted after 4 years! will somebody please put some tits on page 3 (and I dont mean any politicians)!
You guys have hogged the papers long enough, page 3 puts me right off my breakfast.

It's time for the girls. Some nice guys in thongs/stings, not pretty boys but hunky examples of the male species.

What do you think girls, who would you like to see on page 3?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
You guys have hogged the papers long enough, page 3 puts me right off my breakfast.

It's time for the girls. Some nice guys in thongs/stings, not pretty boys but hunky examples of the male species.

What do you think girls, who would you like to see on page 3?
God I must be getting old, I'd rather settle for some decent journalism ...

If you forced me I'd have to say Robert Downey Jr or Ryan Reynolds
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

steve_and_gill will become famous soon enoughsteve_and_gill will become famous soon enough

You may be interested in this link Oz newspapers online

I like to look at the coober pedy newspaper