Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Why do aussie mobile phone plans have $ caps. When will they introduce plans on minutes per month and txts per month? The $ caps would be great if the cost per call was the same to any mobile network and about 2c a minute.

For some reason they are still operating on the now ancient standard of charging more to call a mobile network different to your own!! Wouldn't surprise me if they still had peak and off peak call charges.

I want $50 a month. 600 minutes per month to any network and 100 txts a month will do fine. Maybe in 10 years they will do it.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Um, this is Australia, and this is the way it is done in Australia. Cant think that it is likely to change any time soon.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by quoll
Um, this is Australia, and this is the way it is done in Australia. Cant think that it is likely to change any time soon.
I did hear that once the population goes over 50million, they will probably do it

Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Many aspects of Oz or 20 years or so behind the UK. You just have to except it.

Out of interest, I will be requiring a pre-pay sim when I arrive shortly, to be used with my iPhone.

At the moment, for £20 ($50?) I get unlimited texts, 200 minutes, and 500mb data.

Do they do similar deals over there? I've been looking on the service providers websites, but I really don't understand, as they all talk about caps, and I don't get it.

I want to know what I need to ask for when I get there.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by xzibit

Out of interest, I will be requiring a pre-pay sim when I arrive shortly, to be used with my iPhone.

At the moment, for £20 ($50?) I get unlimited texts, 200 minutes, and 500mb data.

Do they do similar deals over there? I've been looking on the service providers websites, but I really don't understand, as they all talk about caps, and I don't get it.

I get 130 mins + 100 txt for $10 per month, or a combination of the two.

Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I get 130 mins + 100 txt for $10 per month, or a combination of the two.
Which mobile service do you use?
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:12 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Actually the Australian way of doing things is not that different to the UK. Both give you a bonus on your monthly payment in the uk its stated text's and minutes in Australia its $'s to spend on services.

The UK systems is easier to understand what you get in terms of usage the Australian systems is more flexible as you can use your $'s on whatever split of text,voice and data is best for you.

The aarkets have just developed differently. The US market is different again.

The mobile termination rates in the UK are still different between the networks all the included minutes etc. do is hide it until you run out of included minutes...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:20 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

I would suggest checking out Whirlpool.net.au.

If coverage is important go telstra prepaid there are variety of different options. www.telstra.com.au

If data is important look at Three and then Optus. Three is going to better for coverage on the iphone but will have a risk of extra data charges in the countryside areas.

I would also suggest looking at Pennysim from Pennytel as it has cheap international calling and calling to regular Australian numbers..
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:58 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Telecoms is not one of them though. Our technology infrastructure is actually better which is amazing when you consider population comparison and area coverage.

The cap plans offer a simple $ amount of credit that means you have the flexibility to spend it on what you want. I really dont see that as being backward.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

In the UK if I paid £10 on prepaid, I'd get £10 credit. Here I pay $29 and get $300 credit. I like the way they do it here!

Plus my internet connection speed here is about 17mb. That's the actual tested speed as well, not the advertised one. I think I got about 1mb in the UK when they claimed I could get 8mb.

Plus here I like the way you actually have a GB figure. In the UK O2 Broadband advertised an "Unlimited" download service but after 100GB I got a whiney email about how I'm using it too much and may get my speed restricted. At least here I get great speeds and when I pay for 180GB, I actually get 180GB.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yehp 300 minutes free to three, Unlimited texts, 750mb data and 350 dollars worth of calls is the closest I've got, for my Daughter on her 16 gig Iphone for 64 dollars per month. Thats with the 3 network
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
In the UK if I paid £10 on prepaid, I'd get £10 credit. Here I pay $29 and get $300 credit. I like the way they do it here!

Plus my internet connection speed here is about 17mb. That's the actual tested speed as well, not the advertised one. I think I got about 1mb in the UK when they claimed I could get 8mb.

Plus here I like the way you actually have a GB figure. In the UK O2 Broadband advertised an "Unlimited" download service but after 100GB I got a whiney email about how I'm using it too much and may get my speed restricted. At least here I get great speeds and when I pay for 180GB, I actually get 180GB.

Blasphemy !!! LOL, the UK Boards that talk about Broadband are full of people complaining about hidden shaping (Speed restrictions) at around 120 Gigs.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Blasphemy !!! LOL, the UK Boards that talk about Broadband are full of people complaining about hidden shaping (Speed restrictions) at around 120 Gigs.
In the UK basic lying seems to be allowed. I know of one plan that professes to be "Unlimited" but has a monthly "fair usage" cap of 2GB. How crap is that! I'll never know how they get away with it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:24 am
In melbourne

And you get similar additional minutes perks in the UK if you choose prepaid credit to expire in the month. Just one example look here http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/hub/vodafone/ and click freedom packs

Thats because you now live closer to the exchange in Australia. There is no difference in this between Oz and the UK.

And you can get the same in the UK, including some ISP's who charge if you go over quota and unlimited plans (if you look for them). I think the plans that state unlimited and aren't really is the only thing doesn't really exist, but its all it the T&C's if you care to read them and I reckon ASA should clamp down on this practise of advertising unlimited
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silver
Actually the Australian way of doing things is not that different to the UK. Both give you a bonus on your monthly payment in the uk its stated text's and minutes in Australia its $'s to spend on services.

The UK systems is easier to understand what you get in terms of usage the Australian systems is more flexible as you can use your $'s on whatever split of text,voice and data is best for you.

The aarkets have just developed differently. The US market is different again.

The mobile termination rates in the UK are still different between the networks all the included minutes etc. do is hide it until you run out of included minutes...
I think it is different in one crucial way and I've written to the ACCC about it.
Although moible phone companies tell you how much 'value' you get, in actual fact the advertisements tell you nothing about real value because very often the companies do not tell you the call-cost per dollar on the same ad.
The ads are meaningless and do not allow custmers to make meaningful comparisons between companies - the basis of a successful capitalist society.

In reailty what does $350 worth of calls mean? And how do I readily compare that with another company's $350 worth of calls? Companies will argue that it is possible to make comparisons - and it is but the method is tricky and involves sifting between fine print - difficult for most of us - certainly compared with comparing costs of other goods such as new cars.

When I first spoke to the ACCC they refused to accept that ads do not always include call costs - until I faxed a copy of an ad in the West Australian.
Their last comment to me was that the situation w as 'unde-review' this was 18 months ago and so I'd urge all of you to write to them and complain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.