Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Mobile Phone Plans

Originally Posted by Centurion
Our technology infrastructure is actually better .
What does this actually mean?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Why do aussie mobile phone plans have $ caps. When will they introduce plans on minutes per month and txts per month? The $ caps would be great if the cost per call was the same to any mobile network and about 2c a minute.

For some reason they are still operating on the now ancient standard of charging more to call a mobile network different to your own!! Wouldn't surprise me if they still had peak and off peak call charges.

I want $50 a month. 600 minutes per month to any network and 100 txts a month will do fine. Maybe in 10 years they will do it.

If you want something simple, then have a look at Planet Mobile:

Planet Mobile

* Flat call rate = 33c per minute, to landline or mobile on any network, billed per second

* SMS = 16.5c per message to any destination

* MMS = 55c per message to any destination

* Data = 33c per MB, charged by the KB

Perhaps not the cheapest, but no flag fall, no connection charges, no excessive usage charges, no cap nonsense and no per 30 second billing. all billed post use, at the end of the month.

I tried them out as an experiment, and have been extremely happy with them. I use my phone a lot, and have never exceeded $50 per month usage.

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Jul 16th 2010 at 7:01 am.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I get 130 mins + 100 txt for $10 per month, or a combination of the two.
Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you want something simple, then have a look at Planet Mobile:

Planet Mobile

* Flat call rate = 33c per minute, to landline or mobile on any network, billed per second

* SMS = 16.5c per message to any destination

* MMS = 55c per message to any destination

* Data = 33c per MB, charged by the KB

Perhaps not the cheapest, but no flag fall, no connection charges, no excessive usage charges, no cap nonsense and no per 30 second billing. all billed post use, at the end of the month.

I tried them out as an experiment, and have been extremely happy with them. I use my phone a lot, and have never exceeded $50 per month usage.

S
Would this be right:
130 minutes at $0.33 = $42.90
100 text at $0.165 = $16.50
Total $59.40

Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:24 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think it is different in one crucial way and I've written to the ACCC about it.
Although moible phone companies tell you how much 'value' you get, in actual fact the advertisements tell you nothing about real value because very often the companies do not tell you the call-cost per dollar on the same ad.
The ads are meaningless and do not allow custmers to make meaningful comparisons between companies - the basis of a successful capitalist society.

In reailty what does $350 worth of calls mean? And how do I readily compare that with another company's $350 worth of calls? Companies will argue that it is possible to make comparisons - and it is but the method is tricky and involves sifting between fine print - difficult for most of us - certainly compared with comparing costs of other goods such as new cars.

When I first spoke to the ACCC they refused to accept that ads do not always include call costs - until I faxed a copy of an ad in the West Australian.
Their last comment to me was that the situation w as 'unde-review' this was 18 months ago and so I'd urge all of you to write to them and complain.
Interesting and a very good point... I would have thought that in defense of the companies that calls to different destination and providers will cost differing amounts and you end up with a huge table. But as long as they put a reference for the costs of calls (in network, landline etc.) and you know who you call most often you can do a comparison. Its does become more muddied when they charge different rates for different plans, but higher subscriptions lowering costs is something that has existed in many industries for a long while.

Personally it would be nice if companies followed the strategy of simple call costs just being priced per the minute and thats it. However competition, end market segmentation and cross carrier settlements have put us in a very complex situation (let alone considering roaming)
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silver
And you get similar additional minutes perks in the UK if you choose prepaid credit to expire in the month. Just one example look here http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/pay-as-you-go/hub/vodafone/ and click freedom packs

Thats because you now live closer to the exchange in Australia. There is no difference in this between Oz and the UK.

And you can get the same in the UK, including some ISP's who charge if you go over quota and unlimited plans (if you look for them). I think the plans that state unlimited and aren't really is the only thing doesn't really exist, but its all it the T&C's if you care to read them and I reckon ASA should clamp down othis practise of advertising unlimited
I realize that I am closer to the exchange here and my previous exchange was not upgraded. The fundamental point though was that in the uk speeds and download allowances that are advertised are rarely what you actually get. At least here in oz things are clear and you actually get what you pay for.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:54 am
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 77hil
I realize that I am closer to the exchange here and my previous exchange was not upgraded. The fundamental point though was that in the uk speeds and download allowances that are advertised are rarely what you actually get. At least here in oz things are clear and you actually get what you pay for.
The technology is still the same this is technology problem and the point isn't as such valid in Oz vs. the UK way. If you live a long way from an exchange in Australia they may advertise 24mb but you only get 1. In fact most ISP's in both locations will give you a speed estimate based on line length data from the Teleco. This not an exchange upgrade issue either, if you have 1mb you have a long line length, ADSL2+ only sees benefits on shorter line lengths.

And most ISPs in the UK now will tell you or advertise what download allowance you get, historically in Australia we had this for a long period of time. The recent advertising of unlimited in the UK has for some ISP's been not the full picture as some throttle at very high usages but Australia didn't tend to traditionally have unlimited plans and charged for excess usage which wasn't clearly apparent (as a large number of older theads on whirlpool will show with huge excess bills).
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by xzibit
Many aspects of Oz or 20 years or so behind the UK. You just have to except it.

Out of interest, I will be requiring a pre-pay sim when I arrive shortly, to be used with my iPhone.

At the moment, for £20 ($50?) I get unlimited texts, 200 minutes, and 500mb data.

Do they do similar deals over there? I've been looking on the service providers websites, but I really don't understand, as they all talk about caps, and I don't get it.

I want to know what I need to ask for when I get there.
Can you please let me know where you can get the exchange rate you quote $50 for every 20 pounds?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silver
The technology is still the same this is technology problem and the point isn't as such valid in Oz vs. the UK way. If you live a long way from an exchange in Australia they may advertise 24mb but you only get 1. In fact most ISP's in both locations will give you a speed estimate based on line length data from the Teleco. This not an exchange upgrade issue either, if you have 1mb you have a long line length, ADSL2+ only sees benefits on shorter line lengths.
It is an exchange issue in the UK as various super fast services with higher download quotas are advertised but often these are unavailable precisely because the local exchange has not been upgraded. A local exchange of my in-laws was such a case. As a result they are restricted to ADSL rather than ADSL2+ which they have been told is coming soon.

Anyway we are way off topic.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billymacker
Can you please let me know where you can get the exchange rate you quote $50 for every 20 pounds?
I was typing quick at work. Don't cry about it.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:21 pm
In melbourne

It is an exchange issue in the UK as various super fast services with higher download quotas are advertised but often these are unavailable precisely because the local exchange has not been upgraded. A local exchange of my in-laws was such a case. As a result they are restricted to ADSL rather than ADSL2+ which they have been told is coming soon.

Anyway we are way off topic.
Ignoring cable

Superfast services in the
UK = VDSL deployments with cards in cabinets on the street side (aka BT Infinity)
Australia = Fibre (GPON) services (big difference) (aka Telstra Velocity and v.limited NBN)

Teleco Exchange upgrades in the
UK usually = 21CN which is changing to MSAN that support ADSL2+ and IP/GE backhaul
Australia usually = IP/GE backhaul upgrade and introduction of ISAMS

Higher Quota services in the
UK usually = Local Loop Unbundled Services where the ISP install its own DSLAM in the exchange (not all exchanges).
Australia usually = Local Loop Unbundled/shared spectrum services own the ISP's own DSLAMs (not all exchanges).

But ADSL vs. ADSL2+ on long line lengths makes very little difference you still have slower than headline speeds. Live close to an exchange in the UK in the major population centres you will get 24mbit or in rural areas 8mbit. Live a long distance from the exchange in either you will get 1 mbit ADSL or ADSL2+. Exhange upgrades will

If you are on a Rim in Australia you may not even get broadband at all (very limited DSL ports) and the deployed CMUX's in new estates will only provide ADSL1 services.

So it still makes very little difference in Australia vs. the UK, it just depends where you live and how far that is from the exchange. All down to the technology unless you know of other upgrades?

Agreed way off topic...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:45 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Would this be right:
130 minutes at $0.33 = $42.90
100 text at $0.165 = $16.50
Total $59.40

Yes, that's right - but you are on a legacy tariff which is unavailable now, and probably doesn't include any data allocation. I have a Vodafone legacy tarrif SIM card hanging around - it was great value, and easy to understand, however the lack of data capability on it makes it next to useless now. Personally, I rarely make calls, so 130 minutes of included calls is just a waste. I generally text, Email or use IM chat. Looking at my last bill, it looks like I made only 2:37 worth of calls, compared to 137 MB of data and 16 text messages.

Trying to compare the currently available plans and charges is much more difficult, as they are all priced in such a way that make it difficult to make a direct comparison. I think that most newcomers here want something easy to understand so that they can get up and running while having a reasonable expectation of the costs involved. Plus it also depends on how you use your allocation - If you just text, then a specified limit of voice calls is probably a waste, and vice versa.

S
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you just text, then a specified limit of voice calls is probably a waste, and vice versa.
S
That's what I like about the plan that we have where $10 gives us options, which includes 787 texts, without any calls, per month.

However, I don't get how my teenage daughter exceeds that limit some months

That reminded me, her month just ended, so I just checked her bill. Not bad, only over by 8 cents this month She will be pleased, I might just let her of paying the extra this month

258 Texts
2 Standard Call to a Fixed Line
40 Calls to a mobile (total 59m 16 secs)

Months Bill: $10.08

Old Jul 28th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

In the UK if I paid £10 on prepaid, I'd get £10 credit. Here I pay $29 and get $300 credit. I like the way they do it here!

Plus my internet connection speed here is about 17mb. That's the actual tested speed as well, not the advertised one. I think I got about 1mb in the UK when they claimed I could get 8mb.

Plus here I like the way you actually have a GB figure. In the UK O2 Broadband advertised an "Unlimited" download service but after 100GB I got a whiney email about how I'm using it too much and may get my speed restricted. At least here I get great speeds and when I pay for 180GB, I actually get 180GB.
Agree spending $29 and getting $300 credit is great, apart from you don't know how much the call is costing. For some reason calling each network has a different per min cost. Some being 70c a minute so that $300 doesnt actually go that far. How about $29 you get 300 minutes to any phone, much easier :-)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

I got a plan with vodafone nearly two years ago, gives me 360 minutes, 50 texts and 250 mb of data = $69/month. I dont think they do it any more though.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pogsy
I got a plan with vodafone nearly two years ago, gives me 360 minutes, 50 texts and 250 mb of data = $69/month. I dont think they do it any more though.
Is that Voda to Voda minutes? or Voda to any landline or mobile network minutes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.