Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Interest Rates

Aussie Interest Rates

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:49 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie Interest Rates

Hi guys,

Can I assume the Aussie interest rates have not gone up? Halewood told me yesterday they would probably go up overnight and then the rate against the $ would probably drop (ie we should have bought $ yesterday). Anyway we didn't - we didn't have the right gut feeling about it!

We are not being greedy - just don't want to be stupid either!

Max
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie Interest Rates

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hi guys,

Can I assume the Aussie interest rates have not gone up? Halewood told me yesterday they would probably go up overnight and then the rate against the $ would probably drop (ie we should have bought $ yesterday). Anyway we didn't - we didn't have the right gut feeling about it!

Max
We will find out tomorrow (9:30 AEST) although I fear the worst (being in the same situation as you).

The Reserve Bank met today and although the talk this morning was that most economists expected no rate rise, there seems to have been a change of opinion after some retail sales data was released confirming robust consumer demand and the dollar has been rising against the pound all afternoon
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:21 am

Originally posted by Thomaz
We will find out tomorrow (9:30 AEST) although I fear the worst (being in the same situation as you).

The Reserve Bank met today and although the talk this morning was that most economists expected no rate rise, there seems to have been a change of opinion after some retail sales data was released confirming robust consumer demand and the dollar has been rising against the pound all afternoon

What are you going to do yourself?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:23 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at the ozzie papers .......if it doesn't rise this week , will next month.

I got 2.4 a couple a weeks a go ! With HIFX , following rates last six month's felt could live with that !

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rate Decision Tomorrow
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you going to do yourself?

I'm waiting for $2.50.

But I've been doing that for six months now so I'm probably not the best person to ask
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:29 am

I'm waiting for $2.50.

But I've been doing that for six months now so I'm probably not the best person to ask
yes thats what I want to do really - now starting to think we might take 2.42 or something like that..who knows it's all a gamble!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:34 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

sure is!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

09:51 AEST: Interest rates remained unchanged.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Max
Max,
Do you really need to exchange all your dosh at once ?
If not perhaps you could leave half in UK account and transfer when rate is better ?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

i remember when we first looked at migrating about 16 months ago it was about 2.80.

That seems totally unachievable now or in the near future....bugger.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:05 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karen and andy
i remember when we first looked at migrating about 16 months ago it was about 2.80.

Yeah but no one was expecting the USD to weaken to 1.91 but it did last week so you never know
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by karen and andy

Yes but look on the bright side your house in the UK has gone up by X%

Swings and roundabouts my friend. Do you jump off the roundabout when it is going too fast? Or do you stay on and throw up over your shoes????
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

dollar has been rising against the pound all afternoon
It's back to 2.42 again.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 10:22 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone got any tips at the bookies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.