Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie house prices...a poll

View Poll Results: Aussie Property prices over the next 6-12 months ?
fall 20% +
22.01%
fall 10-20%
21.04%
fall 0-10%
23.30%
same the same
17.80%
rise 0-10%
11.65%
rise 10-20%
1.94%
rise 20% +
2.27%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Aussie house prices...a poll

Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie house prices...a poll

2007 384000 45,000 9
2042 12288000 248,221 50

Properties increase in value on average every 7 years

So on that basis taking a base of 2007

Property = $384k with a average income of $45k meaning its only 9 times income to price ratio

Property in 2042 would then having doubled 5 times would be worth $12.3 million with your income increasing 5% per year ie $248k, 50 times income to price ratio

Do people feel a better than 5% average increase rate in their pay packet
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
Do people regard rising house prices as good or bad?
It depends if you are buying or selling.

I'd personally like to see the prices go back to 2003 levels, but we don't always get what we want.

Old Nov 20th 2009, 9:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mipik
Everytime council raise the valuations (2 years ago I got slammed an 18% rise) you end up paying more in council rater, water rates etc.
The council rates etc do not rise at the same rate as valuations.

eg: My valuation in 2003 was $82,000 with quarterly general rates of $173

In 2009 the valuation is now $180,000, an increase of 120%.

The general rates are now $229 per quarter, a rise of 32%, or 4.8% per year over the last 6 years.

The valuations are only used to 'apportion' the total rates required for the year, not to calculate the total rates required.

Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
Where do you get those figures from? Certainly nothing like I've seen.

I accept that house prices rose after March 2009. The blog predicted that these falls would continue when the grant ended when it was originally supposed to. From March 2008, when interest rates were 7.25, we then saw a fall to 7% in Sept 2008. From this point they fell to 3% by Apr 2009.

If you compare these interest rates with average house prices you can see a pattern

Using figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics. From Mar 08 to Mar 09 house prices in the 8 capital cities had fallen an average of 6.7%.

I believe the combined effect of the stimulus and it's extension and interest rates at 3% from this time were what caused the increase in demand and subsequent price rises to near previous levels
Go to each quarter on the ABS site (you can look at historical figures) and it will tell you the final adjusted percentage for the "previous" quarter in the text at the bottom. You'll also notice they match the graph on the current figures page.

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 21st 2009 at 1:32 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm confused.

(Nothing new there, then)

Do people regard rising house prices as good or bad?

The same confusion arises with governments: they will trumpet an increase in prices as good news (makes owners feel they are richer, therefore vote their way) and in the next breath bemoan the unaffordability of homes!

Substitute the word "food" for "houses" and see how facile most pronouncements are.
I don't think many home owners feel fast rises house prices are good as they know they just have to buy into the same market and have larger mortgages. I suspect home investors would be a lot happier though.

If house prices are rising though most home owners would like their suburb to rise faster than others
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieG
And another thing I can't understand is how can living in an expensive house whose value has increased exponentially make anyone feel richer when most appear to hardly have any disposable income left at the end of the month - what with taxes, mortgage, food etc etc eating a good chunk of your income. Unless of course owners cash in, downsize and live off the "profit"? I still don't get it.
A lot of people's wealth comes through the passage of time. Inflation increases income while mortgage drops. One day they wake up to find they have a very small mortgage in todays terms on a valuable property. The small mortgage in comparison to income eases the month end disposable income issue.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:53 am
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Interesting, real estate industry in the media have been basing a lot of mooted house price increase on huge population growth and migration. Think most here are aware that they included temporaries i.e. stay minimum 12/16 months, e.g. WHV backpackers, international students, and temporary 457s, plus there has been suspension of skilled independent migration processing as announced in September (which was missed by the media while focussed upon boat people).

Melbourne (where over 50% of Indian students study), and think lesser extent Sydney, are going to have significant issues in medium term as there has been a huge drop off in student enquiries and enrolments from India (over 50%), plus more difficult visa requirements affecting China also (and related AL3/4 high risk student markets). And more restrictive study to PR conditions in 2010, if allowed at all....

The population growth figures included a massive spike in international students amongst whom word of mouth offshore in 2008, told them that visa changes were anticipated. This translated into many getting into Oz asap with understanding that better chance of outcomes, or at least bridging visas, if already onshore start of 2009...

IN 2009 fees have increased a lot due to increased AUD..... plus negative publicity re. student bashings etc.

Accordingly, should be less demand for rental, and purchase of properties for investment to rent to students etc.., and I imagine more properties coming onto the market....

Also, I would not be surprised in medium term, detached housing will be more expensive due to environmental taxes per sqm, charges to pay for new suburban infrastructure etc., not to mention apartment developers playing funny buggers with their figures..... e.g. claiming complex all sold when half empty.... no independent sales allowed etc.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I voted rise by 0-10% although I hope they drop by 50% by this time next year as that's when we're coming over there.

But that ain't gonna happen.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:48 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aussie house prices...a poll

I know nothing about the market, so I won't be making any predictions.

All I know is that I received a professional valuation of my house this month and learned that its value has increased by $35,000 in the past 3 years.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:15 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I know nothing about the market, so I won't be making any predictions.

All I know is that I received a professional valuation of my house this month and learned that its value has increased by $35,000 in the past 3 years.
Mine went up $120k in the last 4 years
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
At the peak of the UK housing boom mine was going up a thousand pounds a week !!!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

But is that $120k of a starting price of $120k or is on a $2m house as the starting price can reflect a significant difference. What area are you living in and did it come from a low starting point 4 years ago?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aussie house prices...a poll

So, can we conclude that Australian house prices are rising?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
So, can we conclude that Australian house prices are rising?

I thought I heard someone say they had dropped.....

Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Aussie house prices...a poll

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I thought I heard someone say they had dropped.....
The direction of Australian house prices is always determined by the answer you received from the last person you asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.