Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie friendliness at it's best

Aussie friendliness at it's best

Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:29 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of
Default Aussie friendliness at it's best

Having been in Oz 18 months, I still never take the Aussie friendliness for granted.

Recently on my way to the airport in my friend's 4 wheel drive, we had a bad/dangerous puncture and ended up in centre section of the Bruce highway. Having recently bought the car, my friend discovered there was no jack in the boot.

Knowing we could not use any old jack, my friend and I stood on the side of the Bruce Highway trying to flag down other Cherokee drivers for help. Someone pulled over in all of 4 minutes! We got to the airport with time to spare. I stood there wondering how long in Britain it would have taken someone to pull over??

Coming through immigration at Brissy airport, the man at customs must have mentally noted my date of birth from my passport and asked "so did you have a nice birthday in Bangkok?". Now a customs is the last person who has to make polite conversation for the sake of it.

Sunshine Sarah
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:56 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aussie friendliness at it's best

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Coming through immigration at Brissy airport, the man at customs must have mentally noted my date of birth from my passport and asked "so did you have a nice birthday in Bangkok?". Now a customs is the last person who has to make polite conversation for the sake of it.
Sunshine Sarah
How do you know the officer was interested about you or about Bangkok?
Old Mar 18th 2006, 5:59 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Having been in Oz 18 months, I still never take the Aussie friendliness for granted.

Recently on my way to the airport in my friend's 4 wheel drive, we had a bad/dangerous puncture and ended up in centre section of the Bruce highway. Having recently bought the car, my friend discovered there was no jack in the boot.

Knowing we could not use any old jack, my friend and I stood on the side of the Bruce Highway trying to flag down other Cherokee drivers for help. Someone pulled over in all of 4 minutes! We got to the airport with time to spare. I stood there wondering how long in Britain it would have taken someone to pull over??

Sunshine Sarah
hi sarah
its good to see some one whos so positive about their move

we are looking at sippy downs as we want to get our daughter in chancellor state school thats up your way isnt it?
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:13 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I always love that whenever I go through Customs in Perth, they welcome me home!! I mean, I have both Aussie and English passport but because I am a citizen, they always say 'Welcome home'

*sniff* brings a tear to my eye!!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:17 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When I landed at Brisbane airport, the immigration guy studied my passport for a few minutes, made a big thing about staring at my picture and then my face.

'Look, if you're going to laugh at my picture then laugh' I told the guy as he kept staring.

Grinning at me he said 'Christ mate I wouldnt have put ya at 35!'

I cannot imagine British immigration doing that let alone having a sense of humour.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:33 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
When I landed at Brisbane airport, the immigration guy studied my passport for a few minutes, made a big thing about staring at my picture and then my face.

'Look, if you're going to laugh at my picture then laugh' I told the guy as he kept staring.

I cannot imagine British immigration doing that let alone having a sense of humour.

did he think you we older

or younger
Old Mar 19th 2006, 11:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
did he think you we older

or younger

He said he thought I was 28, I would have snogged him had it been possible!
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Aussie friendliness at it's best

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

You're not wrong; all I received at Heathrow was an arched eyebrow, a handful of impersonal questions barked out in rapid succession, and a rubber stamp.

Warmth, courtesy and friendliness were all notable by absence.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 12:54 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You're not wrong; all I received at Heathrow was an arched eyebrow, a handful of impersonal questions barked out in rapid succession, and a rubber stamp.

Warmth, courtesy and friendliness were all notable by absence.
whenever i go through brisbane airport they're usually donning the rubber glove as I exit the plane door. I swear the buggers have got me marked down on some list. I only went out with that Corby bint the once, and she didnt offer to split the tab. tight cow.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:03 am
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Sunshine Sarah
I remember the time i was stuck at bangkok airport without the money to pay departure tax(dont ask me how it happened-but if you dont pay departure tax they dont let you leave, no exceptions)
My immediate thought-"must find Aussie"-ask three people who turned out to be Brits and told me to sod off(not that I blame them)-then find an Aussie, before I finish my sob story he whips out $200-says here money for the tax and extra for a taxi in oz and a meal at the airport (or the equivelent in baht)
I tell him to give me his bank account or address to pay him back-he says don't worry its a gift ( pay him back at anyrate in Sydney).
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:42 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Bump - 'cos I think that Bangkok story is great.

Two more stories to had to my original post. Had bad car accident last night (love the country but they can't drive) - so carless at the momehnt. Have had several offers of lifts etc, even from people I hardly know. Not only have I had offers to take me to the supermarket, I have someone tell me to give them a list and they'll get my groceries FOR me!!!

Other tale. My other half works at Wow Sight and Sound - big electrical store. Before we went on holiday for 4 weeks recently he served a lady looking at buying a plasma. Whilst away she called the store twice to find out when he would be back and waited FOUR WEEKS before coming to purchase it - to ensure he got the commission. Unbelievable.

Sarah