cigarettes

Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:00 am
Just Joined

wayne01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cigarettes

I know there not good for you and all that.But are they much cheaper in oz than the u.k and is smoking really frowned upon
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: cigarettes

Originally Posted by wayne01
I know there not good for you and all that.But are they much cheaper in oz than the u.k and is smoking really frowned upon
Hi Wayne,

I think compared to an Australian salary cigarettes are more expensive over here. Plenty of people smoke but you are not allowed; to smoke in any place that serves food; at tram shelters, bus stops and train stations (well in Victoria anyway); and is treated in the same way as the UK in the workplace (ie you have to go out and smoke).

smoking is treated as bad news here.

Regards

Nige
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:20 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I gave up smoking about 8 weeks ago but i have to say you do feel like a complete leper if you smoke in australia. Which in some ways is good because when you give up it's easier because there's so few places you can smoke when you go out.

Not that it's really acceptable anywhere it just seems more the norm in the UK.

and cigarettes are just as expensive here.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:41 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi Wayne,

I think compared to an Australian salary cigarettes are more expensive over here. Plenty of people smoke but you are not allowed; to smoke in any place that serves food; at tram shelters, bus stops and train stations (well in Victoria anyway); and is treated in the same way as the UK in the workplace (ie you have to go out and smoke).

smoking is treated as bad news here.

Regards

Nige
Best news yet,
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:42 am
Just Joined

wayne01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BKate
I gave up smoking about 8 weeks ago but i have to say you do feel like a complete leper if you smoke in australia. Which in some ways is good because when you give up it's easier because there's so few places you can smoke when you go out.

and cigarettes are just as expensive here.
looks like its nearly time to give up then :scared:
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:45 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if it's a matter of perception, but I get the impression that more people smoke in Oz than the UK: anyone know the figures? (Like ABCD<g>)
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:49 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Prices vary according to which state you live in and where you go to buy them. In WA a pack of 25's around $10 or 4 pounds.

Anti-smoking lobby has been quite active here but about 25% of adults still puff away
Old Mar 18th 2006, 8:59 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

According to ASH

About 12 million adults in the UK smoke cigarettes - 28% of men and 24% of women.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/basic01.html
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Not for long !
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: cigarettes

According to ASH

About 12 million adults in the UK smoke cigarettes - 28% of men and 24% of women.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/basic01.html
Compared to the Australian statistics:
  • 21.1% of Australian adults are regular smokers (within the past week), including 23.1% of males & 19.3% of females.

26.2% of Australians are ex-smokers.

Source.

These figures define a "smoker" as anyone who's had a cigarette within the last week - which is pretty strict, but probably a more accurate method than the government uses.

I must say that when I first came to the UK just over 2 years ago, I was astonished to find that there was no prohibition against smoking in cafes and restaurants. Some places don't even have a designated "non-smoking" area.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 18th 2006 at 10:15 am.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: cigarettes

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Anti-smoking lobby has been quite active here but about 25% of adults still puff away
Is that 25% figure for Western Australia only? It still seems a bit high, considering that the national average of 21% (see my previous post.) I'd be interested to know where you're getting it from.

Current trends in Australia indicate that smoking could potentially be eradicated within the next few decades, according to a study by Curtin University - as reported in The Guardian last year:

The study coincides with figures that show Australia has the lowest smoking rate of any industrialised country, and possibly the lowest in the world.

Smoking rates in Australia for those aged 15 and over have fallen from more than 70% some 60 years ago to 17.4% last year, according to the Australian Institute of Health. Graphic anti-smoking ads and tough bans on tobacco advertising and smoking in public places have helped drive down Australia's smoking rate.

[...]

Professor Mike Daube of the health policy division at Curtin University believes the smoking epidemic will end in Australia by 2030, based on the latest figures, and trends for the past 22 years.

"We're reaching the end of the epidemic and can now predict with some certainty that smoking in Australia will be virtually extinct within the next 25 years," Prof Daube said.

"What we can safely say on the basis of trends since 1983, is if those trends continue then smoking in Australia will be down to zero in 25 years - 2030.
Source.

Looks like the figures from my previous post are a trifle out of date. Still, I'm not complaining.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Mar 18th 2006 at 10:16 am.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:21 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Melbourne last year and felt very excluded as smokers. We stood outside in the rain and in small plastic *booths* in restraunts like naughty kids!
I think this was a good thing as I returned and have been a non smoker for 6 months!
We smoked B&H 25's at $10 a packet. When there is 2 of you it does add up :scared:
J
Old Mar 18th 2006, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

X smoker myself, but the people at work seem to smoke more than the people in the UK I put this down to the fact that they have packs of 50's here
Old Mar 18th 2006, 11:05 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede]Is that 25% figure for Western Australia only? It still seems a bit high, considering that the national average of 21% (see my previous post.) I'd be interested to know where you're getting it from.

It was in the media recently. It seems more young women and teens (18 is classified as an adult) are taking the habit up. Appears to be a nationwide trend not limited to WA.

Due to this there has been a push by ASH to get the fed govt to introduce graphic pics on packets of diseased organs in an attempt to bring it down again. In WA pubs will soon be smokefree (2007 I think)
Old Mar 18th 2006, 1:01 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwichild
It was in the media recently. It seems more young women and teens (18 is classified as an adult) are taking the habit up. Appears to be a nationwide trend not limited to WA.

Due to this there has been a push by ASH to get the fed govt to introduce graphic pics on packets of diseased organs in an attempt to bring it down again. In WA pubs will soon be smokefree (2007 I think)
I saw a pretty graphic poster in Fremantle recently on a billboard up by the station. Can't remember exactly what it depicted, but I remember thinking that they were packing a good punch with it. It was a diseased organ of some sort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.