Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

jeffcaz02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

Hi we have been trying to emigrate to Australia for a number of years. Why is it so expensive it is so difficult to get the money to pay for everything. We barely get through each month wages low. Anyone with tips to cut some of the costs down? My husband is a head chef and we need a sponsorship but out of the hundreds of jobs he's applied for, all we get is sorry you need to be here for interview. Any help on achieving the job he needs will be greatly appreciated. Not bothered where in WA or Queensland.
Have a good day carol & jeff
Old Mar 29th 2015, 9:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie

HI and Welcome to BE

best place to ask this would be in the Australian forum Australia - British Expats

but I am guessing that as you have already been advised it looks like he may have to bite the bullet and go over to be available for interviews
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffcaz02
Hi we have been trying to emigrate to Australia for a number of years. Why is it so expensive it is so difficult to get the money to pay for everything. We barely get through each month wages low. Anyone with tips to cut some of the costs down? My husband is a head chef and we need a sponsorship but out of the hundreds of jobs he's applied for, all we get is sorry you need to be here for interview. Any help on achieving the job he needs will be greatly appreciated. Not bothered where in WA or Queensland.
I'll move your post t our Aussie forum I think, more of us will see it that way.

My own five eggs is that its very hard - now more than ever - to get a job before you arrive, especially if you need sonsrship. Many many people in Aus can do the same work, without an employer paying for sponsorship.
The turnover here is faster than in the UK - where most people in the UK are paid monthly.give a months notice - here it is fortnightly. Jobs like this are filled much faster, hence its unusual to get an employer who will wait several weeks for a visa to come through. He needs to offer something special and different to get attention

And yes it is expensive now, and its expensive to live here, the days of Aus being cheap are long gone The only advice I can give for saving money in the process os to DIY and not use an agent.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie (moved from Welcome Inn)

In all honesty, if you can barely get through each month now you are going to find it incredibly difficult to emigrate. Moving countries is not an easy or inexpensive prospect - think $20-30k. By the time you pay the cost of your visa, flights, shipping, setting up in a new country, you're going to need a whole lot of money in the bank.

As for finding jobs/sponsorship, I do think you are going to struggle. There is no need for restaurants here to pay thousands of dollars sponsoring someone from overseas when there are plenty of chefs here in Australia who can do the job now.

Look at maybe saving for a couple of years then apply for a skilled visa (if your husband's job is still on the SOL or CSOL), come over and get a job that way.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Chef is on the SOL so does not require sponsorship to get a visa. Skills assessing body is listed as TRA.

Have you checked to see if you can get enough points for independent visa.

I did a google search for Chef jobs with sponsorship and there were a few results but mostly regional NSW I think.

If your husband is young enough, have you considered him coming over on a WHV to try and find work and sponsorship that way?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we have been trying to emigrate to Australia for a number of years. Why is it so expensive it is so difficult to get the money to pay for everything. We barely get through each month wages low. Anyone with tips to cut some of the costs down?
Perhaps look at it from another perspective. Rather than cutting costs down, how can you raise your low wages?

My husband is a head chef and we need a sponsorship but out of the hundreds of jobs he's applied for, all we get is sorry you need to be here for interview. Any help on achieving the job he needs will be greatly appreciated. Not bothered where in WA or Queensland.
Are head chefs paid well? If not, or if in your instance he's not, then perhaps its time to change that.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:46 am
Just Joined

best place to ask this would be in the Australian forum Australia - British Expats

but I am guessing that as you have already been advised it looks like he may have to bite the bullet and go over to be available for interviews[/QUOTE]

Morning Thanks very much

WEll take a look at the forum you mention , we did think this was for down under, we are a little confused from some of the rplies as the advice conflicts what the migration agent we saw at an expo informed us. Goes too show what some of these migration agents tell people, they advised state nominated or state/ employer sponsored visas.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'll move your post t our Aussie forum I think, more of us will see it that way.

My own five eggs is that its very hard - now more than ever - to get a job before you arrive, especially if you need sonsrship. Many many people in Aus can do the same work, without an employer paying for sponsorship.
The turnover here is faster than in the UK - where most people in the UK are paid monthly.give a months notice - here it is fortnightly. Jobs like this are filled much faster, hence its unusual to get an employer who will wait several weeks for a visa to come through. He needs to offer something special and different to get attention

And yes it is expensive now, and its expensive to live here, the days of Aus being cheap are long gone The only advice I can give for saving money in the process os to DIY and not use an agent.
Morning and thank you for all your advice, we watch wanted down under avidly, and never thought it was so so expensive to live , we were under the impression that electric was far cheaper than here in the UK, food evens itself out and rents were the only thing more expensive. But with what your saying we are now rather upset and confused. My hubby served in the navy as a chef for 16 yrs cooking for foreign dignitaries and V I P S, cooking all types of cusine, along with cooking for the Royal FAmily Inc Prince Philip and her majesty, I would think this was special enough!!
We just have to keep looking for an employer ...

Many thanks
Carol and Jeff.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:38 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Morning and thank you for all your advice, we watch wanted down under avidly, and never thought it was so so expensive to live , we were under the impression that electric was far cheaper than here in the UK, food evens itself out and rents were the only thing more expensive. But with what your saying we are now rather upset and confused. My hubby served in the navy as a chef for 16 yrs cooking for foreign dignitaries and V I P S, cooking all types of cusine, along with cooking for the Royal FAmily Inc Prince Philip and her majesty, I would think this was special enough!!
We just have to keep looking for an employer ...

Many thanks
Carol and Jeff.
Have a browse through other threads in the forum and you'll see a fair few discussing lifestyle costs, food bill, electric etc. Electricity has leapt up in price, and food has gone up steadily so that it is now far more expensive a place than even 3-4 years ago.
Coles is one of the major supermarkets here - have a look at their wbesite for some price comparisons
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
In all honesty, if you can barely get through each month now you are going to find it incredibly difficult to emigrate. Moving countries is not an easy or inexpensive prospect - think $20-30k. By the time you pay the cost of your visa, flights, shipping, setting up in a new country, you're going to need a whole lot of money in the bank.

As for finding jobs/sponsorship, I do think you are going to struggle. There is no need for restaurants here to pay thousands of dollars sponsoring someone from overseas when there are plenty of chefs here in Australia who can do the job now.

Look at maybe saving for a couple of years then apply for a skilled visa (if your husband's job is still on the SOL or CSOL), come over and get a job that way.
Morning Thank you for answering my question, however ther has to be issues in finding decently qualified Senior chefs otherwise the trade would not be listed as a trade in need, in particular W A, and Queensland. Once employent has been secured I have a policy to cash in which would then give me the funds to pay for everything, however a expert at a expo we went too recently advised $10, 000 would be enough for visa flights and enough to rent a property for 2 months. However im not cashing up in advance as I would lose out on future monies if we dont get the elusive visa. Considering its a Commonwealth country its so difficult to get accepted into , we U k citizens should only have minimal visa costs and as long as were of good character it should be as easymas that, recently spain and portugal gained an agreement where the citizens there can now get accepted very easily and quickly.... its not right really.
Have a good day
Carol & Jeff
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:00 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Thank you for answering my question, however ther has to be issues in finding decently qualified Senior chefs otherwise the trade would not be listed as a trade in need, in particular W A, and Queensland. Once employent has been secured I have a policy to cash in which would then give me the funds to pay for everything, however a expert at a expo we went too recently advised $10, 000 would be enough for visa flights and enough to rent a property for 2 months. However im not cashing up in advance as I would lose out on future monies if we dont get the elusive visa. Considering its a Commonwealth country its so difficult to get accepted into , we U k citizens should only have minimal visa costs and as long as were of good character it should be as easymas that, recently spain and portugal gained an agreement where the citizens there can now get accepted very easily and quickly.... its not right really.
Have a good day
Carol & Jeff
I know it's frustrating when you want something and it's difficult to get it. However, there's no reason at all why UK citizens should get special treatment. I can assure you, Australians who want to emigrate to the UK face all kinds of hurdles, including those who are already married to a Brit!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for getting in touch,
I was led to believe there was no chrges for visas and it was a open door to Australians, I used to work at a doctors surgery where we had a locum doctor who had come to the UK from Sydney and she implied she hadnt had any problems. At the end of the day we all have the same royal familyso neither us or Australians should have to face these problems not when both countries without the history between them have a much easier time of it to emigrate there.
Its something that should be sorted out and changes to reflect our ties and history should be considered , dont you think.
Being married to either a british person or Australian should ensure easier visa issue .. after all we in the UK accept many less desirables...

Regards Carol
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:28 am
Home and Happy

Thanks for getting in touch,
I was led to believe there was no chrges for visas and it was a open door to Australians, I used to work at a doctors surgery where we had a locum doctor who had come to the UK from Sydney and she implied she hadnt had any problems. At the end of the day we all have the same royal familyso neither us or Australians should have to face these problems not when both countries without the history between them have a much easier time of it to emigrate there.
Its something that should be sorted out and changes to reflect our ties and history should be considered , dont you think.
Being married to either a british person or Australian should ensure easier visa issue .. after all we in the UK accept many less desirables...

Regards Carol
Have a look at our UK visa/citizenship forum and you will see just how hard it is for a Brit to go home taking a non-EU spouse with them. Its much cheaper and easier for someone to move here to be with their Aussie spouse. Its far removed from the situation you envisage of 'no charges for visas and it was a open door to Australians'. Your contact may have had UK ancestry, she may even have been a dual citizen and able to move at will between the two countries. The only way she'd have been in the UK without paying for a visa fee, with only Australian nationality, would have been as a tourist - with a 6 month limit and unable to work.

Purely personally I don't agree with the horrific financial situation that people are expected to cope with taking a non-EU spouse into the UK, I think it is over the top, but neither to I agree that there should be completely free passage between the two countries - why should Australia be expected to take people from the UK just because they want to live here? And vice versa!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look at our UK visa/citizenship forum and you will see just how hard it is for a Brit to go home taking a non-EU spouse with them. Its much cheaper and easier for someone to move here to be with their Aussie spouse. Its far removed from the situation you envisage of 'no charges for visas and it was a open door to Australians'. Your contact may have had UK ancestry, she may even have been a dual citizen and able to move at will between the two countries. The only way she'd have been in the UK without paying for a visa fee, with only Australian nationality, would have been as a tourist - with a 6 month limit and unable to work.

Purely personally I don't agree with the horrific financial situation that people are expected to cope with taking a non-EU spouse into the UK, I think it is over the top, but neither to I agree that there should be completely free passage between the two countries - why should Australia be expected to take people from the UK just because they want to live here? And vice versa!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

We never had any idea of this, didnt think it was so difficult, after all plenty of other natinalities bring partners here. Programs on moving and books weve read dont project what you are telling me, I never expected all the negative comments on living down under, its not just a want to be there its a need for my health I know living in such a brilliant climate will give me a life to live, instead of the existence I know face. Expenses on day to day living has to be better than paying huge gas bills all year, I have to keep warm because of my medical problems.
On Saturday I met a woman frm the Sydney region she also had similar medical problems as I have, 10 yrs ago she left our shores shes now sympton free all for $32 towards the cost of meds that and the climate given her a new life .. she told me the care she got in the uk was rubbish compared to what she has gotten in Sydney .
That alone us enough to have to get a visa.
It sounds like you want to come to the uk, do you think theyd let us swap , lol ... if I was you I would reconsider this country is going to the dogs.. tory government has changed too much , unless your of ample means your not consudered as having needs , the NHS has totaly gone to pot both myself and my husband have had serious issues with the way now dearly missed members of our families were treated at a time when every resoucre should of been put into there care. But if your gone 60 .. your care in the NHS is not what it should be.
There have been hundreds of stories similar in the press ..the jobs on offer are not paying what they did 3 yrs ago due to E U citizens accepting wages under the minimum wage. Thats is you manage to get a contract thats not zero hours... these contracts arent just going to those at the bottom end of employment but office work & Banking roles have been reported to also be offering these . This is the con the goverment have allowed to go just so they can fool the british public that theyve created millions of jobs.. most of them are not worth having.
Housing is also mega expensive to buy especially in or near any big city.
I wish you all the very best if you do come over to the UK ?
Have a very good day and thanks again for everything
Arol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.