Aussie accents

Old May 26th 2004, 10:47 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by flying dutchman
I get a bit annoyed though with people who say picking up accents is 'fake' or 'sad'. I think it all depends on your background and your desire to fit in. Don't forget, to be in a country 30 years, surrounded by an Australian accent, it takes effort to retain a Yorkshire or whatever accent. Perhaps this is fake? A reluctance to integrate?
Yes, if I moved to France I would speak French and try to speak it without an English accent. It seems to me that moving to an "English"-speaking country is no different. You're going there, you should try to integrate to some degree. It's only polite. (Hot topic as far as emigrating *to* England goes!)

Having said that, I'm not sure I would be terribly happy at being told I had an Aussie accent. At least not at first. At least not by Brits. If an Aussie congratulated me on my lack of accent then I suppose I would take that as a compliment, much as if a Frenchman did.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by flying dutchman
This thread is an intersting one. I too listened with interest to 'Get a New Life' and that lifeguard bokey who sounds'true blue' aussie. I reckon he simply has put roots down and chosen to become Australian.

I get a bit annoyed though with people who say picking up accents is 'fake' or 'sad'. I think it all depends on your background and your desire to fit in. Don't forget, to be in a country 30 years, surrounded by an Australian accent, it takes effort to retain a Yorkshire or whatever accent. Perhaps this is fake? A reluctance to integrate?

I grew up all over Europe and in Canada and spent my formative years in international school in Portugal. So, my English is perfect, but I have a transatlantic/Dutch/Aussie accent as a result of the friends I made at school.

I also know that as I have no real roots (and I think this is key), and no accent to call my own, I pick up accents very easily. I am also very adaptable to other countries and cultures and languages, and thus accents too. I don't consider this a weakness though - I am just a product of my upbringing. In fact I think its a strength.

And, I know I slip into an Aussie twang when I am there. Can't help it.

If you moved to Leeds would you be ok about picking up our accent then lol and what is perfect english ... just joking but I cant wait to shed my accent but alas I think it is too strong and will be with me for ever
Old May 26th 2004, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
I'd dearly love to lose my brummie accent but its sticking fast so far a friend of mine from brum has lost hers completely after 8 years here, even ausie friends cant spot her as a pom, until she has a few drinks, then she reverts which is quite strange!!!

Conscious effort to lose accent when sober, revert to type when not?

OzTennis
Old May 26th 2004, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

you're probably right Oztennis, must try harder with my conscious effort
Old May 26th 2004, 11:33 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sky
If you moved to Leeds would you be ok about picking up our accent then lol and what is perfect english ... just joking but I cant wait to shed my accent but alas I think it is too strong and will be with me for ever
Sky,
Can't comment on Leeds, but I did live in Manchester for about 8 months as a kid and started to integrate i.e. pick up the accent. It just happens.

Perhaps it happens faster in kids because they are not really that rooted yet, and also because they just let their accent naturally evolve without concious thought?...
Old May 27th 2004, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
I'd dearly love to lose my brummie accent but its sticking fast so far a friend of mine from brum has lost hers completely after 8 years here, even ausie friends cant spot her as a pom, until she has a few drinks, then she reverts which is quite strange!!!
I stayed in a holiday cabin park in Victoria last Nov. run by Brummies who had lived in oz 35yrs and I could tell immediately where they were from! Whereas my old school friends from Aylesbury have really picked up the Aussie accent, although they both say that the Aussies can tell they are Brits!
Old May 27th 2004, 12:30 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Aussie accent

There's a theory that the Aussie accent comes from British/Irish convicts and settlers getting there and having to squint a lot due to the bright sun.

Go on, try it now - squint your eyes and say 'yeah'.

Aw mate.
Old May 27th 2004, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants to learn the lingo to go with the accent!

http://www.abc.net.au/civics/globalc...s/ozstrine.htm
http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/bev2000/strine2.htm
http://library.trinity.wa.edu.au/sub...t/austlang.htm

OzTennis
Old May 27th 2004, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

To me an Australian accent is 'normal' and any other accent I hear is immediately obvious to me and sticks out a mile.

My own accent is also 'normal' to me so I don't think I sound any different to anyone else.

So I still get a shock everytime I call someone I know on the phone here and they know it's me immediately - even though I only said hello. I'm always told that it's my very strong English accent.

Naturally, family in the UK think I sound like Dame Edna.

The other strange thing about accents is I only have to have a short conversation with anyone from South Africa - and I start clipping my words and begin to talk like them. Really wierd..
Old May 27th 2004, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie accent

Originally posted by Big Galah
There's a theory that the Aussie accent comes from British/Irish convicts and settlers getting there and having to squint a lot due to the bright sun.

Go on, try it now - squint your eyes and say 'yeah'.

Aw mate.
Well I'm scots/irish (born in Scotland with scots parent, live in Norn Iron mostly)and was reading 'Culture Shock Australia' this week, and I laughed at the phrases they claim to be uniquely Australian.

Togs - Swimming costume (nope Dad has always reffered to swimming costumes as togs, so Glaswegian scots origin)

Tea - Evening meal. M&D always refer to the evening meal as tea, so again Scots, maybe irish as well

Dinner - Refers to any meal, not just evening meal. Yip, I have constant arguments with Mrs JTL about what I mean when I say dinner. It CAN refer to lunch, though probably not breakfast.

Loads of other phrases all seemed familiar to me. Not so much 'Culture Shock' as 'Yes and...'

So I reckon I'll pick up the Aussie accent really quick. It doesn't help that I'm working with a bunch of Aussies in Glasgow already, I keep catching myself refering to everyone as 'mate' , and saying 'no worries'

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 27th 2004, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

"So I reckon I'll pick up the Aussie accent really quick. It doesn't help that I'm working with a bunch of Aussies in Glasgow already, I keep catching myself refering to everyone as 'mate' , and saying 'no worries'
"

'I reckon', thats another one that drills into the mind. Gotta stop saying that

JTL
Old May 27th 2004, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie accent

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Well I'm scots/irish (born in Scotland with scots parent, live in Norn Iron mostly)and was reading 'Culture Shock Australia' this week, and I laughed at the phrases they claim to be uniquely Australian.

Togs - Swimming costume (nope Dad has always reffered to swimming costumes as togs, so Glaswegian scots origin)

Tea - Evening meal. M&D always refer to the evening meal as tea, so again Scots, maybe irish as well

Dinner - Refers to any meal, not just evening meal. Yip, I have constant arguments with Mrs JTL about what I mean when I say dinner. It CAN refer to lunch, though probably not breakfast.

Loads of other phrases all seemed familiar to me. Not so much 'Culture Shock' as 'Yes and...'

So I reckon I'll pick up the Aussie accent really quick. It doesn't help that I'm working with a bunch of Aussies in Glasgow already, I keep catching myself refering to everyone as 'mate' , and saying 'no worries'

Cheers,
JTL
I couldn't agree more!!!! You have 'dinner ladies' at school...not 'lunch ladies'! I am forever having the same discussion with my Canadian husband!