Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

phoning uk from NZ?

phoning uk from NZ?

Old May 25th 2004, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of
Default phoning uk from NZ?

Hiya!

can anyone tell me the best deal they know of for ringing home to lovely england?

I'm looking at telecom sites and telstraclear, surely these are not the only phone companies in NZ? Other than that i'm using msn messenger or email, but some contacts don't support webcams and mics so really need the phone! It's so tough being a woman and not being able to gas with a phone attached to the ear for hours on end! Gives the old earlobes a rest though!

much appreciated and waiting in anticipation!

Deb

we need more choice of smilies on this site!
Old May 25th 2004, 4:06 am
Just Joined

lind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

We are in Oz....we buy phone cards from the newsagent and you can get some ridiculously cheap calls...then you can gas for hours!!!

Do they do them in NZ?

Good luck....I've found its good to be able to natter....my parents still think they have to shout though for us to hear them all the way over here!!!
Old May 25th 2004, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: phoning uk from NZ?

Originally posted by devonchick
Hiya!

can anyone tell me the best deal they know of for ringing home to lovely england?

I'm looking at telecom sites and telstraclear, surely these are not the only phone companies in NZ? Other than that i'm using msn messenger or email, but some contacts don't support webcams and mics so really need the phone! It's so tough being a woman and not being able to gas with a phone attached to the ear for hours on end! Gives the old earlobes a rest though!

much appreciated and waiting in anticipation!

Deb

we need more choice of smilies on this site!
telsra only give coverage in wellington (or christchurch..cant remember which) and maybe a few other places.....other than that youre stuck with telecom

u should be able to pick up phone cards for the uk tho, these will prob give you the best rate. telecom has a reduced 0161 deal, u cen check out their rates online.

msn messenger seems your best bet, itll be free! as you dont have to pay for local calls in nz
Old May 25th 2004, 6:38 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

There are at least 3 or 4 phonecard companies offering cheap call to the UK from NZ, we used to buy them in any of hundreds of local shops plus you can recharge them via credit card with a free phonecall.

Used to cost about 3-4p a minute 24/7.
Old May 25th 2004, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

creamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud ofcreamT has much to be proud of
Default phone cards

Hiya!

is that 3-4p a min or cents? I'm assuming you mean cents!

Thanks for the info, can I oick them up at most newsagents then? And also do they charge different rates?

Shall check em out and buy one tomoz I reckon!

Cheers for that
Old May 27th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: phone cards

Slingshot seem to have the best rates at the moment - you can ring the UK for up to 2 hours for a maximum of $4.00
Old May 27th 2004, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a broadband connection go and check out www.expattelecom.biz

As long as you have a broadband internet connection you can use Voice Over IP (VOIP). Calls to UK and USA landlines are from 2.6p per minute.

If the person you are calling is also on VOIP with this company you can speak for FREE!!!
Old May 27th 2004, 4:39 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Salli
If the person you are calling is also on VOIP with this company you can speak for FREE!!!
And the chances of this are... slim to slimmer. VoIP really hasn't caught on yet. Shame really.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
And the chances of this are... slim to slimmer. VoIP really hasn't caught on yet. Shame really.
No, but if you speak to someone often then get them to sign up too (the basic package is free to sign up to)...that's what I'm going to do so that I can chat to my Mum for however long I want when we move Down Under.

Last edited by Salli; May 27th 2004 at 4:47 pm.