Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Article - "Sydney: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

Article - "Sydney: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

Old Dec 13th 2006, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article - "Sydney: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

Originally Posted by thebears
You may be familar with Louies and Browns then?
Is that a cafe?

I don't take notice of names, (the busy life I lead parking up quickly): I walk into places and try the food. Can you describe them/it?

Theres a few places I used to wait sometimes. But since my daughter was born - 15 months ago - I've missed them.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Article - "Sydney: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

Originally Posted by OzTennis
http://www.theage.com.au/news/new-so...e#contentSwap1

Article published by a Melbourne newspaper it must be said but there must be a grain of truth in there!

OzTennis
Never been there myself, but knowing my own preferences, I reckon I'd feel the same way about it.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Article - "Sydney: nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there"

It depends on how you look at it, given the choice between living in London or living in Sydney I'd pick Sydney any day, and I've lived in them both. I lived in Sydney for six months when I was backpacking, and I loved every minute of it. Saying that, it was a different set of circumstances, and it was 10 years ago, but I'd still rather live there than London. If we get the visa though, we'll be heading for Melbourne I think

Dolly
Old Dec 13th 2006, 7:13 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Mate I used to drive in Glenferrie Rd (N of Toorak) to go to work when I first started - er working - in Melbourne (Richmond). It was the first glimpse I had of inner-suburban living, then my wife got a job in a dance studio there too (S of Toorak) so for us Glenferrie Road will always jar memories and Melbourne.

Although Chief is up the duff, she will be going back to help out New Year.
I'll buy you a beer (or a coffee one day).

cheers

B
when I came over on my rekkie in Feb, I made the mistake of booking an appartment in Richmond. My idea was this is central, easy to see different areas. It took me 1 day to regret the decision. I went maybe a bit blinkered, but I was surprised at how bad the traffic actually was (and I kept getting lost didnt help !! )

I loved Melbourne in general, but it was after travelling away from Richmond for 15 minutes (35 minutes in the rush hour) and then it started to appeal to me. I will be joining the BE members in the 35/45 minutes to the CBD area

As for Sydney, I think with a lot of expats, its dependant of the age group. If you are more in the young, succesful, ICT or banking etc group, i'm sure Sydney has a lot to offer. If you are in my group, early 40's young kids, and are looking for a bit more comfort in life, and less stress, the outer cities of Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide etc etc have a lot more to offer.

On a lighter note, I received this by mail this week, and sums it up a bit

SYMPTOMS OF BEING OVER 35

1. You leave clubs before the end to "beat the rush".

2. You get more excited about having a roast on a Sunday than going clubbing.

3. You stop dreaming of becoming a professional footballer and start dreaming of having a son who might instead.

4. Before throwing the local paper away, you look through the property section.

5. All of a sudden, Tony Blair is not 46, he's only 46.

6. Before going out anywhere, you ask what the parking is like.

7. Rather than throw a knackered pair of trainers out, you keep them
because they'll be allright for the garden.

8. You buy your first ever T-shirt without anything written on it.

9. Instead of laughing at the innovations catalogue that falls out of
the newspaper, you suddenly see both the benefit and money saving properties of a plastic winter cover for your garden bench and an
electronic mole repellent for the lawn.

10.You start to worry about your parents' health.

11.Sure, you have more disposable income, but everything you want to
buy costs between 200 and 500 quid.

12.You don't get funny looks when you buy a Disney video or a Wallace
and Gromit bubble bath, as the sales assistant assumes they are for your
child.

13.Pop music allstarts to sound crap.

14.You opt for Pizza Express over Pizza Hut because they don't have
any pictures on the menus and anyway, they do a really nice half-bottle of
house white.

15.You always have enough milk in.

16.To compensate for the fact that you have little desire to go clubbing,
you instead frequent really loud tapas restaurants and franchise pubs with wacky names in the mistaken belief that you have not turned into your parents.

17.While flicking through the TV channels, you happen upon C4's TimeTeam
with Tony Robinson. You get drawn in.

18.The benefits of a pension scheme become clear.

19.You go out of your way to pick up a colour chart from B&Q.

20.You wish you had a shed.

21.You have a shed.

22.You actually find yourself saying "They don't make 'em like that
anymore" and "I remember when there were only 4 TV channels" and Of
course, in my day...."

23.Radio 2 play more songs you know than Radio 1 - and Jeremy Vine has some really interesting guests on.

24.Instead of tutting at old people who take ages to get off the bus, you
tut at school children whose diction is poor.

25.When sitting outside a pub you become envious of their hanging baskets.(So true!)

26.You make an effort to be in and out of the curry house by 11

27.You find yourself saying "is it cold in here or is it just me?"
Alternatively, 'Is it warm in here or is it just me...?'

Last edited by furkew; Dec 13th 2006 at 7:21 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:26 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Take away the Harbour, beaches and some of the North Shore, and much of Sydney is completely lost.

I'm sure we could come up with a list like that for any city in the world and leave it lifeless and 'lost' LOL

Perhaps even Melbourne....!!!

(for the record I absolutely adore Melbourne, but am quite happy here in Sydney at the moment thanks very much....)

Graham