Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Article "If you want private education for your kids, pay for it yourself"

Article "If you want private education for your kids, pay for it yourself"

Old May 28th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article "If you want private education for your kids, pay for it yourself"

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

It's probably like drugs - a little won't harm... Or a bit of spirutual development! I only have an issue with people who use it as a crutch or complete life support system.
On a very, very personal note, my wife is an ardent Christian. I'm not.

But I'd be very happy about the kids going to a "moderate" Christian school because of the moral framework it provides.

(Oh dear - this is deja vu - I seem to remember this comment provoking a big argument about 6 months ago!)
Old May 28th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article "If you want private education for your kids, pay for it yourself"

Originally Posted by Exile
We had it at my state primary school. I'll never forget getting told off for not closing my eyes when praying
Me too!! Closing my eyes for a prayer scared the life out of me when I was 4!
Old May 28th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
To be fair though it is, certainly in my school, very moderate. They go to chapel once a week and sing a hymn in assembly and that's about it!

All my secular schools when I was a kid had an element of christianity. You had to study RE (you don't in my current "religious" school), you had to sing hymns in assembly and say prayers and you had to - in my primary school - say grace before meals!!
I do take your point, but to me the problem is just the fact that it is there, as institutionalized religion, however moderate.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Exile
I do take your point, but to me the problem is just the fact that it is there, as institutionalized religion, however moderate.
Sure.

And I can see why that can be a problem for some people. I must admit that when I was in the UK and applying for jobs in WA, I was shocked by the amount of church schools. It felt as though I was going into the Bible Belt of the US.

My own view is one of expediency. I'm prepared to take a bit of institutionalised religion if it means a better all round education.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sure.

And I can see why that can be a problem for some people. I must admit that when I was in the UK and applying for jobs in WA, I was shocked by the amount of church schools. It felt as though I was going into the Bible Belt of the US.

My own view is one of expediency. I'm prepared to take a bit of institutionalised religion if it means a better all round education.
I'm with you all the way and agree with all of the above.

It's some of the sect religions I'm a bit wary of - ie. there is a Mormon enclave in Narre Warren which friends of friends of friends invited us to a party. (It''s true!)

We all had to stand up in front of the church and introduce ourselves and our families. Thinking it would be patronising to take it too seriously and that men of the cloth are quite partial to a joke or two at His expense my opening lines amounted to me pretending to think I was mistakenly at a AA meeting....

cue silent faces...

never got invited back, but as the loon on the table next to me missed his guns and trucks from Utah I didn't feel we were missing out too much.

As for eyes closed during prayer - don't. I will never forget the time at lunch when an uneaten piece of treacle tart was pinched right from under my face.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thinking it would be patronising to take it too seriously and that men of the cloth are quite partial to a joke or two at His expense my opening lines amounted to me pretending to think I was mistakenly at a AA meeting....

cue silent faces...

Could have been worse. You could have said "When do we start swapping wives?"
Old May 28th 2007, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been worse. You could have said "When do we start swapping wives?"
What got me was that the AA joke was hardly original. It was the same joke I wheeled out at the ante-natal classes, the same joke we've all heard before.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

As for eyes closed during prayer - don't. I will never forget the time at lunch when an uneaten piece of treacle tart was pinched right from under my face.
Prayers before lunch at primary school still invokes a lifelong funny moment for me. We were all sitting around one of those octagon tables. We all had our hands clasped together. Eyes screwed shut but with one eye peeping at everyone else.

One kid opposite me with a heavy cold started laughing at all of us doing these fake prayers and laughed so hard that he shot thick green snot into his glass of water.

I remember seeing it floating around for a microsecond before collapsing with laughter and then another microsecond later getting picked up by the earlobe by some nasty cow of a teacher.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Prayers before lunch at primary school still invokes a lifelong funny moment for me. We were all sitting around one of those octagon tables. We all had our hands clasped together. Eyes screwed shut but with one eye peeping at everyone else.

One kid opposite me with a heavy cold started laughing at all of us doing these fake prayers and laughed so hard that he shot thick green snot into his glass of water.

I remember seeing it floating around for a microsecond before collapsing with laughter and then another microsecond later getting picked up by the earlobe by some nasty cow of a teacher.
I certainly had one eye open for one blonde girl who I won't name and shame now. (Where are you?)

She was a saffer, first contact, er, ahem, I had with a ''migrant'.
I couldn't work out why she didn't look African, and thought she was dead curious.