Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

arriving in oz without any of your furniture....

arriving in oz without any of your furniture....

Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:46 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about
Default arriving in oz without any of your furniture....

what do you do until it all arrives? Do you go out and buy some bits or stay in accomodation that is furnished until it arrives?
I am unsure if i should take everything but then end up buying stuff anyway since mine won't have arrived or just start a new when i get there.

advice appreciated.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arriving in oz without any of your furniture....

Originally Posted by di90
what do you do until it all arrives? Do you go out and buy some bits or stay in accomodation that is furnished until it arrives?
I am unsure if i should take everything but then end up buying stuff anyway since mine won't have arrived or just start a new when i get there.

advice appreciated.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:06 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

that really made me laugh - thankyou
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

that really made me laugh - thankyou
My pleasure.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

we didnt ship anything to oz.

we (OH and i , , a 15 year old and 8 year old), lived in a caravan site for about 4-6 weeks and when we got a rental we ran about mad to furniture shops and places like target getting stuff, all in all we found delivery of stuff very efficient.

The thing that took the longest was mattresses , some kind sole of another website lent us one, i slept on it, husband on the couch and the kids fortunately got their matresses delivered with their beds.

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 5th 2008 at 12:18 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

advice appreciated.
we didn't bring anything and just bought what we needed as we needed it. Most big items of furniture were delivered in a couple of days (made sure what we bought they had in stock and available for immediate delivery).
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

advice appreciated.
We did ship ours and stayed in a furnished rental for the first six weeks but had to move into unfurnished before our furniture arrived. We were lucky in that my new colleagues in Housing SA were all lovely and gave us a blow up mattress, deck chairs, quilt, plates, cutlery etc for the week we had nothing and a lovely family from down south who kindly advertised a tv they were happy to loan out to new arrivals. You'll pay about $500+ per week for furnished (for a 3/4 bed 2 bath house) if you are staying there for 6 months or if just for a few weeks about $650 per week. You can rent an unfurnished rental 3/4 bed 2 bath for between $300-$360 per week depending on where you want to live (and sorry I can only talk for SA!!!) so I suppose it depends whether you think its worth the extra per week or whether you would prefer to buy just a few bits and pieces to keep you going short term and IKEA is great for that kind of thing. Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You could always ship it before you leave so it arrives at the same time as you do. It's easier to borrow stuff from people in the UK (where you're likely to know more people who will chip in and help) and make do for a few weeks before you leave - than it is to do it at the other end where you know few people.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:51 pm
finally in melbourne

Originally Posted by NickyC
You could always ship it before you leave so it arrives at the same time as you do. It's easier to borrow stuff from people in the UK (where you're likely to know more people who will chip in and help) and make do for a few weeks before you leave - than it is to do it at the other end where you know few people.
thats exactly what i have been thinking I will be sending 2 months before we go. However we will still have 3-4 weeks when there, that we will have to wait for it to arrive as its not a fulll container.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

You can always rent furniture..I did back in the 90's when i moved to OZ from NZ
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:31 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

basically you camp out in a big empty house
though to be honest we saw it as an adventure
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

We went to Ikea

We left the UK mid-Feb and were in furnished accommodation for 4 weeks. Then we moved into an unfurnished rental which we kitted out with the basics from Ikea (beds for us & DD, kitchen stuff, a couple of those Poang chairs for the lounge... not heaps of stuff really).

I went back to the UK mid-March to get the house packed up and sorted (we moved out just 2.5mths after DH's first interview with the company so ran out of time really beforehand!). The stuff shipped end of March.

We didn't get it until about 8 June, despite the boat having gotten into Sydney at the beginning of May.

For the few months without our major stuff, it was OK though. The beds are still going strong 2.5 years on, all the kitchenware is still good too.