Reload this Page >

Arriving in Auckland June 2003

Arriving in Auckland June 2003

Old Apr 24th 2003, 10:03 am
Just Joined

In a silent way is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Arriving in Auckland June 2003

Hi to every one

I am a new user to this site and I have read a number of threads so I will try to be as specific as possible with my questions. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. I have had a great deal of it since November 2002 but now I feel it is time for an update.

I have been lucky to land a job at Auckland Grammar School for Boys. I am a 37 year old Brit teacher, married to Elaine and with two young boys aged 4 and 2. I am currently teaching here in Singapore where we have been for the last 7 years.

We are arriving on the 24th of June and after processing my work permit will have the job of finding somewhere to live. I begin work on July 21st: a luxury compared to some people who have to work straight away.

I have provisionally booked into an eponymous motel in Mount Eden for 7 days as a base for our settling in.

I would like to live near AGS but appreciate that the school zone is prohibitively expensive for even the people who work there. I think it would be safer to rent than buy until we feel a little more settled but we are considering PR.

My gross salary will be top of scale at 56K. The areas I have been advised to look at are One Tree Hill, Onehunga, Mount Albert. Again the I am aware that the rental market is tight but a three bedroom place would be fine for our needs and should be within budget of 375-450 per week unless of course people on this site tell me otherwise.

OK Thanks for reading so far

The questions

Are there any good motels in the Mount Eden area which you would recommend?

Are my rental ideas and or areas achievable or is there any where else to consider? Traffic of course being a concern but I would run the gauntlet of public transport so my wife can have the car to ferry the boys.

My oldest son Sam will probably like to go to a kindy. If they are not zoned could any body recommend one in the areas we have targetted?

I would like to buy a second hand car and have saved up for something like an older CRV or RAV. Cars in Singapore are very expensive and after going without for 7 years we feel a treat is overdue. My budget excluding insurance would be around 14-15K
Any dealers spring to mind or can I trust the private market? I know nothing about cars!

OK that is about it for the moment. Apologies for droning on. If any one wants some advice about Singapore I would be happy to reciprocate? BTW the SARS thing has been blown just slightly out of all proportion

Lloyd

Old Apr 24th 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

well as no one has jumped in yet i'll see what i can do..

the best i can do is

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
http://www.open2view.com/

and the n.g via google or your server

soc.culture.new-zealand

pretty good for these sort of enquiries

cheers

richard
Old Apr 24th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

just found these too...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/
www.nzherald.co.nz
www.nzoom.co.nz
www.nzcity.co.nz
http://www.7am.com/wireidx/nzl/
http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/
http://newstalkzb.co.nz/
www.xtra.co.nz
Old Apr 24th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

and this is a good guy in the know in auckland real estate btw...

http://www.boulgaris.com/

cheers

richard
Old Apr 24th 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

valleygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Another good one for real estate is

www.realenz.co.nz

Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:35 am
Just Joined

rexyap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arriving in Auckland June 2003

Hi Lloyd.

I just arrived in Auckland, read your mail, and I have similar concerns: I intend to enroll my sons (four of them) at AGS, look for a house within the zone and find a family car. All that I have to accomplish in five months time.

So, where are you residing now? What about the car? Recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards.

Rex Yap

Originally Posted by In a silent way
Hi to every one

I am a new user to this site and I have read a number of threads so I will try to be as specific as possible with my questions. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. I have had a great deal of it since November 2002 but now I feel it is time for an update.

I have been lucky to land a job at Auckland Grammar School for Boys. I am a 37 year old Brit teacher, married to Elaine and with two young boys aged 4 and 2. I am currently teaching here in Singapore where we have been for the last 7 years.

We are arriving on the 24th of June and after processing my work permit will have the job of finding somewhere to live. I begin work on July 21st: a luxury compared to some people who have to work straight away.

I have provisionally booked into an eponymous motel in Mount Eden for 7 days as a base for our settling in.

I would like to live near AGS but appreciate that the school zone is prohibitively expensive for even the people who work there. I think it would be safer to rent than buy until we feel a little more settled but we are considering PR.

My gross salary will be top of scale at 56K. The areas I have been advised to look at are One Tree Hill, Onehunga, Mount Albert. Again the I am aware that the rental market is tight but a three bedroom place would be fine for our needs and should be within budget of 375-450 per week unless of course people on this site tell me otherwise.

OK Thanks for reading so far

The questions

Are there any good motels in the Mount Eden area which you would recommend?

Are my rental ideas and or areas achievable or is there any where else to consider? Traffic of course being a concern but I would run the gauntlet of public transport so my wife can have the car to ferry the boys.

My oldest son Sam will probably like to go to a kindy. If they are not zoned could any body recommend one in the areas we have targetted?

I would like to buy a second hand car and have saved up for something like an older CRV or RAV. Cars in Singapore are very expensive and after going without for 7 years we feel a treat is overdue. My budget excluding insurance would be around 14-15K
Any dealers spring to mind or can I trust the private market? I know nothing about cars!

OK that is about it for the moment. Apologies for droning on. If any one wants some advice about Singapore I would be happy to reciprocate? BTW the SARS thing has been blown just slightly out of all proportion

Lloyd

Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The post dates from Aug 2003, and was the only one the guy made.
Don't think hes likely to answer you....
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

rexyap is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

Anyway, my first few days have been quite productive. The place, the opportunities...simply overwhelming!

Again, thanks and Happy New Year

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The post dates from Aug 2003, and was the only one the guy made.
Don't think hes likely to answer you....