Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide, Brisbane, or ???????

Adelaide, Brisbane, or ???????

Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:31 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adelaide, Brisbane, or ???????

Haven't posted on here for a while. So here goes.....

We have been in Australia for nearly 4 months. We are presently in Adelaide. We chose Adelaide as it's climate seemed favourable with seasons and less humidity. House prices were more affordable and Adelaides quiet reputation seemed ideal for our young family.

Before We take the plunge and spend our U.K pounds, We are planning to check out other states that interest us.

We have previously been to Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane.

We liked Brisbane, but I was unsure if I could cope with everyday life coupled with the humidity (which I found hard going in April last year) We are flying up to Brisbane again in the holidays and apart from the usual touristy stuff we plan on a whirlwind tour of a few recommended suburbs.

This has probably been asked countless times before (sorry) but where do you think We might fit? And more importantly for me are there places which have a cooling breeze? Any opinions on the following areas greatly received:

Cleveland, Victoria Point, Redland Bay, Wellington Point, Manly and Wynnum

and more inland:

Algester, Calamvale, Stretton, Daisy Hill, Shailer Park, Combia, Windaroo

I realise that one persons Utopia may well not be ours and you can't truely tell until you've lived there. I'd just like to be in an older established place that has a community feel, has a decent choice of shops, has other young families,trees and open spaces and has pleasant surroundings in general. It doesn't have to be near a beach either.

One last thing (Promise!) Is there a Web-site just for Poms in Brisbane as 'Adelaidebrits' is for Adelaide???

Thanks for listening.....
Jan, Rob, Emily (6), David (5), Joanna(3) and Paddy the Dog
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide, Brisbane, or ???????

Originally Posted by Jan3kids

We have been in Australia for nearly 4 months. We are presently in Adelaide. We chose Adelaide as it's climate seemed favourable with seasons and less humidity. House prices were more affordable and Adelaides quiet reputation seemed ideal for our young family.

Before We take the plunge and spend our U.K pounds, We are planning to check out other states that interest us.

We liked Brisbane, but I was unsure if I could cope with everyday life coupled with the humidity (which I found hard going in April last year) We are flying up to Brisbane again in the holidays and apart from the usual touristy stuff we plan on a whirlwind tour of a few recommended suburbs.

This has probably been asked countless times before (sorry) but where do you think We might fit? And more importantly for me are there places which have a cooling breeze? Any opinions on the following areas greatly received:

and more inland:

I realise that one persons Utopia may well not be ours and you can't truely tell until you've lived there. I'd just like to be in an older established place that has a community feel, has a decent choice of shops, has other young families,trees and open spaces and has pleasant surroundings in general. It doesn't have to be near a beach either.

One last thing (Promise!) Is there a Web-site just for Poms in Brisbane as 'Adelaidebrits' is for Adelaide???

There is:

http://www.britzinbrisbane.com/discussionboard/

but it doesn't get much traffic compared to the Adelaide site
Old Dec 5th 2004, 2:42 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

we know where you're coming from and we feel stuck between a rock and a hard place right now (thank God not Uluru). We arrived in Sydney recently and love the oz lifestyle but we feel that it's not right for us so heading off for Melbourne.

Are there any Melbourne brits sites? Would love to meet up with them.

All the very best with your new lives Jan/Rob/Kids/Dog
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point

and more inland:

Hi Jan and Co
Hope you don't mind me asking but as we are hopefully heading to Adelaide, is there anything in particular that has put you off over the past 4 months? We were originally looking at Brisbane and my parents have recently returned. They found it lovely but it was very hot and humid although not every day. We haven't been put off Brisbane, although the humidity does worry me, but job circumstances are pointing to Adelaide at the moment. However, it could change My parents stayed with family in Albany Creek which they said was lovely and an established community with good schools.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Carolyn
Old Dec 5th 2004, 5:52 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
we know where you're coming from and we feel stuck between a rock and a hard place right now (thank God not Uluru). We arrived in Sydney recently and love the oz lifestyle but we feel that it's not right for us so heading off for Melbourne.

Are there any Melbourne brits sites? Would love to meet up with them.

All the very best with your new lives Jan/Rob/Kids/Dog

The Melbourne site is called BritVics, you will find it here.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:15 pm
ABCDiamond

And more importantly for me are there places which have a cooling breeze? Any opinions on the following areas greatly received:

Cooling breezes are in this area and it has its own local web forum: Brisbane Bayside Brits
Also check out Victoria Point Information for local information.

Any opinions on the following areas greatly received:
more inland:
In the summer it's generally a bit warmer inland, except in winter when it is colder inland..

I realise that one persons Utopia may well not be ours and you can't truely tell until you've lived there.
That's absolutely true. I moved up here from Sydney and much prefer it here. Its actualy cooler here in the summer than it was in Western Sydney and of course warmer in the winter.

Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:04 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
Hi Jan and Co
Hope you don't mind me asking but as we are hopefully heading to Adelaide, is there anything in particular that has put you off over the past 4 months? We were originally looking at Brisbane and my parents have recently returned. They found it lovely but it was very hot and humid although not every day. We haven't been put off Brisbane, although the humidity does worry me, but job circumstances are pointing to Adelaide at the moment. However, it could change My parents stayed with family in Albany Creek which they said was lovely and an established community with good schools.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Carolyn

It certainly can get hot here, and I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I miss the cold (sometimes!) for me the perfect day would be 28-30C with no humidity. Unfortunately the days of 35C+ and 80%+ humidity are quite the norm during certain times of the year. You can (and do) adapt though... at first I found the slower pace of life a bit dull, but now I'm glad of an hour or two in the middle of the day (at the weekend of course!) to chill out a bit
I live fairly near the Albany Creek area, and find the whole area to have about as good as community feel as you'll get, when local pubs aren't the norm
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:36 am
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Toowoomba, about an hour and a half from Brisbane, don't know how far you want to be but it's great here for kids. The parks and views are beautiful, the schools have a great reputation and as Toowoomba is situated on top of a mountain range we get cooler weather than brisbane, and less humidity!

Worth a visit???
Old Dec 6th 2004, 4:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by graceyg
We live in Toowoomba, about an hour and a half from Brisbane, don't know how far you want to be but it's great here for kids. The parks and views are beautiful, the schools have a great reputation and as Toowoomba is situated on top of a mountain range we get cooler weather than brisbane, and less humidity!

Worth a visit???
The high temps in Toowoomba look similar to the Bayside area, after comparing last Decembers numbers. But being cooler than Brisbane inland, especially Ipswich. It does get cooler in Toowoomba, I noticed it went down to about 14°C last December, compared to our low of 16°C

Land is also cheaper out your way, probably get an acre or two for the price of our 800sm blocks.

Highest December 2003 temps in 4 areas, according to http://www.bom.gov.au, were:
Brisbane City 34.5°C
Toowoomba 34.8°C
Ipswich 38.3°C
Bayside 32.2°C

Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:52 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Many apologies for my ridiculous delay in getting back......

My profile had my old U.K E-Mail address, so I thought I had no replies ...... Just thought I'd check. How wrong I was! Thank-you to all of you that took the time the reply.

We will be in Brisbane on the 13th Jan.Staying in a kid friendly resort in 'Ashmore' not far from Surfers Paradise. Are there any meets between the 14th and 22nd. We'd love to come along for a chat and get some opinions.Travellings' not a problem.

Looks like We will be concentrating our search around the 'Bay' area, although Robs work would be in 'Heathwood' (18k South of the City) So lots (again!!) to be taken into consideration.

To the family who were concerned about our uncertainty re: Adelaide. It is a lovely place,not your tourist brochure stuff, but it offers a good quality of life. Yes it has good and bad points as does everywhere. We just haven't felt right with any one particular area yet and wanted to explore further afield before We take the plunge with our pounds.We just want to be certain (as much as you can be without 'local knowledge' and away from your home turf)as it will be hard to move again as the kids have settled into school and We have started making friends

Thanks also for the links, I will look into them in the next day or so.

Thanks Again for your help,

Jan and Family

P.S If anyone 'official' is reading this I am having difficulty changing my E-Mail address on my profile as I need to give my password to do so.......and have forgotten it(my password) Of course I can always ask for a reminder to be sent......

to my (old) E-Mail address. ARRRGGGGGGGGGG.

Clear as mud???
Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

The link earlier in the thread for the BritzinBrisbane website is unfortunately no more, however the above Thread from ABC Diamond has a link to a new site which in time could replace the defunct site.

Happy New Year
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:30 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

We will be in Brisbane on the 13th Jan.Staying in a kid friendly resort in 'Ashmore' not far from Surfers Paradise. Are there any meets between the 14th and 22nd. We'd love to come along for a chat and get some opinions.Travellings' not a problem.

Hi Jan - unfortunately I think the main Brisbane meet is on Jan 8th. However I think it would have been a couple of months by mid-Jan since the guys on the Gold Coast have met up, perhaps they'll be having a meet. You could try putting up a post or pm'ing Desby, I think she's down there.

Cheers