Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:16 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Don't worry most people feel the way that you are feeling right now. I can't imagine what its like to start work the very next day after emigrating!! I started work a week later and regret it totally. I should've given myself about 3 weeks before starting work to recover from the jetlag, know the area where I was living and settle in.

All I can say is stop stressing. Seriously. Set yourselves a limit for review say at the end of 6 months to see where you both are and how you feel and if you both feel so awful then go home. Its only as big as you want to make it. This weekend, if you're not working, get yourself out and about like a proper tourist and enjoy! You'll love Sydney, whereabouts are you?
Thanks again all for putting some real experiences here. I am working in West Ryde and staying in Meadowbank. I plan to get out this weekend and start to orientate myself
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:38 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Thanks again all for putting some real experiences here. I am working in West Ryde and staying in Meadowbank. I plan to get out this weekend and start to orientate myself
I can't believe you're working already! Jet lag will smack you around so that even if you're awake, you're not thinking straight and you don't even realise you're not making sense.

Don't panic. Get into a routine to set yourself up: buy the Sydney Morning Herald every day, find a good coffee shop to go to in the morning, get groceries from the mall at Rhodes etc.