Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:40 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Arrived yesterday in Sydney and started work today and finding it all a bit overwhelming. I know I shouldn’t complain as I have had quite a smooth process in getting here on a 457 visa and some financial support from my company.
However I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach of "oh what the hell am I doing here" and why have I disrupted mine and my family’s life. I know I should be thinking of why we came here and it was for the lifestyle and new life experience, however the feeling is real and the fact my wife and daughter aren’t here is hard to deal with right now. First day at work was surreal and it didn’t feel like I was made that welcome....or is it just me not feeling myself. I always said it would be hard for the first year, but didn’t expect me to feel so negative on arrival. Here is to things improving.

Right whinge over.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to allronan_in_Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived in Sydney and completely overwhelmed

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Arrived yesterday in Sydney and started work today and finding it all a bit overwhelming. I know I shouldn’t complain as I have had quite a smooth process in getting here on a 457 visa and some financial support from my company.
However I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach of "oh what the hell am I doing here" and why have I disrupted mine and my family’s life. I know I should be thinking of why we came here and it was for the lifestyle and new life experience, however the feeling is real and the fact my wife and daughter aren’t here is hard to deal with right now. First day at work was surreal and it didn’t feel like I was made that welcome....or is it just me not feeling myself. I always said it would be hard for the first year, but didn’t expect me to feel so negative on arrival. Here is to things improving.

Right whinge over.

Give yourself some time. Things will be fine soon. . I had the same feeling when I arrived, but things changed soon. I'm very happy and satisfied now.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

You're homesick, you'll get over it.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:59 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tartankoala
That’s what I’m thinking, but I’ve only been away for 3 days and I’m used to travelling with my job in the UK. I think I am more annoyed with myself that I was so excited to get here and now I’m questioning why I’m here. But you are right, time is the key here and I’m sure the feeling will dissipate
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Right whinge over.
Sometimes the answer's in the question.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:01 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Right whinge over.
If you only arrived yesterday and started work today then I'm not surprised you feel out of sorts
Starting a new job can be strange even within the same town, never mind a different country!
I think you are right - time is key, good luck
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
I think it might just be jetlag.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought it was tough arriving on a Wednesday and starting work the next Monday! I did envy the two weeks my husband had before he had to start work. Felt like I didn't get chance to acclimatise and the practical things that need to be done at first seem daunting.

First days can go ok, but they aren't usually fantastic, not in my experience anyway. Just give it time, try not to overthink it. You're here now might as well stop worrying about the why and focus on trying to make it work.

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:15 am
Banned

Thanks folks. I kinda know the answers, but sometimes just blurting t out on the forum and the responses help knowing that it’s just natural to feel out of sorts.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking from personal experience the initial feeling of "feeling lost" does dissipate soon, once you get into a routine. This comes from someone who has had to adjust to some major changes in lifestyle!!!! Just to list a few (14 months in Oz today!):

> Giving up a fantastic career/job overseas and becoming a stay-at-home mum in Oz (not easy, considering I worked for 19 years and loved my job..but now enjoy staying at home even more!)

> Temporarily staying apart from my husband (this was really tough but thank God for Skype!! Just another 7 weeks to go before we are together again )

> Bringing up our two children on my own.

So there you go! Good luck with your new life downunder.

PS: And whinge away, it is therapeutic!

Last edited by IndieG; Oct 14th 2010 at 8:59 am.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone would if they started work that soon. You'll be fine after the weekend. Will only get better
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by IndieG
Speaking from personal experience the initial feeling of "feeling lost" does dissipate soon, once you get into a routine. This comes from someone who has had to adjust to some major changes in lifestyle!!!! Just to list a few (14 months in Oz today!):

> Giving up a fantastic career/job overseas and becoming a stay-at-home mum in Oz (not easy, considering I worked for 19 years and loved my job..but now enjoy staying at home even more!)

> Temporarily staying apart from my husband (this was really tough but thank God for Skype!! Just another 7 weeks to go before we are together again )

> Bringing up our two children on my own.

So there you go! Good luck with your new life downunder.

PS: And whinge away, it is therapeutic!
Yeah I know the feeling about the job. Although I am working for the same company, the role I have taken on here has some real challenges and I was also really happy in my role in the UK with great career prospects. Feels like ive stepped back 10 years. You are right whinging and getting feedback is therapeutic and thanks everyone for responding. Im actually more disappointed with myself in how much I was looking forward to getting here and once I arrived I have all these negative feelings. However day 3 and still waking up at stupid o'clock worrying, but less than day 1
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

When you finish work today, get yourself to the Opera Bar next to the Opera Hose, or the Harbour View Hotel on Cumberland Street (upstairs), take in the view, have a good old Aussie beer like Tooheys New, and smell the roses!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

That’s what I’m thinking, but I’ve only been away for 3 days and I’m used to travelling with my job in the UK. I think I am more annoyed with myself that I was so excited to get here and now I’m questioning why I’m here. But you are right, time is the key here and I’m sure the feeling will dissipate
You still have jetlag, you have started your job very early into that jetlag and you havent even got your bearings yet so dont be too hard on yourself.

I remember thinking 'what the hell have we done' and that feeling of not having your own place/friends, all the different things you have to get used to - shopping, food brands, where stuff is, how stuff is done, couple that with moving country, home, starting a new job and your wife not being here, it is not surprising you are in shock.

I am sure you are welcome in your new job, you are probably giving out the 'lost vibes', I know when we have people on 457 visas, some of them have come across as unapproachable and self isolating but the more we have got to know them, they have come out of their shell and become part of the team and to become part of the team you have to prove yourself as a team player.

Accept any invites your work colleagues may give you, go for a beer, ask them where a good place to have a drink with, be receptive to them and their suggestions, don't be afraid to say to someone 'I am feeling a bit lost, I dont suppose you could help me with....' you will be surprised at their response.

When you get home, I suggest you treating yourself to a few beers and relax and allow yourself time to get over your jetlag which can take a few weeks so be gentle on yourself and make sure you get enough sleep.

Honestly, it will get better but when you next go in to work, go in with a smile on your face, get to learn everyones names and take the time to find out a bit about them and how the procedures are so you can do things their way. That will go a long way I promise.

You must take one day at a time and remember tiredness will cloud your judgement, so accept that.

You will be fine.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Don't worry most people feel the way that you are feeling right now. I can't imagine what its like to start work the very next day after emigrating!! I started work a week later and regret it totally. I should've given myself about 3 weeks before starting work to recover from the jetlag, know the area where I was living and settle in.

All I can say is stop stressing. Seriously. Set yourselves a limit for review say at the end of 6 months to see where you both are and how you feel and if you both feel so awful then go home. Its only as big as you want to make it. This weekend, if you're not working, get yourself out and about like a proper tourist and enjoy! You'll love Sydney, whereabouts are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.