Reload this Page >

Arrived and settled in Sydney

Arrived and settled in Sydney

Old Oct 10th 2003, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrived and settled in Sydney

Hi All, sorry its been so long!

got to sydney first week of September, and started work the week after. Finding an apartment was easy, but I believe we paid over the odds for the location. We are 5 minutes to darling harbour, and 5 minutes to the main shops. However, we are paying $500 a week! Then, we have to pay storage for our stuff. We want to buy at the end of our lease, and don't want to move all our stuff, so left it in storage for now.

I was one of the lucky ones, in that I found a job before I came out. However, my wife is struggling. It seems the Australian policy is to hire Australians before anyone else. We didn't actually believe this at first, but having read some reports, and spoken to a few other people, it seems to be true. She is in HR, and I am in IT.

We haven't had a chance to do any of the touristy stuff yet, but we have seen bars and restuarants! We do find Sydney VERY expensive generally, even though some things are cheaper.

If anyone is looking to move to Sydney, unless you really want to stay in the centre, look at somewhere like Milsons point, North SYdney, or even Parramatta. you will get more for your money.

buying a house is VERY expensive. You need 5-8% to cover other costs like stamp duty, legal fees, and unless you have a 20% deposit, you will need mortgage insurance too. Ridiculous, especially since the house prices for a 4 bed place are apprix 500k, 20% is 100k deposit, plus 25k other costs, you would need 125thousand to get a good deal.

Another thing that strikes me here, is how well off everyone is. Nearly everyone you speak to has a 2nd property, another business, or some other assets. I feel like a pauper!

Weather has not been that good so far, but hopefully will get better now.

Finally, the main thing is, we miss our friends and family. We have found it hard to meet people here, maybe because we are living in the City? We are going to start Yoga, and self defense classes to meet people.
Old Oct 10th 2003, 5:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrived and settled in Sydney

Originally posted by Growler
Hi All, sorry its been so long!

got to sydney first week of September, and started work the week after. Finding an apartment was easy, but I believe we paid over the odds for the location. We are 5 minutes to darling harbour, and 5 minutes to the main shops. However, we are paying $500 a week! Then, we have to pay storage for our stuff. We want to buy at the end of our lease, and don't want to move all our stuff, so left it in storage for now.

I was one of the lucky ones, in that I found a job before I came out. However, my wife is struggling. It seems the Australian policy is to hire Australians before anyone else. We didn't actually believe this at first, but having read some reports, and spoken to a few other people, it seems to be true. She is in HR, and I am in IT.

We haven't had a chance to do any of the touristy stuff yet, but we have seen bars and restuarants! We do find Sydney VERY expensive generally, even though some things are cheaper.

If anyone is looking to move to Sydney, unless you really want to stay in the centre, look at somewhere like Milsons point, North SYdney, or even Parramatta. you will get more for your money.

buying a house is VERY expensive. You need 5-8% to cover other costs like stamp duty, legal fees, and unless you have a 20% deposit, you will need mortgage insurance too. Ridiculous, especially since the house prices for a 4 bed place are apprix 500k, 20% is 100k deposit, plus 25k other costs, you would need 125thousand to get a good deal.

Another thing that strikes me here, is how well off everyone is. Nearly everyone you speak to has a 2nd property, another business, or some other assets. I feel like a pauper!

Weather has not been that good so far, but hopefully will get better now.

Finally, the main thing is, we miss our friends and family. We have found it hard to meet people here, maybe because we are living in the City? We are going to start Yoga, and self defense classes to meet people.
Growler. I guess you know what that means down here. Very fishy.

You can probably guess where I live. Not many people live right in the city and you will find it better in the burbs. Take your time to find out about the western burbs (if that is where you want to live) as they vary radically. A good introduction to the work place for your wife might be office temping.

Yep house prices are silly as everyone is buying second investment properties. Stamp duty is rediculous and was supposed to only affect high value properties. NSW Government never indexed it with house prices so now low value properties are included. The government is addicted to the cash so won't change it.

Things will get cheaper as you adapt to the Aussie way. ie you will find what is cheaper, when it is cheaper and where is the cheapest place. Eating out in Sydney is cheap when you know where to go.

Transport is cheap. $44 for the equivalent of a weekly travel card that cost more in GBPs.

You are in an expensive area so I doubt you are paying too much over the odds, especially if it is furnished and got secure parking.

You have done well to get work so quickly. The employing aussie thing is nearly right. It is more of an employ who you know. That is how I got my job (IT as well),

Milsons Point will not be cheap. I used to work there.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 12:02 am
LKB
Just Joined

LKB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Growler,

My boyfriend and I moved to Sydney almost 3 months ago and it was so nice reading ur thread as it made me feel "normal" as I've been complaining lots! My boyf is an Aussie so it's lots easier for him.

We are renting a place at Maroubra Beach (eastern suburbs) for $330 per week and we commute to the city by bus and it takes about 40 mins max in rush hour. So if u can bare the commute it may be worth ur while doing similar?? The flat also includes a huge underground lock-up garage which can be used for storage. It may also be worth looking at buying in a similar area although I know that they are still pricey!

My boyfriend had a job before he came here too but I didn't. I also work in HR and I managed to find a temporary HR job with Hays (based in the CBD). I also saw lots of jobs on Seek.com although they did seem to be mainly HR Admin roles. HR here is more complex and so there is lots to learn, which to me is a pain as I have already done this in the UK but it does pay well so it's worth it. I'm not too sure about the hiring Aussie first thing as I know that when I went for my interview for my temp role I was up against another English girl only. I think alot of the big companies won't hire you unless u are a PR which rules me out.

We haven't had a chance to get out and about either....slack! I agree with u regarding the expense. I think all things being equal Sydney is just as pricey as the UK...very disappointing!

I think people here take more risks and stretch themselves with regard to property so that they can keep up with the Jones? That's the way it is with my boyf's family and friends in Brisbane!

The weather has been seriously disappointing....I was so dumb thinking that australia was hot 365 days a year...duh!

I really miss my family and friends...almost packed up and went home last weekend (on my own...my boyf won't go back to the UK). It is so hard to meet friends. The only way seems to be through work if ur lucky enough to have nice work colleagues. We are both finding this difficult. Joining the classes will help though, but I find as in any city people aren't overly friendly. They just work and then go and do their own thing with their own friends and family.

On a positive note I am looking forward to a hot xmas and time really does fly here.

I hope your wife finds a job soon (I'm sure she will). maybe it will help if she does some AHRI courses (www.ahri.com.au).

GOOD LUCK!

Louisa
Old Oct 11th 2003, 1:04 am

Originally posted by LKB
Hi Growler,

My boyfriend and I moved to Sydney almost 3 months ago and it was so nice reading ur thread as it made me feel "normal" as I've been complaining lots! My boyf is an Aussie so it's lots easier for him.

We are renting a place at Maroubra Beach (eastern suburbs) for $330 per week and we commute to the city by bus and it takes about 40 mins max in rush hour. So if u can bare the commute it may be worth ur while doing similar?? The flat also includes a huge underground lock-up garage which can be used for storage. It may also be worth looking at buying in a similar area although I know that they are still pricey!

My boyfriend had a job before he came here too but I didn't. I also work in HR and I managed to find a temporary HR job with Hays (based in the CBD). I also saw lots of jobs on Seek.com although they did seem to be mainly HR Admin roles. HR here is more complex and so there is lots to learn, which to me is a pain as I have already done this in the UK but it does pay well so it's worth it. I'm not too sure about the hiring Aussie first thing as I know that when I went for my interview for my temp role I was up against another English girl only. I think alot of the big companies won't hire you unless u are a PR which rules me out.

We haven't had a chance to get out and about either....slack! I agree with u regarding the expense. I think all things being equal Sydney is just as pricey as the UK...very disappointing!

I think people here take more risks and stretch themselves with regard to property so that they can keep up with the Jones? That's the way it is with my boyf's family and friends in Brisbane!

The weather has been seriously disappointing....I was so dumb thinking that australia was hot 365 days a year...duh!

I really miss my family and friends...almost packed up and went home last weekend (on my own...my boyf won't go back to the UK). It is so hard to meet friends. The only way seems to be through work if ur lucky enough to have nice work colleagues. We are both finding this difficult. Joining the classes will help though, but I find as in any city people aren't overly friendly. They just work and then go and do their own thing with their own friends and family.

On a positive note I am looking forward to a hot xmas and time really does fly here.

I hope your wife finds a job soon (I'm sure she will). maybe it will help if she does some AHRI courses (www.ahri.com.au).

GOOD LUCK!

Louisa
Another new Sydneysider on here. Nice to hear your experience LKB. You are right about the friendliness. Bear with it and slowly you will make friends. Not something that can be rushed. Missing friends and family is natural and has its ups and downs usually co-inciding with your own ups and downs.

The weather is crappy. This time last year I was already sun tanning. A lot of things are expensive and the rising dollar might make the UK cheaper soon!!!! The big savings are in rent and petrol.

Hope things get better for you, especially the weather.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 5:20 pm
Badge

I would also wager that eating out is cheaper. Not talking about Michelin restaurants now, but a counter meal or a dinner in a privately owned restaurant.

Badge

Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:55 pm

Originally posted by badgersmount
I would also wager that eating out is cheaper. Not talking about Michelin restaurants now, but a counter meal or a dinner in a privately owned restaurant.

Badge
It certainly is cheaper. It is just getting to know a few places. Even places which serve the Michelin equivalent food are cheaper when compared to their UK counterparts.

The food courts cost as much for a meal as an M@S sarni in Britain.