Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Hi Everyone
So the big day draws nearer.
I know what moving to a new country etc is like because i moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago.
I know what it is like to be all of a sudden in a country which has different rules etc.
My main problem was what i needed to do and where to go.
No one tells you all this.
So can anyone give me a list of got to do things (not entertainment) but things like get drivers license changed over, register for Medicare.
Get a social insurance number.
There is nothing harder tan being a 43 year old family man that has in the contaxt of things just appeared.
I look forward to your replies etc
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arrive Brisbane on the 20th...

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
Hi Everyone
So the big day draws nearer.
I know what moving to a new country etc is like because i moved from Manchester to Canada 8 years ago.
I know what it is like to be all of a sudden in a country which has different rules etc.
My main problem was what i needed to do and where to go.
No one tells you all this.
So can anyone give me a list of got to do things (not entertainment) but things like get drivers license changed over, register for Medicare.
Get a social insurance number.
There is nothing harder tan being a 43 year old family man that has in the contaxt of things just appeared.
I look forward to your replies etc
I think a TFN and a bank account would be a good start...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
I think a TFN and a bank account would be a good start...
What is social insurance???!!!! I don't think I have that!? I've been here for 9 years and never heard of it! Do I need it?!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

I would get your bank account, TFN and medicare taken care of. Don't know where you are going to be living but there is a Medicare office in Indooroopilly shopping centre that is open on Saturday mornings. You can apply for your TFN online once you arrive. You have three months to get your drivers licence changed over. You can do it in a morning quite easily. There is an office in Spring Hill which is handy if you are working in the CBD. You get a temp paper licence and the real one arrives about 2 weeks after your appointment.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
You have three months to get your drivers licence changed over.
If your visa is permanent - no licence change necessary for a temporary visa.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
What is social insurance???!!!! I don't think I have that!? I've been here for 9 years and never heard of it! Do I need it?!

Love

Rudi
x
Social insurance is the Canadian equivalent of the TFN. So, nope, you don't need it unless you emigrate to Canada.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Social insurance is the Canadian equivalent of the TFN. So, nope, you don't need it unless you emigrate to Canada.
Ah ha!!!! Thank you for that!! PHEW!! I am glad I am not missing out on something!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:55 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Medicare offices

Department of Transport and Motor Vehicles Offices