Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

areas of perth to live in

Wikiposts

areas of perth to live in

Old Jul 10th 2004, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walla1
Hey

What's wrong with Geordies???!!!!!!!!

Walla
What's wrong with them? Car theives and dealers to a man..

Keel
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MartinC
Don't I know it. I travelled halfway around the world to be surrounded by Jocks, Micks, Scousers, Taffs and Geordies

Martin
You've just summed up Joondalup perfectly.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the newbies! Yes this question has been "done to death" and this is coming from someone who first registered back in 2001 so I've seen it many times, but as pointed out, using the search option can be tiresome as the threads often go off on a tangent and there are heaps to trawl through. Anyway, it's good to keep this subject up-to-date, for the purpose of the newbies constantly joining, which means starting off new threads on the same subject, surely?

If you are going to decide where to live according to school catchment areas, that is, if your kids' education is the most important deciding factor for you, then that will definitely narrow down the choice somewhat! Catchment areas don't apply if you opt for private education, but it will be near impossible to enrol for the top private schools because the kids all get put on the waiting lists at birth. I can't comment on which private schools to look at in Perth but there is a league table showing the equivalent A level results for all schools (private and state) which would help you narrow down the choices. If you go down the state route, then the top performing schools for the last few years have been Rossmoyne High and Applecross High. These suburbs have become more expensive because of the good reputations of the schools, but they have quite wide catchment areas, so it's worth looking at houses in, say Riverton or Shelley nearby. Have a look at the goverment website on schools http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ and find the website link from there to your preferred schools, as there you will find further info on the catchment areas.

You really would do well to try and visit as many different areas as possible when you get here before deciding, as it's so difficult to just go on other people's opinions alone, everyone is so different, and what's the right area for some, wouldn't be for others. We hope we've made the right choice moving to Mandurah, but having never visited Joondalup, Ellenbrook or most of the other suburbs, we can't really compare that much. Time is always limited and there's just so much to do when you first arrive, it is difficult to pick the right area first time.

Hopefully you'll get lots of interesting opinions on all topics, some good, some bad, but at least you'll arrive here in Oz well-informed and without expections set too high; it's always good to hear the negative as well as the positive comments. Good luck in your new venture.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

We are renting in Maylands (eastern side of Perth) and is very handy for getting to city centre( 15- 20 min bus/train)

Although we did not realise at first, it has proved a good base for looking both North and South of City at most ofl the suburbs.

After 2 months there, we are of the opinion that south of river offers more choice in our search for 1st property.

This is due to the following reasons we think are important for the immediate - short term view.

Close to work situated at Maddington
Closer to Mandurah and SW region...for weekends away.
Eventual Rail Link within 2 -3 years will open up this area.

We are looking in the 185- 225k range
To find a decent property up north would take us to the edge of perth civilisation!!
Old Jul 31st 2004, 7:36 am
Just Joined

get a life u is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: areas of perth to live in

Hi Sue & Mick

Very valid question - Unfortunately there are a lot of *ossers on this site...we are moving to Perth and still deciding on suburbs etc.....so in the same boat !!! good luck - if you find any info let us know via PM

Take care

Originally posted by sue and mick
Hi

looking for some help. Has anybody actually visited any suburbs of perth that they would recommend as we need to start looking for areas to live in good schools etc we are going out early next year for a look ourselves some of the places i have heard are nice are willeton, gooseberry hill,maida vale,ellenbrook and kalamunda any comments!

sue and mick
Old Jul 31st 2004, 7:42 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by keel
What's wrong with them? Car theives and dealers to a man..

Keel
mackem??
Old Jul 31st 2004, 10:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like a discussion about Perth to bring out the best in people

G
Old Jul 31st 2004, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NedKelly63
It is obvious to me that Sue & Mick and Big Yin are new to the forum. I'm also guessing that they are new to 'forums' full stop.

I totally agree on Big Yin's view on the purpose of this site. However, thats only going to have real value if long term posters remain. They have great knowledge of what has been asked in the past and can direct newer people accordingly.

Thats exactly what Ulujain did (900+ posts if I remember rightly). I took exception to Sue & Micks response as I dont believe being 'arsey' or 'short' with reasonable suggestions from long term posters is going to help anyone.

If the same old questions are continually revisited, long term posters will be bored and stop visiting the forum. Then where would all us 'newbies' (including me) be???

And Big Yin thinks I have a 'rubbish attitude'??

You've contradicted yourself
whats the point in having long term posters if they arent going to share information with newbies,
If they dont want to read the "whats Perth like" posts then dont read them and certainly dont reply to them.
you might as well answer them with the requested answer rather than a pompous and smart arsed retort.
Information changes all the time and so do posters, trawling back through past posts might not bring the best answer and is very time consuming.
lets not forget what this forum is for.
so think again before being a clever git.