Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas to move to with a 9 year old, Caloundra, little mountain,Mudgeraba, Coomera????

Areas to move to with a 9 year old, Caloundra, little mountain,Mudgeraba, Coomera????

Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:15 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Areas to move to with a 9 year old, Caloundra, little mountain,Mudgeraba, Coomera????

Hi all,

Were still thinking of moving east,,,been for another look and torn between areas hubby and i loved Noosa but prob a bit far up, so considering Caloundra...really love sunshine coast!!!,,,,my daughter (9) loves the GC, theme parks ect so we looked at Mudgeeraba which we really liked and coomera,,,,what do you do??? want to be central for my daughter when shes growning up but fell in love with sunshine coast,,,,decisions decisions!! we need good schools, near nice beaches, good transport, any help much appreciated,

thanks again

x
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

louhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nice
Default Re: Areas to move to with a 9 year old, Caloundra, little mountain,Mudgeraba, Coomera

Hi Dawn

The Sunshine Coast has a lot going for it although there is more more "hype" on the Gold Coast. Its only 2 hrs drive to the theme parks and with the entry cost probably best not to be next door unless you can get a locals ticket .

Happy to field any questions as I moved to the Gold Coast originally and have settled here in Moooloolaba.

Cheers
Lou
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:39 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Areas to move to with a 9 year old, Caloundra, little mountain,Mudgeraba, Coomera

Originally Posted by louhatton
Hi Dawn

The Sunshine Coast has a lot going for it although there is more more "hype" on the Gold Coast. Its only 2 hrs drive to the theme parks and with the entry cost probably best not to be next door unless you can get a locals ticket .

Happy to field any questions as I moved to the Gold Coast originally and have settled here in Moooloolaba.

Cheers
Lou
Ahh thanks Lou, How are you finding Mooloolaba? we loved it there too, is there any reason you choose there?? and whats your thoughts on Caloundra?? gotta be thinking off schools too

x
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Ahh thanks Lou, How are you finding Mooloolaba? we loved it there too, is there any reason you choose there?? and whats your thoughts on Caloundra?? gotta be thinking off schools too

x
If theme parks are a big factor for you, we often go down to GC, from sunshine coast, onto highway it only took us one hour 35 mins to wet and wild now the new road around the gateway bridge is up and running. Even kids commented it seemed shorter.

We always stop on the way back for dinner at IKEA, dinners are $4 each, cheapest place to eat in OZ by far.

On a day to day basis life on either coast would be very very similar. Unless you go to theme parks every day
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:13 am
Just Joined

louhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nicelouhatton is just really nice

Hi Dawn

All regions on the coast stack up in different way. Caloundra in some areas is a bit old school but in others there are new suburbs filling up with young families. Mooloolaba is a bit tight for accommodation in the affordable bracket. Mountain Creek is a good option and the schools there are top class.

All a matter of what you consider to be your ideal lifestyle. The coast is a great place to stay albeit very quiet...this can be the big drawcard if you like uncrowded beaches etc.

Of course job proximity can be the determining factor.

If you want more information on the region I can arrange for you and happy to do that.

Regards
Lou
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi all,

Were still thinking of moving east,,,been for another look and torn between areas hubby and i loved Noosa but prob a bit far up, so considering Caloundra...really love sunshine coast!!!,,,,my daughter (9) loves the GC, theme parks ect so we looked at Mudgeeraba which we really liked and coomera,,,,what do you do??? want to be central for my daughter when shes growning up but fell in love with sunshine coast,,,,decisions decisions!! we need good schools, near nice beaches, good transport, any help much appreciated,

thanks again

x
Hiya
Its a tough choice as all the places you mention are good popular places. Do you have jobs yet ? You may find that the location of your work will help with your decision,,
For me out of the places you mention i would go for Mudgeeraba,,lol, such a laid back country feel yet only a short drive to the hustle and bustle and gorgeous beaches.

Cal x
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't it depend on where you and/or your husband will get work? You don't want to be driving or commuting for hours.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:53 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't it depend on where you and/or your husband will get work? You don't want to be driving or commuting for hours.
Thanks everyone for your help, will look at mountain creek for def, schools are very important!!! funny enough hubby is thinking of keeping his job on in WA as FIFO and communting from brisbane, he does 2 weeks on 2 off,,,a friend of his does it and seems to work for them but im not to sure :/

xx
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your help, will look at mountain creek for def, schools are very important!!! funny enough hubby is thinking of keeping his job on in WA as FIFO and communting from brisbane, he does 2 weeks on 2 off,,,a friend of his does it and seems to work for them but im not to sure :/

xx
Fair enough. Hope he has enough time at the beginning to be with you and help settle in. I wouldn't fancy doing it all on my own with a young one. Happy enough later on, used to love the husband doing his turn of night shifts.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:33 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Fair enough. Hope he has enough time at the beginning to be with you and help settle in. I wouldn't fancy doing it all on my own with a young one. Happy enough later on, used to love the husband doing his turn of night shifts.
thats true Moneypenny where abouts are you living?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If theme parks are a big factor for you, we often go down to GC, from sunshine coast, onto highway it only took us one hour 35 mins to wet and wild now the new road around the gateway bridge is up and running. Even kids commented it seemed shorter.

We always stop on the way back for dinner at IKEA, dinners are $4 each, cheapest place to eat in OZ by far.

On a day to day basis life on either coast would be very very similar. Unless you go to theme parks every day
$4 dinners at Ikea eh?

Do they give you all the raw ingredients and you have to cook it youself?

What if you are one sausage short?!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

thats true Moneypenny where abouts are you living?
Near the QLD/NSW border.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Hi all,

thanks again

x
hi, we live in little mountain and love it! loads of young families, great beaches, only 5 mins to caloundra and right next door to meridan state college, a fantastic school! would def recommend it here
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Sippy Downs is also a nice family orientated area and I've heard that Chancellor Park primary and secondary are pretty good.Quick access to the freeway too with the new road and only 10 minutes drive to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore and the beaches,20/30 mins to Australia Zoo.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 1:02 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Originally Posted by shirlw
Sippy Downs is also a nice family orientated area and I've heard that Chancellor Park primary and secondary are pretty good.Quick access to the freeway too with the new road and only 10 minutes drive to Mooloolaba or Maroochydore and the beaches,20/30 mins to Australia Zoo.
ahh thanks everyone, ive had a few people saying move to GC instead as more to do, my daughters 9.....we love sunny coast, does anyone think GC is better for kids??