Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:22 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Originally Posted by annqldau
Why the sudden problem with Murrumba Downs, North Lakes gets more bad press than Murrumba
Ann, don't take it personally, it was just my opinion. I only included Murrumba Downs because it is shockingly bad for public transport into central brisbane.

Door to door it'll take you somewhere between 1hr 50mins and 2hr20mins to get into the CBD (if that's where you work).

That's about the same time as the daily commute from Russell island!!

Apart from that, Murumba downs is ok !

North lakes to CBD is about 1hr15mins by bus....plus the services are much more frequent. I'm not so sure that North Lakes is a bad suburb to live in... On this website, it tends to get bad press from some people because the houses are new/big/cheap and the gardens are small. But if you pressed those people for reasons as to why they do not like this suburb, all they'll come up with is "....err... I just don't like legoland houses"....not much of a reasoned argument.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your local views on the different areas in Brisbane. Looks like we will definetly be renting when we first get there as I dont think our house will be sold before we go.

I guess all of us look for different things when we move into an area and what is suitable for one is not for another which makes all peoples views worthwhile to someone. I would not be so worried about a smaller section as I dont really like the work that goes with a huge section but at the same time want a bit of space for my kids to play.

I guess we will have time to have a bit of a look around at where we want to live when we first get there. Looks like we will be there by the end of Feb.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Deception Bay - is known amongst some cruel members of Brisbane legal fraternity community as "Depression Bay" - and is known for having a low socio-economic demographic with all the usual associated issues.

Whether this reputation is deserved or not I cant comment on, just that people who work in legal services report being rather busy with clients from that part of town. I dont know anyone who lives out that way, and dont pass through very often either so cant comment directly....
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markallwood
North lakes to CBD is about 1hr15mins by bus....plus the services are much more frequent. I'm not so sure that North Lakes is a bad suburb to live in... On this website, it tends to get bad press from some people because the houses are new/big/cheap and the gardens are small. But if you pressed those people for reasons as to why they do not like this suburb, all they'll come up with is "....err... I just don't like legoland houses"....not much of a reasoned argument.
This is useful to know. I wondered if maybe there was higher crime or something more substantial about the negative comments about the area. A big, new house with not too much garden is what I'm after
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:04 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know whether there is higher crime or not....perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't. But I'm pretty sure that most of the "bad press" about places like north lakes / pacific pines / springfield lakes, is more to do with people's tastes.... many people don't like that particular style of housing. There are plenty of threads on here discussing North Lakes, Pacific Pines and Springfield.... use the search function to find out more!

cheers.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:44 am
Just Joined

benreffell is an unknown quantity at this point

I found some good stats a while back . . . . trouble is I can't find them now. May have been here

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D33...ment?utm_id=LN

Also found some "crime maps" of Sydney when I moved here from Brissy which were great, a quick search found these similar ones for Brissy, though a bit old (ones here in Syd changed a lot in the last few years in some areas e.g. break-ins dropped by more than half etc. so gotta be a little careful using them. Find similar for your old UK area to compare to get a better picture)

http://www.oesr.qld.gov.au/publicati...sd/index.shtml
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I honestly don't know whether there is higher crime or not....perhaps there is, perhaps there isn't. But I'm pretty sure that most of the "bad press" about places like north lakes / pacific pines / springfield lakes, is more to do with people's tastes.... many people don't like that particular style of housing. There are plenty of threads on here discussing North Lakes, Pacific Pines and Springfield.... use the search function to find out more!

cheers.
Thanks, I've read them in the past, and have been to North Lakes. I was just wondering if there was anything more substantial than personal taste that led people to class it as an area to avoid.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:53 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Originally Posted by movingaway
Just interested - what sort of bad press does north lakes get?
North Lakes has it's own forum of some sort and at one time it was getting lots of bad press for roving youth gangs but that's probably partly because it's like Little Britain or Little Johanasburg depending on who you talk to so the gang culture partly imported not of Aussie making.

Ann, don't take it personally, it was just my opinion. I only included Murrumba Downs because it is shockingly bad for public transport into central brisbane.

Door to door it'll take you somewhere between 1hr 50mins and 2hr20mins to get into the CBD (if that's where you work).
That's about the same time as the daily commute from Russell island!!
Apart from that, Murumba downs is ok !
Ha ha! as I don't use Public Transport I work on car times and Mango Hill is quite accessible to highways for car users. You are going out on a limb mentioning Lego and Northlakes in same sentence...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Originally Posted by baggies
WHAT IS YOUR VIEWS ON DECEPTION BAY
Lived in D'bay for 7 months when we first got here, nice estate but we are not new estate people, so have moved on now to up above Petrie as that is the only place we found house we liked and we have always been more country than beach people. Moreton Downs school D'Bay was nice and smallish school but the other infants and juniors much bigger.

Redcliffe also OK in my opinion but it depends what you want in life after first few months of thinking both places dead we found the hot spots... you can't get moved in Belviedere on a Sat/Sun night often can't get a meal booking.

Like has already been said prices still affordable in both D'Bay and Redcliffe as they are just taking off lots of new estates going up and prices at both places starting to rise. Also Redcliffe sea front area starting to go up market slowly but surely, there's been big changes in both areas in the last few years. Houses around Scarborough can now go for a million dollars up over as all the boaties live there who can afford mariner life.

Still think D'bay is good place to start if you want to be North of Brisbane as lot's of affordable housing round about that hasn't been priced up as much as the South Side at D'Bay, Redcliffe, Caboolture, Kallangur, Petrie, Cashmere, Joyner, Lawnton, Burpengary, and Elimbah. Bribie Island, Donnie Brook, Brighton, Sandgate, Shorncliffe, Scarborough, Margate, Woody Point and Clontarf also worth a look if you want to be next to sea.