Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:49 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to avoid in Brisbane

Jamboree Heights - my mate plays the cornet very LOUDLY

Cooler
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:42 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Cooler
If it's in tune that's not too bad.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:17 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
If it's in tune that's not too bad.

Fair point and he has won major awards in Aus also (British Open champion last year) so perhaps I do him a disservice! He teaches at Kenmore High for those in that area.

Cooler
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Cooler
i live there and never hear him. the girl next door plays violin and piano beautifully though
Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

here's my list of areas to avoid (no offence to anyone that lives in any of these....Its just my personal opinion)

reasons for avoiding these areas include : too industrial, high unemployment, bad housing, crime rate, too close to nightclub precincts, too far from jobs.

spring hill
fortitude valley
bowen hills
caboolture south
parts of morayfield
deception bay
kallangur /murumba downs
area between archerfield, wacol, goodna and larapinta
area between underwood, karawatha, down to logan lea and then east to pacific motorway
loganholme, loganlea, beenleigh
bayside islands (russell, coochie, macleay, lamb, perulpa)
salisbury
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
here's my list of areas to avoid (no offence to anyone that lives in any of these....Its just my personal opinion)

reasons for avoiding these areas include : too industrial, high unemployment, bad housing, crime rate, too close to nightclub precincts, too far from jobs.

spring hill
fortitude valley
bowen hills
caboolture south
parts of morayfield
deception bay
kallangur /murumba downs
area between underwood, karawatha, down to logan lea and then east to pacific motorway
salisbury
I worked in Fortitude Valley for a few months - took great care to be out of there fast every afternoon in winter, the 10 minute walk in the dark to the station was scarier than the Underground as one had to run the gauntlet of beggars and big issue sellers when leaving the office. Not uncommon to arrive in the morning and be offered a selection of pills between the station and the office.
In the space of 4 months I was there two girls I worked with were mugged (and assaulted) on separate occasions in broad daylight in the shopping mall in Brunswick Street, 2 dropouts managed to get into the supposedly secure govt office and were found asleep under a desk, and cameras and microwaves were stolen from the building - the police response was that it wasn't worth even looking into it, they'd have vanished into the Valley underworld.
I hated the place, nasty dark undercurrents and not a nice place to be. Give me the seediest bit of Brighton any day, I felt safer there than the Valley.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:05 pm
ABCDiamond

The Bayside Islands I assume come under the "too far from jobs" category rather than "too close to nightclub precincts"

It would be a pain having to get a ferry to and from work etc. But great if you work from home. I've heard that lots of artists live on Coochie.

Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:56 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont go to tenerriffe its full of snobs,just like me
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:46 pm

Some parts of Murumba Downs quite nice and not too far to station or city by road.

spring hill
fortitude valley
bowen hills
caboolture south
parts of morayfield
deception bay
kallangur /murumba downs
salisbury
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Dont go to tenerriffe its full of snobs,just like me
Snobs? Actually I've always wondered how much you bribed them to let you in!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:09 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Snobs? Actually I've always wondered how much you bribed them to let you in!
Bernie flicks the ash from his cuban,sips his gin and tonic and turns his nose up at the harlot from Kendron
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:27 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Bernie flicks the ash from his cuban,sips his gin and tonic and turns his nose up at the harlot from Kendron
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Two simple rules of thumb:

1. Any area with a large % of Brits is not great
2. Any suburb ending in 'Lakes' is a soulless wasteland full of welders from Wigan - see 1.

There are good schools all over Brisbane so that's not really a way to discern which suburb you should move to. Your other criteria (house price, commute) would suggest moving to somewhere further out but on a train line. Maybe around Ferny Grove area would be good.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516

2. Any suburb ending in 'Lakes' is a soulless wasteland full of welders from Wigan - see 1.

There are good schools all over Brisbane so that's not really a way to discern which suburb you should move to. Your other criteria (house price, commute) would suggest moving to somewhere further out but on a train line. Maybe around Ferny Grove area would be good.
Ferny Grove is lovely, but make sure you get a house near enough to the train station to be able to walk it - the parking is chocka pretty early on in the day.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by James516

Rule 3. although you may not want to live near Brits you need some nearby as most Aussies don't want to come out to play.

Rule 4. Any area ending in 'Rivers' is where they have used the word 'Lakes' to death and are now having to think of a different body of water to use to make the area sound attractive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.