Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Areas in Adelaide

Areas in Adelaide

Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Areas in Adelaide

Right, as we are broadening our search and have decided to contemplate Adelaide I was wondering if anyone could recommend areas, I have found some posts on here recommending places near the beach but this isnt necessarily our priority. SOOOOO;

>Dh is welder and I have been told work is in Metro so commutable for him
>Somewhere nice to raise family,
>willing to travel (30 mins? to beach - as long as have own pool)
>decent schools
>likely to have riding school close by for DD

Any ideas from you guys in Adelaide, it appears most people want to be near beach so having trouble getting any leads.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:03 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas in Adelaide

Adelaide Hills. It's a bit further to the beach than 30 mins but there is horse riding up here, nice schools, great community and larger blocks of land generally.

Lou
xx
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weasy
Adelaide Hills. It's a bit further to the beach than 30 mins but there is horse riding up here, nice schools, great community and larger blocks of land generally.

Lou
xx
thanks - its good to have some vague idea of where to look.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:14 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

don't go north of city...hills area...but also southern hills like McLaren Vale or Willunga...... there are areas that have sea and country
i don't think there is anywhere left in the world to bring up children safely......
at this moment in time you will have to pay for private schools as the schools in Adelaide are very hit and miss...(mostly miss)... sorry i am on a bit of a downer today...i also know a lot of people who have arrived from uk recently and they don't seem too happy with their lot...do you really want to come here? it's freezing tonight 5c and the houses here don't have proper heating or double glazing you will be cold.......there's also high rates of child abuse in australia and not a good system to do anything about it.......
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:28 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually our daughters state school is excellent, better than their school in the UK. We also have a slow combustion heater so I feel toasty right now.

I know lots of brits who are very happy here (and aussies) so must be who you hang out with.
By hills I mean Stirling/Bridgewater/ Crafers area. Also Cherry Gardens, Ironbank, Clarendon. There's lots of lovely areas.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by why
don't go north of city...hills area...but also southern hills like McLaren Vale or Willunga...... there are areas that have sea and country
i don't think there is anywhere left in the world to bring up children safely......
at this moment in time you will have to pay for private schools as the schools in Adelaide are very hit and miss...(mostly miss)... sorry i am on a bit of a downer today...i also know a lot of people who have arrived from uk recently and they don't seem too happy with their lot...do you really want to come here? it's freezing tonight 5c and the houses here don't have proper heating or double glazing you will be cold.......there's also high rates of child abuse in australia and not a good system to do anything about it.......
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

at this moment in time you will have to pay for private schools as the schools in Adelaide are very hit and miss...(mostly miss)... sorry i am on a bit of a downer today...i also know a lot of people who have arrived from uk recently and they don't seem too happy with their lot...do you really want to come here? it's freezing tonight 5c and the houses here don't have proper heating or double glazing you will be cold.its freexing here too - at least it is winter n OZ, its the height of summer here and the weather is pants.......there's also high rates of child abuse in australia and not a good system to do anything about it. also just like the U.K.

dont get me wrong I dont expect it to be perfect - lets face it if it was everyone would be there eh?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually our daughters state school is excellent, better than their school in the UK. We also have a slow combustion heater so I feel toasty right now.

I know lots of brits who are very happy here (and aussies) so must be who you hang out with.
By hills I mean Stirling/Bridgewater/ Crafers area. Also Cherry Gardens, Ironbank, Clarendon. There's lots of lovely areas.

Lou
xx
thank you Lou - nice constructive post - just what I was looking for! Karma given.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:35 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Lou
xx
Actually....

when someone says that you know your in trouble again for saying the truth.......is this not a forum with a view of differing and equally as important views?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Lou
xx

Agree totally Lou

My woodburner is keeping me lovely and warm (and the whole house, which is a double brick house). My daughters school is fantastic.

I also live in the Northern Suburbs, amongst all the murderers and criminals (apparantly), who happen to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:38 am
Look at moi!!!

Actually...........

I didn't say you were in trouble or that your comment wasn't true for you. I just wanted the OP to know that's not how we all see it so yes a forum for differing and equally as important views - mine included.

Originally Posted by why
Actually....

when someone says that you know your in trouble again for saying the truth.......is this not a forum with a view of differing and equally as important views?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:43 am
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
Agree totally Lou

My woodburner is keeping me lovely and warm (and the whole house, which is a double brick house). My daughters school is fantastic.

I also live in the Northern Suburbs, amongst all the murderers and criminals (apparantly), who happen to be some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Actually...woodburner going... kids went to good public school...huge house...nice family... good life etc.....but as i said before it isn't me...it's the newbies...and have to deal with child abuse at work...so don't be mean to me when i am having a bad day.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
Actually...woodburner going... kids went to good public school...huge house...nice family... good life etc.....but as i said before it isn't me...it's the newbies...and have to deal with child abuse at work...so don't be mean to me when i am having a bad day.

I wasn't intending to be mean, just saying how it is for me that's all. There are some good schools here and there are some nice area's in the North.

There are also some nutters about who do awful things to their kids, there are people who can't afford to eat some days, there are places a lot better, and a lot worse than wherever you are - such is life

Oh and I haven't got a huge house, I can't afford one
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
I wasn't intending to be mean, just saying how it is for me that's all. There are some good schools here and there are some nice area's in the North.

There are also some nutters about who do awful things to their kids, there are people who can't afford to eat some days, there are places a lot better, and a lot worse than wherever you are - such is life

Oh and I haven't got a huge house, I can't afford one
Thanks everyone, all comments taken aboard lol.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:28 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We are in Golden Grove, North East of Adelaide, and we love it!! Loads to do for the kids, good schools, 30 mins from the beach, 10 mins from the Hills, nice houses covering all budgets, good shops, good transport links into the city, great people, (a few bitchy two faced Poms, seems jealousy is world wide, but steer clear of them and you are on a winner!!)

It is a little chilly at night at the moment, but as said before my warm air heating is fab, sitting in a t-shirt at the mo very warm indeed and if I do get a little chilly I have a lovely spa outside at 38 degrees so that can warm me up nicely!!

As for child abuse, very strong statement to make and if you are dealing with it within a working environment and cant handle it then.... erm leave, rather than have a go at people on a site about it???
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:41 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We are in Golden Grove, North East of Adelaide, and we love it!! Loads to do for the kids, good schools, 30 mins from the beach, 10 mins from the Hills, nice houses covering all budgets, good shops, good transport links into the city, great people, (a few bitchy two faced Poms, seems jealousy is world wide, but steer clear of them and you are on a winner!!)

It is a little chilly at night at the moment, but as said before my warm air heating is fab, sitting in a t-shirt at the mo very warm indeed and if I do get a little chilly I have a lovely spa outside at 38 degrees so that can warm me up nicely!!

As for child abuse, very strong statement to make and if you are dealing with it within a working environment and cant handle it then.... erm leave, rather than have a go at people on a site about it???
see being mean again just because i make a neg comment about australia.....you are now...being personal.....you have indeed offended me.....

back to areas in adelaide....best to come over and take a good look around....the reason why people like it by the sea (I am one of these) a nice breeze in the summer.... being near the coast helps keep the temp warmer in winter and cooler in summer.....i love the sound of the sea and because of the geography of adelaide it has the best sunsets over the sea. this time of the year the hills are green and they remind me of Dorset (where i come from)
it's a great place indeed but as i said before the whole world seems to be going down hill when it comes to morality.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.