Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Architecture situation in Aus right now?

Architecture situation in Aus right now?

Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Architecture situation in Aus right now?

Hi,
I've had a bit of a search around on the site but most of the threads are a little out of date to be useful for me.
Could anyone working in Architecture in Aus give me a steer on how the industry is doing right now? (I'm a technologist/ Job running experience).
I've got both Brit and NZ passports and I'm looking for work in the UK but it's pretty dire there so am thinking about pulling the pin and heading back downunder.
Got family in NZ and Aus, so that is a bit of a draw now too.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
P.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:20 pm

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecture situation in Aus right now?

Hi

I work in the commercial flooring industry in Queensland and my job is to deal with Architects on a daily basis.
In the first half of last year alot of Architect companies got rid of a few of their staff . Due to impeding GFC alot of projects were put on the shelf but when it did not turn up they had to remploy alot of staff and for the last 6 months Architects have been running a flat out, all of them with pretty much too much work than they can deal with
There are tends flying all over the place in Qld at the moment

This is the state at the moment in Brisbane. Don't know about Sydney or Melbourne
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
Hi,
I've had a bit of a search around on the site but most of the threads are a little out of date to be useful for me.
Could anyone working in Architecture in Aus give me a steer on how the industry is doing right now? (I'm a technologist/ Job running experience).
I've got both Brit and NZ passports and I'm looking for work in the UK but it's pretty dire there so am thinking about pulling the pin and heading back downunder.
Got family in NZ and Aus, so that is a bit of a draw now too.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
P.
I worked for a large independant architectural practice in Sydney until the middle of last year when they (and a number of other companies) started laying people off or asking them to take unpaid leave until things picked up. They have taken a few people back on recently, but from what I hear things are still pretty slow and companies are fighting for contracts.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

*Are* there any architects in Australia?

Almost all the buildings and McMansions "designed" (my quotes) here in the last half century seem to have been draw by a year three student who has access to a ruler and a list of unpleasant ratios!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:20 am

aliread is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
*Are* there any architects in Australia?

Almost all the buildings and McMansions "designed" (my quotes) here in the last half century seem to have been draw by a year three student who has access to a ruler and a list of unpleasant ratios!
Well there's more than 600 of them in SE QLd alone
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliread
Well there's more than 600 of them in SE QLd alone
I rest my case.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, thanks for all the replies. (aliread especially good!) (wol.... nothin' I 'aint already heard before, but thanks for da input!)
I've got a brother who lives in Melbourne, not sure if that is a draw or not!
I'm thinking I'll have to get some phone numbers and ring a few practices then.
Cheers Guy's.
P.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

s1mon, i see you are heading back to the uk. are you intending to get an architectural job? are you leaving aus because of no work?
Cheers,
P.