Reload this Page >

Architecture - Gold Coast

Architecture - Gold Coast

Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Architecture - Gold Coast

Greetings...

These might seem like bizaar questions...

I would like to study whilst in Australia (I am in Australia on a defacto visa). I have a keen interest in Architecture. (my father was a draughtsman, not the same I know, but that is where the interest started) I know that Architecture itself is a very demanding profession and I would like to discover more before applying to study. I am 25, and wanting to study next year, so I would be a mature student, would this work in my favour? I started travelling immediately after highschool, and I lived in England for a long time. I believe that it is time to knuckle down and get into a serious career, however I dont want to go leaping into it without having done a bit more research...

Is it unheard of to work for a firm (even for free) to see how it runs and what to expect? how would I approach companies with regard to this? Does anyone know of any companies on the Gold Coast who are willing to do this?

Does anyone recommend a place to study on the Gold Coast?

Thank you...
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Architecture - Gold Coast

Hi to be a qualified Architect takes several years you need a Degree, then further approx 2 years of Uni qualifications.
Its a lot of hard work and demanding course,making models,design work, theory,exams.
Are you good with computers, you would need to learn Autocad. Architecture today is very computer orientated.

Being a mature student would not hold you back. But for a degree in Architecture the entrance requirements is usually high. However as a mature student your best contacting courses direct.

TAFE here does draughting/Autocad courses. But for a proper Architect you will need Uni.

You may be able to get voluntary work. However if you have some drafting or Autocad skills first it would be easier.

Gems
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

This place back in the UK does Autocad distance learning. Might be useful if you need to keep working while training.

http://www.motherwell.ac.uk/distance..._Learning.aspx

Gems
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:34 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

I would say that you would struggle finding a firm on the Gold Coast hiring currently and would be better looking towards Brisbane. The architect firm that I work for, still hire occasionaly but there are a lot of firms who are finding the down turn difficult. We also seem to hire a lot of 'admin' staff who would like to study architecture in the future, but earn money in the meantime whilst seeing what the office/architecture environment is like.

Architecture is a 7 year degree programme, so requires a lot of dedication and money. Other avenues would be Architectural technologist or technician roles and 3-4 years course durations otherwise competition is fierce. Many students work at my company two or three days a week depending on the year they are in and work loads.

Also, I would say that AutoCAD, its being suggested, will become a bit of a dinosaur and Revit is looking more likely to take over within the architecture field. AutoCAD is undoubtly extremely useful but for future workplace marketability Revit skills are a must.

I was a mature student and started my degree at the age of 32 years. I didnt find this prohibitive at all and now enjoy a worthwhile career.

Good luck with your endevours.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

http://www.griffith.edu.au/environme...e/architecture
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
I agree with the Revit suggestion, but my suggestion for autocad is because she is more likely to get her hands on a cheap copy of this to play around with prior to Uni. Also available short courses in it, if she wants to try something now.

Here is list of Uni Architecture courses and info on Architecture career in Oz.

http://www.architecture.com.au/i-cms...22.53.640.1274
Old Jun 9th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Well, firstly, thank you for moving this to the right board. I very cleverly posted it in the wrong place.... good start....

Thanks for the replies!! it is VERY motivating to hear that others have completed huge courses like this as mature students. Rather encouraging...

I have a little AutoCAD experience, my father used to do his projects with it and he showed me bits and pieces... Revit is one that I've not heard of. Thanks for the tip.

I realise that it is a very demanding course and I am confident that it is something that I would like to do. I will download contact numbers for some local firms and get some more opinions on the matter. I have left myself at least 6 months to research and learn more.

Any books you'd suggest for reading?

Last edited by deedee_b; Jun 9th 2009 at 6:46 am. Reason: Unrelated Quote
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:20 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE Revit is one that I've not heard of. Thanks for the tip. [/QUOTE]

Which is why I mentioned it - as its definitely the way architecture is going. I personally cant use Revit and am an AutoCAD using dinosaur!

I remember writing to firms back in my study days (UK) looking for work experience, without any luck. I didn't start getting any offers until I said that I would work for free/expenses only, then I got quite a few! I was lucky that I ended up working with a lovely bunch of colleagues and eventually ended up working for them full time when I completed my studies.

Work experience or just helping out in an architects office will be better than any books you could read on the subject. I always got pleasure from seeing large A1 and A0 plans whilst folding them - it really is the best way to see whether its a career for you.

As I said before - good luck but you sound like you know where your heading.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

if you in Syd I could possibly introduce you to an influential person, who happens to be my lovely drinking neighbour partner... otherwise architecture speak goes past my right shoulder (I dont duck it as I dont really care for it..giggle, hence bottles of wine with the neighbour discussing how better my engineering job is to his, although he could be my grandad!!) let me know if you serious (note serious note please).
Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Another good tip thank you. I did consider that I'd get more responses doing it free. I dont mind doing it for free, it's for my benefit anyway. I only start work at three in the afternoon most days, so I have a few hours spare before going in.

I'm really serious about this, I'm tired of doing stupid jobs that dont challenge me, I'm brighter than the job I'm doing at the moment, I enjoy it, but it's much like ground-hog day.

Thanks sharonm5, not in Sydney though, I could think of nothing better than discussing this over a few bottles of wine...

Another question, which is a better method of approach... a well written letter with a CV attached? or a telephonic approach?? Who would I ask to speak to? (most firms are really odd about letting calls through from job hunters - especially now that people are getting more aggressive with their approaches...) ???

I dont want to send a CV through... I kind of think of this as a clean slate, I'm not embarrassed by the work I've done before, but I don't want it to label me, as such. Does it matter?

ta - B
Old Jun 9th 2009, 12:06 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

A letter would be better and I wouldn't worry about attaching a CV at this stage. It is better though to address it to 'someone'. Sometimes I can find out the name of a HR person on the net(if the company have a website) but if you cant find out about who the HR person is, a good idea is to telephone the company and just say that you would like to send in a letter/resume and who to address it to.

I just sent a letter outlining that I was really interested in studying and finding out more about Architecture/studio/office life and said that I would be happy to do anything within the office. I had a period of 40 weeks to offer for free/expenses only. Luckily, as I said before, this got a few companies interested. I went for two interviews and both offered to pay me the minimum wage, so it worked out well for me.

There are also a couple of architectural employment agencies in Brisbane who you could try telephoning to enquire about some office experience. - just another thought.

Just another note - if you offering your services for free/expenses, you could say in your letter the hours/days that you would be available if you have to fit it in with other employment etc.

Last edited by Spellbound; Jun 9th 2009 at 12:10 pm. Reason: Added further note!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you! Very excited about all this... Will keep you updated as to how I go!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

Griffith Uni Gold Coast campus is starting a brand new architecture degree from next year. You might want to contact them for admission details.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomcruise
Griffith Uni Gold Coast campus is starting a brand new architecture degree from next year. You might want to contact them for admission details.
Thanks tomcruise, I saw that advertised the other day, I have been onto the website. It looks really good. I am a bit sceptical though because it is new, the architecture staff would not have taught there before, do you think I'm being silly? I think that they might be adjusting and adapting to a new workplace whilst trying to teach this new degree....