Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aracnaphobia :scared:

aracnaphobia :scared:

Old Oct 17th 2004, 12:03 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default aracnaphobia :scared:

Please can anyone try to reassure my partner about the spiders in Auss. We're off to the gold coast next April time, and my partner just keeps worrying about spiders. Is it really that bad or what? She really needs a bit of encouragement on this one, thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 12:12 am
wombat42

Default Re: aracnaphobia :scared:

Originally Posted by elksa
Please can anyone try to reassure my partner about the spiders in Auss. We're off to the gold coast next April time, and my partner just keeps worrying about spiders. Is it really that bad or what? She really needs a bit of encouragement on this one, thanks.
Don't worry, after you have encounted the man eating crocodiles, the deadly
snakes, the great white sharks, and the killer jellyfish,
Spiders will be the least of your fears. :scared: :scared:

Last edited by wombat42; Oct 17th 2004 at 12:15 am.

Old Oct 17th 2004, 12:20 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by wombat42
Don't worry, after you have encounted the man eating crocodiles, the deadly
snakes, the great white sharks, and the killer jellyfish,
Spiders will be the least of your fears. :scared: :scared:
Thanks for the reply wombat but I don't think I'll be relaying your reassuring reply to the Mrs!!! Somethings telling this wasn't the type of reply she was hoping for!!!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 1:09 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell the Mrs, but if you do a search on spiders, there are some amazing pictures on previous threads...and as Trevglass has just posted, she also needs to beware of flying snakes ..... and drop-bears
Old Oct 17th 2004, 2:00 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sypathise with your wife , a lot of us arachnophobes worry about this, we're in Brisbane and in 8 months I've seen about 5 spiders, only 1 of these was in the house! I am fairly obsessional about spraying, but it does seem to work.
The other thing is that you get desensitised fairly quickly, I dont ever think about spiders now.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 3:40 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been aracnophobic for most of my life and I've practically been living among spiders every Summer since I was born, since I come from Sardinia and I used to spend Summers at my grand-parents' house in the country.

Maybe I'm just masochistic, but regardless of spiders, I love Sardinia, and regardless of spiders, I've decided to move to Australia !

Of course, I'm planning to reduce my possible close encounters with the spider kind to the minimum, therefore I figure I'll live in a flat/apartment/unit, where I hope spiders won't take the bother to visit !
Old Oct 17th 2004, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

netandneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. I must admit to being terrified of spiders too. However, myself and my Husband did recently spend 3 weeks over in Oz, travelling around and it was only the fact that I searched every nook and cranny, that I saw any spiders at all, and they were in trees or on plants outside, and they were not any of the harmful ones that I have read about. When we do eventually get out there, I am sure that I will still be checking everywhere and tapping my shoes out, though, just to be on the safe side! Guess it's something you have to be aware of, but I wouldn't let it stop us moving out there (til I encounter a biggy one!!!!! :scared: ha ha).
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't tell the Mrs, but if you do a search on spiders, there are some amazing pictures on previous threads...and as Trevglass has just posted, she also needs to beware of flying snakes ..... and drop-bears
you forgot wayward motorists...they kill more people in a day in Oz than are killed by spiders in a whole year, maybe even 5 years!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:21 pm
Badge

I sometimes wonder if these arachnophobes are for real. I mean diagnosed aracnophobes, or just 'I don't care much for spiders'. There must be thousands in Aus and they do OK. I have seen 2 spiders in my house(s) in almost 1 year - both on contiguous days as autumn set in. Funny thing is, if a spider is found, I'm pushing to the front of the queue to see it.

I don't care much for steak and kidney pie, but I will sit next to someone eating it.

She'll be OK. Watch out for sunburn, hoons and cars as Paw says.

BM

Old Oct 17th 2004, 7:50 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Drop Bears, Hav'nt heard that one for years

PJ
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:29 pm
Cheeky

Hi Badge!

Just a thought but I dont like spiders either, dont know why but I just dont like em!! :scared:

I take your point about you not liking steak and kidney pie, just one thing though......................

Steak and kidney pie doesnt have 8 legs and run very fast!!!!!!!! :scared:

BTW I know I am going to have to 'get over it' and I will.....in time!!

Regards, Cheeky!!

Originally Posted by Badge
I sometimes wonder if these arachnophobes are for real. I mean diagnosed aracnophobes, or just 'I don't care much for spiders'. There must be thousands in Aus and they do OK. I have seen 2 spiders in my house(s) in almost 1 year - both on contiguous days as autumn set in. Funny thing is, if a spider is found, I'm pushing to the front of the queue to see it.

I don't care much for steak and kidney pie, but I will sit next to someone eating it.

She'll be OK. Watch out for sunburn, hoons and cars as Paw says.

BM

Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:11 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

There is 20 million people here that survive these killer spiders....
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:34 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
you forgot wayward motorists...they kill more people in a day in Oz than are killed by spiders in a whole year, maybe even 5 years!
Actually no ones been killed by a spider bite in Australia since the 1950's,
while Bee stings kill 2 people a year. l have live in OZ for 31 years and have been bitten or stung by Bees twice but never biten by a spider.
Most of the spiders you come across are'nt venomous, even if on the freak chance you were bitten by a venomous spider, their venom is designed to kill other insects and is unlikely to kill a human.

Last edited by aussie73; Oct 17th 2004 at 9:42 pm.

Old Oct 17th 2004, 10:03 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

Originally Posted by aussie73
Actually no ones been killed by a spider bite in Australia since the 1950's,
while Bee stings kill 2 people a year. l have live in OZ for 31 years and have been bitten or stung by Bees twice but never biten by a spider.
Most of the spiders you come across are'nt venomous, even if on the freak chance you were bitten by a venomous spider, their venom is designed to kill other insects and is unlikely to kill a human.
hi everyone, this is elksa,s partner,Sharon. would like to thank u for making me feel a bit more at ease about these little buggers, (well most of you anyway!!!!) I guess I'm goona have to try and get over this one, as nothing will stop me from joining the girls drinking club!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I did my annual surface spray on/under the garden furniture this weekend and when I'd finished I found 2 huge redbacks, one under the pool slide and one under the barbecue.

There were less this year though, probably because of last years surface spray. Last year, you should have seen the redbacks under the outside furniture and the kids chairs and table - loads of them!

Basically you are going to get spiders in Australia, some can harm you, some might even kill you (funnel web) but few people get bitten.

Your partner could try hypnosis, that cured my fear of flying or you could move to NZ.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.