Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aracnaphobia :scared:

aracnaphobia :scared:

Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: aracnaphobia :scared:

Huntsmen and most spiders are not to be feared. . All homes that I have been in Brisbane have had Huntsmen during the summer months . But I've never picked one up by the bare hand . They generally run away from my hand if I put my hand next to them.

Over the weekend, I decided to try and get one to run onto my hand to hold it . We have a large one on the wall in the laundry. So, I basically put my hand right next to it and tried to pick it up .. he runs away.. I decide to do it again while hubby is standing next to me saying " you idiot" , you're the type to get necrosis from a bite "( I have some contact allergies , like certain grasses can annoy me , mozzie, bites , ants etc etc) .. I had necrosis on my leg a few years back from a fishing accident which I was hospitalised for a month , two ops to cut out the dead tissue, and skin graft . Anyway my answer was.. all it is going to do, is just make me a tiny bit ill at the worst.. ie sick, and painful bite. No worries , he ain't going to kill me. I think they are beautiful creatures.

Anyway this huntsmen I provoked, and was trying to pick up. he kept moving out of my way, I could not get him to basically stay there, and I could not get him on my hand no matter how hard I tried.

Wolf spiders.. heaps of them where we live . These are a b*gger to catch, fast moving. I always pick these up to chuck outside by the glass method. These spiders again are non aggressive, not the ones we have here with us anyway, they stay out of my way. I only chuck these out because these are linked to necrosis, and apparently I have read can kill animals ( such as a large Labrador).

Red backs.. they usually are not a prob at all, they usually are in their messy webs. I kill these.- the only spider that I kill, because of where they tend to be.

I can't understand people who don't have spiders in Brisbane. Are these same people who don't see them living in a built up suburb area? Because every home I've been in there are plenty of them about.

I'll get a huntsman to walk on my hand if it kills me one of these days ( which he won't). .

Spiders are nothing to be scared of.. you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. Most bites occur by putting your hand etc on one, they bite humans in defence ( funnel web excluded from this).

It depends where you will be living when it comes to a lot of spiders.. live next to bush, and you get lots of them coming inside. Live in a built up area , and spray your chemicals , and you just get the odd one or two. Redbacks are everywhere. They now think they were introduced many years ago ( widow) coming in by the ships , and developed over time into the red back. Aborigines never drew pictures of them, or stories of them , that's why some scientists think it is a new species.

It's not spiders you need to fear. Personally speaking I'm more afraid of guns and nutters , and the police who are armed etc etc - ie nutters who carry a killing machine

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 18th 2004 at 3:15 am.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:27 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elksa
Please can anyone try to reassure my partner about the spiders in Auss. We're off to the gold coast next April time, and my partner just keeps worrying about spiders. Is it really that bad or what? She really needs a bit of encouragement on this one, thanks.

In 8 months we have had 1 baby huntsman in the house which we left alone and he went away. We have loads of daddy long legs but I was used to them from the UK and have been told if you have them they keep the nasty spiders away. Hence they get left alone too.

Other than that I hardly see any. A few when gardening but nothing more than the size of a house spider in the UK. I wear gardening gloves just in case I come into contact with one.

Jo
Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Cant understand the worry about spiders, nobodies died of a spider bite in decades! Your more likely to die in the bath! true 277 australians drowned last year, most at the beach but some in the bath.

Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri

Spiders are nothing to be scared of.. you leave them alone, they will leave
It's not spiders you need to fear. Personally speaking I'm more afraid of guns and nutters , and the police who are armed etc etc - ie nutters who carry a killing machine

cheers

Could you be a bit more positive please Miss Ceri you know we dont have nutters here
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:51 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Could you be a bit more positive please Miss Ceri you know we dont have nutters here
ok , I's be more worried about the very nice sane people who shoot for fun.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:49 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ceri
ok , I's be more worried about the very nice sane people who shoot for fun.

You mean the Victorian Police force?
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:52 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

What a lot of you non arachnophobic people dont seem to understand, is that its not necessarily whether or not a spider is poisonous or not that's scary. What it is is the eight furry wobbly legs, the 8 eyes, the nasty way they have of being where you least expect them to be, the fact that you can't predict what they're going to do next, and if you take your eyes off them for a second they vanish to god knows where! Its like people who are terrified of mice! They're harmless - but its just the concept of the creature. Personally I couldnt care if it was a redback or a daddy long legs - I'm terrified of them all the same.

The only thing I can say to maybe put your missus' mind at ease is that as much of an arachnophobe as I am, seeing these spiders often (which I have - living near the bush) and seeing how blase everyone else is around them, has numbed me a bit. I dont find them as scary as I did in the UK.

All the horror stories you hear make it sound a lot worse than it really is, and once you get here you will find yourself getting braver and braver around them, and you'll be really proud of yourself.

Does this help any?

W,
Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:22 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

....and for those occasions that you do come across one, these are great www.spidercatcher.com.au

I ought to be on commission for the amount of times I've posted that on here but they work, for spiders,cockroaches or any other crawly horrid things!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 12:30 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Can anyone suggest a really good book on insects including spiders, I've been searching for a decent one as I'm a nervous wreck not knowing what will bite me. I've got a huge daddy long legs under the kitchen work top, but he's having fun eating the other bugs in the house so there he will stay.
Jenny
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:01 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

"What it is is the eight furry wobbly legs, the 8 eyes, the nasty way they have of being where you least expect them to be, the fact that you can't predict what they're going to do next, and if you take your eyes off them for a second they vanish to god knows where!"

Exactly, Wanderlust!!! And the way those daddy long legs move!!! Nasty little bouncing things! :scared:
You know, I even manage to tolerate them... as long as they are microscopical and. do. NOT. move!!!

Jenny: brilliant! I think I'll get myself one of those, if/when I get Downunder!
Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

JoGrist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I agree with Wanderlust if you have a fear of spiders it is not just the biting ones it is spiders in general. I have a real fear of spiders, probably more so in the UK than here.

Here is a few tips that may help. I also had hypnotherapy which didn't get rid of the fear, but took the edge off the fear - in other words I didn't head for high ground screaming everytime I saw one that was larger than a pin head. I can tollerate them, as for picking one up and putting it outside - even with a glass, is still one step too far.

Now Australia is far better equiped for those of us who fear spiders. They have really great sprays - firstly there are those that stop them coming in the first place and if you keep up with that it is really good, not had anything bigger in the house larger than a bottle top. The second is that they have an instant kill spray which I always have handy - inside and out. So should I see one I can blast it without any fear of it not dieing and running away.

We have been in Brisbane since Feb this year and seen two red backs, well my husband found them, both of which were in the rental property which had not been occupied for a while and one was in the letter box (outside) and the other in the rear door of the garage which didn't look like it had been opened it years. Again with a few sprays all were gone.

Please do not worry it is a great place and spiders can be delt with. Get yourself a can of Mortene and go to war!!!

Hope this helps
Jo

www.gristinternational.com
Old Oct 19th 2004, 6:27 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoGrist
Hi I agree with Wanderlust if you have a fear of spiders it is not just the biting ones it is spiders in general. I have a real fear of spiders, probably more so in the UK than here.

Here is a few tips that may help. I also had hypnotherapy which didn't get rid of the fear, but took the edge off the fear - in other words I didn't head for high ground screaming everytime I saw one that was larger than a pin head. I can tollerate them, as for picking one up and putting it outside - even with a glass, is still one step too far.

Now Australia is far better equiped for those of us who fear spiders. They have really great sprays - firstly there are those that stop them coming in the first place and if you keep up with that it is really good, not had anything bigger in the house larger than a bottle top. The second is that they have an instant kill spray which I always have handy - inside and out. So should I see one I can blast it without any fear of it not dieing and running away.

We have been in Brisbane since Feb this year and seen two red backs, well my husband found them, both of which were in the rental property which had not been occupied for a while and one was in the letter box (outside) and the other in the rear door of the garage which didn't look like it had been opened it years. Again with a few sprays all were gone.

Please do not worry it is a great place and spiders can be delt with. Get yourself a can of Mortene and go to war!!!

Hope this helps
Jo

www.gristinternational.com
Thanks everyone for the brill advice and kinda putting my mind at rest.

I will get a killer can

My husband can use the humane trap thingy!!! Have already bookmarked the website for when I actually get to Oz!

Has anyone heard of things you plug in that emit a high pitched noise and stop spiders coming in the house? My husband keeps assuring me there are such things but I think he is lying to get me to go to Brisbane.

I am not scared about being killed by a spider I just don't like their quick movements and the idea of them being in my shoes/ bed/ visor mirror in the car etc. Think I will book one of those spider phobia sessions in an Australian zoo where you actually handle them to get over your fear.

Lynn
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:05 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lynnlovessun]Thanks everyone for the brill advice and kinda putting my mind at rest.

I will get a killer can

My husband can use the humane trap thingy!!! Have already bookmarked the website for when I actually get to Oz!

Has anyone heard of things you plug in that emit a high pitched noise and stop spiders coming in the house? My husband keeps assuring me there are such things but I think he is lying to get me to go to Brisbane.

I have a plug in thing for mice and rats from the UK, havn't seen one for insects though.
Jenny