April Fool

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:29 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default April Fool

Anyone spotted the April Fool's stories in the press yet? I reckon this is the one from The Independent:

Tum-ti tum-ti tum-ti tum... kerrang. Ambridge in uproar over Eno's 'new-wave' theme tune
By David Lister, Arts Editor
01 April 2004

The Archers, radio's longest running soap opera, is to have a new theme tune composed by the avant-garde rock musician Brian Eno.

The decision, authorised by Helen Boaden, the controller of BBC Radio 4, will shock devotees of the hugely popular programme, but it will delight contemporary composers who feel cutting-edge, modernist music is all too rarely heard on popular programmes.

Eno, once a member of the influential rock group Roxy Music, is a lifelong Archers fan, and is known to have discussed events in Ambridge with Roxy Music's singer, Bryan Ferry, backstage during tours in the Seventies. Eno, who has also worked with David Bowie, was asked by Vanessa Whitburn, editor of The Archers, to compose a new theme, which would have the feel of "club music".

He agreed immediately, and spent a day in the studio, in effect remixing the much-loved signature tune, "Barwick Green", written in 1924 by the composer Arthur Wood.

The result, which will be heard by listeners for the first time next week, clearly uses the original theme as its point of reference, as a token of Eno's affection for the programme. But a radical addition is his trademark synthesiser to a pulsating beat of electronic drums. And while instantly recognisable, the tune is played at a discernibly faster tempo than that to which listeners are accustomed. Eno told The Independent last night: "The current theme tune is reactionary and exclusionary. It fails totally to address the concerns of young people."

His new music has already been tested privately on leading members of the Archers cast. Although initially sceptical, Trevor Harrison, who plays Eddie Grundy, said his character would prefer a country and western version, but the actor himself felt it would attract more listeners. "I can see it in the charts," he said. "I can see people dancing to it. Having a great fan of the programme writing the tune means it comes from the heart."
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Our local radio station are saying that Ian Thorpe has defected and joined the UK swimming team. I am assuming this is an April Fool
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:33 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Our local radio station are saying that Ian Thorpe has defected and joined the UK swimming team. I am assuming this is an April Fool
Triple M were running with the story that the olympic swimming, beach volleyball and equestrian events were going to be moved to Sysdney as the Athens areas were not ready. Half the presenters were fooled as well.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
The UK have a swimming team? Or is that an April fool too?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Just spotted the SMH April Fool's Day story

L-plates for yum cha carts
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:33 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Just spotted the SMH April Fool's Day story

L-plates for yum cha carts
Daily Mail has a picture of the Queen outside William Hill with a copy of the Racing Post in one hand and the leads of her corgis in the other.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

..tis my birthday as well....and my sons!!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

---Halifax--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish the rise of passmark for skilled ind. was a April fool joke too! A lot of people are going to be very dissappointed!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: April Fool

Originally posted by jayr
Anyone spotted the April Fool's stories in the press yet? I reckon this is the one from The Independent:

Tum-ti tum-ti tum-ti tum... kerrang. Ambridge in uproar over Eno's 'new-wave' theme tune
By David Lister, Arts Editor
01 April 2004

The Archers, radio's longest running soap opera, is to have a new theme tune composed by the avant-garde rock musician Brian Eno.

The decision, authorised by Helen Boaden, the controller of BBC Radio 4, will shock devotees of the hugely popular programme, but it will delight contemporary composers who feel cutting-edge, modernist music is all too rarely heard on popular programmes.

Eno, once a member of the influential rock group Roxy Music, is a lifelong Archers fan, and is known to have discussed events in Ambridge with Roxy Music's singer, Bryan Ferry, backstage during tours in the Seventies. Eno, who has also worked with David Bowie, was asked by Vanessa Whitburn, editor of The Archers, to compose a new theme, which would have the feel of "club music".

He agreed immediately, and spent a day in the studio, in effect remixing the much-loved signature tune, "Barwick Green", written in 1924 by the composer Arthur Wood.

The result, which will be heard by listeners for the first time next week, clearly uses the original theme as its point of reference, as a token of Eno's affection for the programme. But a radical addition is his trademark synthesiser to a pulsating beat of electronic drums. And while instantly recognisable, the tune is played at a discernibly faster tempo than that to which listeners are accustomed. Eno told The Independent last night: "The current theme tune is reactionary and exclusionary. It fails totally to address the concerns of young people."

His new music has already been tested privately on leading members of the Archers cast. Although initially sceptical, Trevor Harrison, who plays Eddie Grundy, said his character would prefer a country and western version, but the actor himself felt it would attract more listeners. "I can see it in the charts," he said. "I can see people dancing to it. Having a great fan of the programme writing the tune means it comes from the heart."
Thing is - they had this on the Today programme this morning on Radio 4, too (and played the new theme - sounded like the way they revamped the Blue Peter tune in the '80s if anyone remembers that, crossed with the old Doctor Who theme ha ha). Now I'm confused - is it an april fool or not if it's repeated in more than one publication?!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try this one.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncountie...forecast.shtml
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this bit

Outlook for Friday:
Severe freezing conditions. Major risk of frostbite in the nether regions.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that Oz and Uk seem to do more 'big' April fools jokes than here, it seems. Great btw!

Here, it's just mostly kids and stuff.

BUT, I've only now figured out, that an news item I read on my university's intranet website is most probably a joke (I'm very gullible, so I still think there's a tiny chance it could be true)

The story is(roughly translated...):

The insitituut FM (my insitituut) is the first at **** university to have a pet. The 3 year old cat, named Flexie, has her home in the flexible working places (the 'lecturers' have a flex work place). The idea is that Flexie keeps the room clear of mice, en will contribute to a more homely workatmosphere.

And I did think, this morning, hmmm, strange that they have a problem with mice in such a new, modern building, on the 2nd floor!

Ok, now I'm even more convinced! There is NO way they could have mice!! oops

Last edited by Simone; Apr 1st 2004 at 12:37 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 4:06 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

Lorraine Kelly's morning show was spouting on about this new diet water you can get from the tap in some areas. So called negatively charged water that draws the calories out when being passed in the dunny.

Obviously an April Fool's prank, but I never watched it long enough for them to say "Ahaaa....got ya!".
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone see Kochy's rug!? (on Channel 7 breakfast show)

I completely forgot it was 1 April when I saw it. I just couldn't believe that Mel and the newsreader weren't pi55ing themselves.