Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Approximate costs of emigrating?

Approximate costs of emigrating?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

baylissboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Approximate costs of emigrating?

Sorry about this, i know this question must have been asked many times, but i'm new here!!

I'm in the very early stages of emigrating, or at least thinking of emigrating to Australia. I'm sure many of you have done it recently, so here goes!!

Could anybody give me an estimate of the costs involved, including independant skilled visa, medicals, police checks, skills assesments, transport costs (furniture & two expensive motorcycles), import taxes & re-registering of motorcycles etc?

I know that question is closely related to "how long is a piece of string", but any help would be greatfully received.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Approximate costs of emigrating?

I'd pencil in 2000 pounds for getting yourself here. That's based on 1200 for the visa and then 800 for the medicals, skills assessment & police check. A very very rough figure though.

Depends how much stuff you have to bring over. Some people have mentioned a few thousand pounds for a container.

Can't help for the costs of re-registering motorbikes. Sorry
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

It varys for everyone & there different circumstances. I would contact an agent & start tallying up the costs that way.

I can tell you that a piece of string is twice as long from the middle to the end though!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

skills assessment £1000 (vettasses plumber)
visa application £1000 (175 skilled independant)
Meds £800 2 adults 1 child
Flights for 3 £1800 as above
shiping boxs x 12 £400
bits and bobs £1000 taxi to airport and buying stuff because the wife found out we had 40 kilos each and decided to start spending arghhhhh!
and it keeps mounting
i rekon we will wont be far of £10,000 before we land, then you have to buy a car, sort out schools , rentals, any furniture, anyway good luck, we rekon its worth every penny.

Last edited by johnknight001; Aug 6th 2009 at 8:11 am. Reason: typing
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Family of 5 (one under aged 1), 40ft container, one visa since the others have Aus passports, I woukld say all in we spent about £12-14,000. And that's one of the cheapest visa's there are.

£6.5k on shipping
£3.5k on flights
Plus all the other stuff

Then you have the money you need to get started here...
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Weve gone for a 20ft container, which will hold all our 3 bed house & a couple of mountain bikes (with abit of room to spare). Had 6 different quotes & the best we can get is £3100-£3250. then youve got insurance on top at 2.5-3.5% of your total value of goods. & also australian customs (aquis) which we have been told wont be more than £300,(unless they need to fumigate which they will charge you).

regards Ian
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Cost for us for far are not cheap:

$450 AUD for skills assessment
$2100 AUD for visa application
£400 GBP for medicals
£70 GBP for police checks
£1200 GBP for flights
£7500 GBP for shipping household belongings and car including insurance in a 40ft sole us container (plus there will be a large sum of tax/customs charges on top of that for the car - in the regiuon of £8-10k GBP)
$1400 AUD for temporary accommodation on arrival
$650 AUD for initial car hire on arrival
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Cost for us for far are not cheap:

$450 AUD for skills assessment
$2100 AUD for visa application
£400 GBP for medicals
£70 GBP for police checks
£1200 GBP for flights
£7500 GBP for shipping household belongings and car including insurance in a 40ft sole us container (plus there will be a large sum of tax/customs charges on top of that for the car - in the regiuon of £8-10k GBP)
$1400 AUD for temporary accommodation on arrival
$650 AUD for initial car hire on arrival
Just curious but what sort of car are you bringing and why is it 8 grand UK money?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

It's a Lotus and it's that much because of the value of the car - over the LCT threshold, so more to pay.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

We are a 3 member family (wife, 2yo son, myself) currently living in the Middle East. Here are our expenses (numbers are rounded):

AUD 2,000 - visa application fees class 176
AUD 400 - IELTS fees for me and wife
AUD 400 - skill assessment by ICAA fast track
AUD 200 - medicals in a cheaper 3rd country
AUD 250 - courier costs for state sponsorship, PCC, medicals
AUD 200 - document certification, paper, photocopy, photos etc.
AUD 3,600 - flights to Sydney for validation trip
AUD 900 - six nights accommodation in a serviced apartment
AUD 900 - food, transport and entertainment in Sydney for a week

We are now back to the Middle East with validated visas for Australia. The whole thing set us back by a total AUD 8,850 or GBP 4,420 in today's exchange rate. Hope it helps.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Having spent a few days in Stoke very recently, I wouldn't worry about the cost. I would spend ALL my money getting out of the place whichever way I could!

TD
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve and welcome. Good to see you made it over here.

Have a look here for info about importing motorbikes and motorbike stuff generally - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...torbike+thread

and http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=ducati

and http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421746

Incidentally Phoenix is Lin from Desmo Due, now living in Perth. I think she still posts on Ducatisti sometimes. She made it to Oz the easy way on a prospective spouse visa and I believe is very happy, though she hasn't posted on here for a long time.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

baylissboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies guys, all advice greatfully received!!