Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Applying for Oz jobs from UK (as an Oz citizen)

Applying for Oz jobs from UK (as an Oz citizen)

Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Oz jobs from UK (as an Oz citizen)

Hi,

I'm an Australian citizen but grew up in the UK and haven't been to Australia since I was 6 years old - i'm currently 25.

Currently I'm doing a Marketing internship and would like to work in the field of marketing in Australia. The internship pays very little, as expected - therefore, instead of having to slowly save to move to Oz, I was considering just applying to jobs there from the UK and if successful, get the first plane there.

My question is, how doable is this? Is this realistic? Surely if I'm up against others actually living in Australia that can turn up to a face-to-face interview at next to no notice, then my CV would just be chucked in the bin...

Is it worth applying for jobs from the UK or should I just forget about it and carry on saving slowly but surely?

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2016, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Oz jobs from UK (as an Oz citizen)

Probably worth applying from the UK (what do you have to lose?). I think you'll get a little more traction because of your citizenship, however, your biggest hurdle will be ' no Australian experience', that line gets trotted out a lot by employers, and i suspect in marketing, there may be a ring of truth to it (depending on what your market is of course).

You don't say where you are going but some parts of Oz are doing better than others right now. You might get some interest but almost guaranteed the first question you will get asked is 'what date are you arriving'?

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 31st 2016 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 4:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also advise making it very clear that you are an Australian citizen and not therefore waiting for a visa, or bound by any visa rules.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sure it can be done. Just make sure you clearly outline you are an Aussie citizen and you are prepared to be in Australia at short notice and you will cover that cost. Just don't make it too hard for them.

Skype interviews are the norm these days.

My wife secured her job from the UK via skype interviews.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't appear to be any downside to trying that I can think of, worst case scenario is you are not successful and then you are no worse off than you are now.

Obviously you are at a disadvantage compared to people on the ground, but you never know.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 10:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northlondoner
Hi,

I'm an Australian citizen but grew up in the UK and haven't been to Australia since I was 6 years old - i'm currently 25.

Currently I'm doing a Marketing internship and would like to work in the field of marketing in Australia. The internship pays very little, as expected - therefore, instead of having to slowly save to move to Oz, I was considering just applying to jobs there from the UK and if successful, get the first plane there.

My question is, how doable is this? Is this realistic? Surely if I'm up against others actually living in Australia that can turn up to a face-to-face interview at next to no notice, then my CV would just be chucked in the bin...

Is it worth applying for jobs from the UK or should I just forget about it and carry on saving slowly but surely?

Thanks
I applied for jobs from the UK as a PR. Most agencies and employers were not interested but a few were and I ended up taking a role after an interview arranged before I arrived, so it can be done

Good luck
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Probably depends on your line of work and whether there's a shortage. I found it hard applying from the UK in 2011 - no bites until I actually arrived here and even then it was nearly five months until I had a payday.

I did arrive around November time which I would definitely not advise if you are short of money as there is a real lull in recruitment activity from then until February in most sectors