Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle

Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle

Old Oct 8th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all
Default Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle

My vehicle was originally purchased in Australia and is fitted with an Australian Identification Plate. It looks as though it is easier to apply for the permit. The information they appear to want is:-

1) A completed Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle
2) The application fee of $50.00 Australian Dollars
3) Details of the identification plate, including a photograph
4) Photographic identification by way of an Australian drivers licence or
picture page of a passport of the person making the application

Has anybody taken their Australian car back to Oz and if so please could you give me any advice on the application process, including the time line? I am sure that I have read that they work on a 2 week turn-a-round.

Thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:40 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle

When I applied for a permit to import it took just over a week, that was for a UK vehicle too so an Aussie 'original' shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you give the all teh info they require, and anything esle you think may be useful.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
My vehicle was originally purchased in Australia and is fitted with an Australian Identification Plate. It looks as though it is easier to apply for the permit. The information they appear to want is:-

1) A completed Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle
2) The application fee of $50.00 Australian Dollars
3) Details of the identification plate, including a photograph
4) Photographic identification by way of an Australian drivers licence or
picture page of a passport of the person making the application

Has anybody taken their Australian car back to Oz and if so please could you give me any advice on the application process, including the time line? I am sure that I have read that they work on a 2 week turn-a-round.

Thanks.
It should be quick...mine was 10 working days (could be longer if they have questions). Make sure all details are included otherwise the jobsworths will make sure it takes a very long time to process..

ie copy of every page of your passport; 100 points to show that you will stay in Oz eg employment details, resignation letter from old employer, Utility bill etc; vehicle rego details; purchase documents and statement of travel (statement of travel is prepared by you, and itemises any international travel you undertook during the period you owned and used the vehicle (during the past 12 months). In particular, the statement sets out any absences from your country of residence).

If you dont have an Oz passport then there are extra requirements around visas etc....

Oh yes and $50 too
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Hi

Thanks for your helpful tips, we have Ozzie passports and haven't been out of the UK for over 12 months now. Hopefully it will all be straight forward.

Did you get your cars steam cleaned? I was advised by one shipping company not to bother because they always do it again in Oz anyway (extra cost for nothing).

How quick was it at the other end getting it modified, MOT'd and registered?

Kathryn
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:12 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
Hi

Thanks for your helpful tips, we have Ozzie passports and haven't been out of the UK for over 12 months now. Hopefully it will all be straight forward.

Did you get your cars steam cleaned? I was advised by one shipping company not to bother because they always do it again in Oz anyway (extra cost for nothing).

How quick was it at the other end getting it modified, MOT'd and registered?

Kathryn
My car was steam cleaned on arrival in Australia, at a cost of $550 which was a lot of money considering all they did was wash the wheel arches. The shipment from UK to Syd took 5 weeks, and the customs clearance procedure took almost 7 weeks - longer than it did to travel 11,000km's. I had it registered and on the road within a couple of days of picking it up.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spuddyo
My car was steam cleaned on arrival in Australia, at a cost of $550 which was a lot of money considering all they did was wash the wheel arches. The shipment from UK to Syd took 5 weeks, and the customs clearance procedure took almost 7 weeks - longer than it did to travel 11,000km's. I had it registered and on the road within a couple of days of picking it up.
This is ridiculous , I hope that mine doesn't take 7 weeks to clear customs. Does anybody have any recent experience of shipping a car to Perth and the time lines for clearance etc?