ANZ Letter

Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:25 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ANZ Letter

Just had a letter from ANZ saying that there had been some card skimming done in my local area and as a result I had to change my PIN by 2nd April, if I did not change it then I would not be able to use my card until the bank sent me a new PIN through, it told me to change it at an ATM or at the bank. I was a bit suspicious of the letter as it had been sent to our old address (we moved 2 months ago and have our mail redirected) so I phoned the bank and they told me to ignore it and a number of people had had them. She was not allowed to tell me if it was a genuine letter or not and told me to throw it in the bin - it all seems a bit odd, the letter and envelope looked just like other letters I have had from ANZ, if it wasn't then why tell me to change my PIN at the bank or ATM. Has anyone else had one of these??
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:40 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice
Default Re: ANZ Letter

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Just had a letter from ANZ saying that there had been some card skimming done in my local area and as a result I had to change my PIN by 2nd April, if I did not change it then I would not be able to use my card until the bank sent me a new PIN through, it told me to change it at an ATM or at the bank. I was a bit suspicious of the letter as it had been sent to our old address (we moved 2 months ago and have our mail redirected) so I phoned the bank and they told me to ignore it and a number of people had had them. She was not allowed to tell me if it was a genuine letter or not and told me to throw it in the bin - it all seems a bit odd, the letter and envelope looked just like other letters I have had from ANZ, if it wasn't then why tell me to change my PIN at the bank or ATM. Has anyone else had one of these??
Not yet, what area are you in?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, thanks for the info.

Im with ANZ too, I have not had this letter. As you know Im in the same town.

Gems
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Had a real one from Citi Bank , but they sent a new password with the letter and if there is even a hint of scamming the card is changed too.
I used the card only once in UK and they sent a new card and then asked had I been out side Australia
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

yep I got one.

Firstly, anyone who is willing to change their PIN number at an ATM deserves
a kick in the head.

Other than that, I dont really see the harm in the letter. If you go to the branch and change your pin your safe as houses. I just ignored the latter as is my usual procedure with anything that comes from the bank.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:34 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a letter from ANZ saying that there had been some card skimming done in my local area and as a result I had to change my PIN by 2nd April, if I did not change it then I would not be able to use my card until the bank sent me a new PIN through, it told me to change it at an ATM or at the bank.
It is a valid ANZ communication.
Those letters are being sent proactively to all ANZ customers where their card was used at an EFTPOS terminal at a time where it is believed the machine may have been compromised.

1) Affected customers will receive a letter advising that their card details may have been compromised and requesting they change their PIN by a certain date
2) Customers may also receive a reminder SMS
3) ANZ will proactively reissue PINs for any customers who do not change their PIN by the deadline in their letter

Call 1800 033 844 with any queries.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:24 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=bananalana;8428738]yep I got one.

Firstly, anyone who is willing to change their PIN number at an ATM deserves
a kick in the head.

QUOTE]

Changing your pin at an ATM is a common thing in Australia, And there is no problem doing this, I would rather do this than have my account skimmed, Commonwealth bank send out TXT messages advising that you need to change your pin number, Either at a branch or ATM due to card skimming and proactivly lower the limit down to $200 to avoid peoples accounts being skimmed.
http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/...g/CardSkimming

The above link is from the Australian Gov and gives you all the details of how to aviod skimming.
Gary
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:33 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
It is a valid ANZ communication.
Those letters are being sent proactively to all ANZ customers where their card was used at an EFTPOS terminal at a time where it is believed the machine may have been compromised.

1) Affected customers will receive a letter advising that their card details may have been compromised and requesting they change their PIN by a certain date
2) Customers may also receive a reminder SMS
3) ANZ will proactively reissue PINs for any customers who do not change their PIN by the deadline in their letter

Call 1800 033 844 with any queries.
As I said, I did phone up and was told that they could not tell me why, but it was a mistake and I did not need to do anything??
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:15 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

yep. just giving you the blurb as is straight off the internal anz intranet if it was of help. all of the banks pretty much follow this practice now due to atm/eftpos skimming being such a common problem. if i was in your shoes, despite what they told you on the phone, because you DID get that letter, I would certainly be changing my PIN asap.