Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anz, Commonwealth, Nationwide Or Hifx??

Anz, Commonwealth, Nationwide Or Hifx??

Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:50 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anz, Commonwealth, Nationwide Or Hifx??

Originally Posted by happymum
We called Commonwealth yesterday and they had the same rate as HIFX and only £15 per transaction. Is there more they're not telling us??? Was that a monthly fee on the Australia account or the UK account??
Transfered our money earlier this week, got a quote from Moneycorp, put down the phone rang our contact at commonwealth told him the rate, he said he would match it, as we were talking he said hang on rates gone up do you want it?
Job done, never looking at rates again.

Monthly charge $5, after 5 transactions charge of 50c per trans.
We may look for a free current account once we sort other things.
Not top of list though as commonwealth are helpful with other stuff.
Our car insurance, done through the migration unit, was $100 cheaper then any other quote I got.

Kevin
Old Jan 27th 2006, 10:06 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinl
Transfered our money earlier this week, got a quote from Moneycorp, put down the phone rang our contact at commonwealth told him the rate, he said he would match it, as we were talking he said hang on rates gone up do you want it?
Job done, never looking at rates again.

Monthly charge $5, after 5 transactions charge of 50c per trans.
We may look for a free current account once we sort other things.
Not top of list though as commonwealth are helpful with other stuff.
Our car insurance, done through the migration unit, was $100 cheaper then any other quote I got.

Kevin
Sorry just thought I would chip in here lol - we opened our bank in the UK with Commonwealth and when we got here - had the 'chat' etc all was fine, EXCEPT ...... didn't think to much about the charges then BANG :scared: $90 in charges within the first 6 weeks, as we hadnt brought over furniture etc we seemed to be drawing money out alot, also we exceeded our 15 FREE transactions straight away !!!

Also we found out that you get charged each time you go onto internet banking, the minute you select your account BANG another charge.

We are now with National Bank with is $3 a month flat fee !!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
The time is drawing near and hopefully we will have sold the bleesed business by the end of Feb (which is just aswell as we have to validate by the middle of March :scared: )

Which one of these money places is the best one for transferring money to Australia? I know it has been asked before but an update would be good

Thankyou

Jayne
The thread seems to have got into mortgages ,the banks are all the same,they all want your business so have to compete with each other,mortgage application fees ($600 approx) should be waived by all of them.Monthly charges are something I have never paid.The very helpful people at each of the banks are there to sell bank products,on commission for them,tell them to sweeten the deal a bit,they do not like the idea of losing that commission.Be a shareholder in Anz,Nab and westpac those three banks have fee reductions,insurance reductions,mortgage interest reductions etc for shareholders,check out online at shareholder centre at each bank or whichever one you choose,shareholder discounts.The friendly bank person will probably point you in the direction of a good car yard and tell you to mention his/her name for special discounts.This puts a spotters fee ($500 approx into his her pocket,tell them you want your cut of that fee).To avoid bank fees pay for everything on a credit card,but pay the card off totally at the end of the month,if you cannot do that then keep away from that option. Good Luck
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

ex-GLOS will become famous soon enoughex-GLOS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gym Junkie
Welcome to Brisbane! We come from Brockworth, half way between Chelt and Glos. Small world! My husband and the kids came over at the end of Oct 05 and i arrived at the end of November, so we've not been here that long. Our kids 14 & 17 weren't keen on being here at first, but they've just started school this week and have made friends already. Don't worry, everything will work out. It's tough at the start trying to get everything organised but its so worth it..hang in there! Where abouts in Brissie are you?
Hey - we are now in Toowong in a temporary flat. But we found a house in Chapel Hill. We can't move in till Mid March. You look like you are living outside Brisbane? I now have some internet hooked up so I hope to be on more often.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Gym Junkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ex-GLOS
Hey - we are now in Toowong in a temporary flat. But we found a house in Chapel Hill. We can't move in till Mid March. You look like you are living outside Brisbane? I now have some internet hooked up so I hope to be on more often.
Hi

Yeah..we're living up in North Lakes..it's about a 35 min drive north of the City. We love it up here, we're only renting at the mo but hope to buy towards the end of the year. We met a couple the other day that come from Hucclecote too...such a small world!!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 9:15 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Stu
Sorry just thought I would chip in here lol - we opened our bank in the UK with Commonwealth and when we got here - had the 'chat' etc all was fine, EXCEPT ...... didn't think to much about the charges then BANG :scared: $90 in charges within the first 6 weeks, as we hadnt brought over furniture etc we seemed to be drawing money out alot, also we exceeded our 15 FREE transactions straight away !!!

Also we found out that you get charged each time you go onto internet banking, the minute you select your account BANG another charge.

We are now with National Bank with is $3 a month flat fee !!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Don't know if this helps, but I emailed the National Bank to see if they do a migrant banking programme & they emailed back to say that they don't readily promoted that they offer it but can set up an account for deposits only before we get to Australia & then must present ID worth 100 points at our nearest branch in order to access the money in it.

Claire
x
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Money Transfer - Tranzfers. Used them numerous times, no issues any time. Transfer your cash and either auto convert to your Oz bank account or leave it sitting until you push the button. £7 for the transfer. Be very careful of Moneycorps website as the rate shown on the front page of the website is not what you get!! thats the banking rate apparently and at £15 a transaction is more pricey.

Banks - ANZ get an access advantage. $5 per month for unlimited tranactions etc. You can apply from the UK, then you pick up your cards etc once your in Oz at your specified home branch. However if your moving to somewhere, but say stopping in Sydney for a bit, you can pop into the branch, verify your identity and they will give you, your account details. You can then withdraw cash with your passport in the branch until you get to your specified home branch and get your card. Branch in George Street in Sydney very friendly bunch!

Credit cards however are another story, and I havent quite cracked that one yet!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Credit cards however are another story, and I havent quite cracked that one yet!
Best credit card I have found is the ANZ Reward one.
Spend $18,750 on it and get 12,500 points, which you can swap for $100 credit on your card balance.

It's only 0.53% returned but better than nothing

Link that to a Fee Free bank account like the HSBC, and the banks here end up paying you