Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone working in Advertising or Marketing? Looking for some contacts in Sydney

Anyone working in Advertising or Marketing? Looking for some contacts in Sydney

Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future
Default Anyone working in Advertising or Marketing? Looking for some contacts in Sydney

Hi All,

Have just missed out on two Advertising jobs in 2 weeks (Sydney).

First one I missed out on I was told off the record that the reason I didnt get it was that because the Client was a Govt Agency they wanted an Australian to be working on their account!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt mind so much but I was told I was the lead candidate and because the other person looking after the account wasnt Australian the Client wouldnt be comforable dealing with two non Australians.

Just missed out on a freelance job too and I am getting the feeling because I am Irish I am up against it.

I have good experience and worked for the leading Advertising Agency in Dublin before I came over so the place is well known and linked to an international network.

Does anyone have any contacts in Advertising Agencies or Marketing Dept's in Sydney that could help me out?

I am signed up with 3 recruiters but not happy with the help and service I am getting from them and want to start applying direct now.

If anyone has contacts please let me know so I can send them my CV. I know now is a bad time to apply for jobs but I want to have everything in place for end of Jan start of Feb.

I am on a WHV but ideally would love to get sponsored and stay.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 5:56 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone working in Advertising or Marketing? Looking for some contacts in Sydney

Well mate try not to take this personally but yeah the country is pretty fed up with Irish backpackers at the moment.

Also we are in economic downturn. I do direct sales with an ex London investment banker how about doing something to pay the bills and keep looking until something becomes available.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

TheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant futureTheLark has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone working in Advertising or Marketing? Looking for some contacts in Sydney

Originally Posted by Weebie
Well mate try not to take this personally but yeah the country is pretty fed up with Irish backpackers at the moment.

Also we are in economic downturn. I do direct sales with an ex London investment banker how about doing something to pay the bills and keep looking until something becomes available.
Hi Weebie,

I am actually working in a call centre at the moment to 'pay the bills'.

When you say the "country is pretty fed up with Irish backpackers" was there an official poll done or is that just a biased view from yourself.

I thought they were more concerned with Refugees than Irish Backpackers.

I asked for people to reply with contacts not state the obvious or be condescending.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is the Sales and Marketing Director for a newspaper in Victoria - certainly not a problem with them employing non Australians - however, and as you will probably already know, advertising and marketing is one of the hardest hit professions at the moment and it will probably take you a lot longer to find a job than it previously would have done. Don't despair, something will come up, it just takes a little time.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the Sydney Morning Herald are after a BDM on mycareer but you could also try their own website

http://careers.fairfax.com.au/home.a...W&sLanguage=en

I know that they have sponsored people in the past so worth trying.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Have you looked at Mumbrella?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michael_w
Have you looked at Mumbrella?
Hi Michael,

Thanks for that. Will have a look now.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You'll find that Govt agencies prefer employing Aussies or at least those holding citizenship. A friend of mine over in WA told me this when he was trying to get a job in that field.

I've heard it is quite hard to get your first job but I would have thought Ad & Marketing would have been easier as they are used to employing overseas people as it's such a multi-cultural business.

Keep trying and trying and apply for jobs directly as I'm not sure if agencies are always working in your favour! Also here it seems that if you fancy working for one particular company is to approach them directly - I've heard a few people been taken on this way.

Good luck!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

Just got a temp contract with an advertising agency. Dont want to say too much but its working on a high profile brand and I reckon if I do well I could be kept on as they are extremely busy.

Also had a good interview for a permanent position in a different agency that went well so I think my luck is improving.

Thanks to everyone who gave me tips and advice and encouragement.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

With the current job situation, I would think the WHV is what is working against you regardless of where you are from (I'm a fellow Dub btw). I thought you weren't supposed to work for the same employer for longer than 26 weeks as the only reason you're allowed to work is to finance your holiday? You can't really blame employers for not falling over themselves to hire you for a permanent role, when it was difficult to find staff employers were likely to give you a go but sponsoring staff costs money and they have to argue that they can't find an Australian to do the same job. Is there any way you can go for a skilled migrant visa if you really want to stay? Good luck anyway.