Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough
Default Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

Just wondered how many people who have decided to make Australia there home, have made the time and effort to, get out and see the real Austrailia?, I dont mean Sydney Melbourne etc, there just citys, but more so the true outback, meeting local people and getting to know some of the history???

I ask as i was very supprised when talking to a number of local English friends, that they had never been any where, and had more UK friends than Australian friends, and were still very English in there ways...
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you made the effort to see this wonderfull country

That was my intention when I first came over. But then I freaked out about not having a job so I spent 4 months looking for work. Then work chewed up my time. About a month ago I got to get outside NSW for the first time and drove up the east coast. The Nothern territory is on my list of places to go though, definitely. But I did see some beautiful scenery (mainly in Surfers Paradise he he).
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Its hard finding the time off work, to get to see these places, being such a vast place...

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
That was my intention when I first came over. But then I freaked out about not having a job so I spent 4 months looking for work. Then work chewed up my time. About a month ago I got to get outside NSW for the first time and drove up the east coast. The Nothern territory is on my list of places to go though, definitely. But I did see some beautiful scenery (mainly in Surfers Paradise he he).
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 9:40 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

yes l like some of the people who come on here and complain OZ does'nt have any nice scenery and they have never been outside suburbian OZ or only once or twice or to another city in OZ.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I did before I moved here! Same old story..............work, lack of money then too much work, lack of time!

I think we visited half a dozen times before we moved and did Barrier Reef, Brissie, Uluru, Alice, a trip round SW corner of WA and since we moved here a few trips to Sydney to visit friends and that's it.

We did do a 2 month trip around WA when we first arrived and thank goodness we did it then otherwise we'd have never had done it!

Being self-employed we though - ah have a few days here and there to go adventuring but then to begin with we were pretty skint and now we're quite busy so no time and then when we do have plenty of time it will probably mean we are skint again....viscious circle forming here!

At some point we really want to take a year out and go round Oz in a 4x4 or camper or something.

I have to say to anyone do make sure you get to visit the outback as it is truely awesome (as they say around here) the colours of the red earth and the blue sky, the twisted trees, dry river beds and just the vastness of it all together with being in the middle of nowhere is just.....awesome!

But it's the same wherever you live, I never been to half of the UK and I know lots of Aussies who have never seen anything of their country!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

At last someone who as traveled a bit.
It's not just oz either we have Asia and the south
pacific islands too but still they stay here in there
bubbles.

UOTE=koalakim;8192479]I did before I moved here! Same old story..............work, lack of money then too much work, lack of time!

I think we visited half a dozen times before we moved and did Barrier Reef, Brissie, Uluru, Alice, a trip round SW corner of WA and since we moved here a few trips to Sydney to visit friends and that's it.

We did do a 2 month trip around WA when we first arrived and thank goodness we did it then otherwise we'd have never had done it!

Being self-employed we though - ah have a few days here and there to go adventuring but then to begin with we were pretty skint and now we're quite busy so no time and then when we do have plenty of time it will probably mean we are skint again....viscious circle forming here!

At some point we really want to take a year out and go round Oz in a 4x4 or camper or something.

I have to say to anyone do make sure you get to visit the outback as it is truely awesome (as they say around here) the colours of the red earth and the blue sky, the twisted trees, dry river beds and just the vastness of it all together with being in the middle of nowhere is just.....awesome!

But it's the same wherever you live, I never been to half of the UK and I know lots of Aussies who have never seen anything of their country![/QUOTE]
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I love travelling and would do it all the time if I had the funds! I've have got such itchy feet at the moment and athough I live by a lovely beach I want to see a different lovely beach!

We do lots of travel photography as well so although I love doing the weddings I'm itching to do some more landscapes and travel stuff although I shoot all these pics and then they sit on my hard-drive forever

Been to a few places in Asia and would love to do China and Vietnam when I get the chance....now where did I put that lotto ticket
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i work in the out back in exploration and afraid to say, that after the initial "wow the Oz outback" and a load of pictures i realised that it is the most boring countryside on the planet.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well you can have too much of a good thing.....
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
Well you can have too much of a good thing.....
Not as much as we'd like to. We have been to Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Adelaide so far, Would like to see Perth, Tassie, and a few other places though. May have a trip to Darwen in 2010 but depends on things taking off we have planned.
Too much to do, too little time, as always, but with determination, we'll get to these places one day soon I hope.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I travelled round a great deal of Oz before I actually moved here...Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, drove from far north Qld down to Sydney, been along the Great Ocean Road, bush camped from Darwin to Alice Springs/Uluru, been all over Tasmania, been on a few boat "holidays" around the Whitsundays and Great Barrier Reef....arrrr truely amazing times and memories! I have to agree though when you actually live here it is harder to travel due to work commitments/lack of work and money BUT wherever you live there is so much to see and do within a few hours drive which is totally do-abale over the weekends.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:33 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
Its hard finding the time off work, to get to see these places, being such a vast place...
Exactly.

Wanting to see these places v's the reality of day to day living are 2 totally different things.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

We drove from Gold Coast to Ayers Rock straight over the Simpson Desert, down to Coober Pedy and back across the Strezlecki Desert, wrong spelling for sure, and covered 2500 kilometres off road. Great trip and fantastic insight to Australia.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest problems about travelling Australia is the cost. This is a very expensive country - especially when you get out of the main centres. We recently went to Phuket and met loads of Aussies, from all over the country. All said that the main reason they were there was that it was so cheap to get there and even cheaper when you are there. Under $70 including breakfast for a 4-star hotel, $2 for a beer, nice meal for under $10.

For us in Perth, it's almost as quick to fly to SE Asia as it is to the east coast. Airfares are cheaper to Asia and has more going on there too.

I know where I'd rather go.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by juddy
Just wondered how many people who have decided to make Australia there home, have made the time and effort to, get out and see the real Austrailia?, I dont mean Sydney Melbourne etc, there just citys, but more so the true outback, meeting local people and getting to know some of the history???

I ask as i was very supprised when talking to a number of local English friends, that they had never been any where, and had more UK friends than Australian friends, and were still very English in there ways...
You might try asking some Australians if they have done it. I think the answer might surprise you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.