Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone work in any of the Geelong hospitals?

Anyone work in any of the Geelong hospitals?

Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone work in any of the Geelong hospitals?

Hi
Looking for anyone who works in any of the Geelong Hospitals.

I am a midwife and we (hubbie and two children aged 10 and 6) are planning to emigrate to Aus.

Will need to go on a skilled visa and am looking at the hospitals in Geelong and the Geelong suburbs to live. We would initially rent and then find our new home.

Don't want to commute to work for too long, so can anyone let me know travel times from Geelong suburbs, which (in your opinions) are the best suburbs for a family to live (we have £150,000 deposit and don't want a massive mortgage), good schools - anything really!

Thanks very much for your help.

Karen
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:34 pm
Come on down...........

a and ts mum will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone work in any of the Geelong hospitals?

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Hi
Looking for anyone who works in any of the Geelong Hospitals.

I am a midwife and we (hubbie and two children aged 10 and 6) are planning to emigrate to Aus.

Will need to go on a skilled visa and am looking at the hospitals in Geelong and the Geelong suburbs to live. We would initially rent and then find our new home.

Don't want to commute to work for too long, so can anyone let me know travel times from Geelong suburbs, which (in your opinions) are the best suburbs for a family to live (we have £150,000 deposit and don't want a massive mortgage), good schools - anything really!

Thanks very much for your help.

Karen

Hi Karen, I dont know anyone who works in a Geelong hospital but my sister has had two babies there and my brother-in-law has had open heart surgery there. Neither could fault the staff, conditions, care or after care, excellent all round... this has all been within the last 2 1/2 years!

Cant tell you too much about areas within Geelong to live as I have only shopped there. My sister lives approx 20 mins south off Geelong and it is lovely all around this area.... plus you are within easy reach off the beautiful Great Ocean Road.

House prices to suit most pockets, really depends on what you're looking for.

As for schools, plenty of choice, in my sister's opinion - better all round

We loved it and cant wait to get back there......this time for good!

Lisa
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Lisa. Really appreciate the time you have taken to reply.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

G’day Karin

I’m new to this site too but not to Australia having lived here for over fifty years, I lived in Geelong for 25 of those years ( still live in the area but an hour away along the Great Ocean Road) so I may be able to help you with some of your questions about Geelong.

Geelong is a great little city. Population roughly 210,000 including suburbs and rural areas. I suggest you log on to www.geelongaustralia.com.au this will give you a comprehensive overview of the community profile.

Geelong has excellent shopping facilities, both in the city proper and in the outer suburbs. There is a rather lovely waterfront with a good marina (for your yacht when you buy one) and a safe swimming beach at Eastern Beach. Restaurants are quite good, not to the standard of Melbourne but ok. Geelong is ideally situated one hours drive to the Centre of Melbourne and 20 minutes drive to the nearest surf beach – Torquay - and the start of the Great Ocean Road. The road to Melbourne is a three lane highway, but is busy (by Oz standards) The train service to Melbourne is every half hour during peak times and every hour off peak.

House prices are creeping up but they are more affordable than Melbourne I suggest you check out the following estate agents :

www.hayden.com.au
www.maxwellcollins.com.au
www.carrsrealestate.com.au

These blokes are Geelong agents been operating for at least 25 to 30 years so they must be good at their job.

Suburbs to stay - lots, Northern suburbs closer to Melbourne. Southern suburbs closer to the surf beaches. Eastern suburbs lead to other beaches within Port Phillip Bay mostly swimming sailing beaches. Difficult to recommend areas but I would suggest you look at Belmont, Highton, Waurn Ponds, Grovedale. (Southern suburbs) all are within 10 to 20 mins drive to the city centre. Belmont most reasonably priced, then Grovedale, Highton and Waurn Ponds bit more expensive.

If you wanted to be nearer Melbourne suggest, Lovely Banks, Lara, Rippleside, Drumcondra, Western Beach, or Corio. Corio does have a council house area, but the private houses that have sprung up around it are well built and well maintained, there is a good shopping complex in the area. Corio is considerably cheaper than the other areas. Rippleside, Drumcondra and Western Beach would be the more expensive northern suburb areas.

Eastern suburbs would include Newcomb, Leopold they are closer to Barwon Heads, Queenscliffe, Ocean Grove beaches.

Many good schools in the suburbs, both public and private. If you need specific information let me know.

Geelong is fortunate due to its size to have excellent hospitals. The main ones are
Geelong Public Hospital, Geelong Private Hospital and St John of God Private Hospital.

Geelong Hospital provides seven models of maternity care viz

Community Team Midwifery, Midwife Clinic Care, Family Birthing Unit, Chemical Dependency Unit, Young Approach, Maternity Day Assessment Unit and Pregnancy Care Clinic for Special Care.

However there is a very comprehensive site (I’m sorry I don’t know the exact web address) but if you google “Birthwise Geelong Australia” you will find this will answer any questions you may have.

Not sure if I have answered any or all of your questions Karin, but please feel free to get in touch with me if you need any further help or clarification.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for replying - I really appreciate your time.

We've been looking at the real estate web sites you suggested which was very helpful.

Thanks again.

Karen
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

dalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to alldalhousie is a name known to all

No worries Karen, glad to help at any time, remember too when you do come to Geelong it is pronounced Jillong (as in Jill) not Gee long. Nothing gives a newcomer away as quickly as this mispronunciation.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

We were wondering how you pronounced it. We're going to the Expo at Australia House on Saturday and that would of been embarassing if I'dd of pronounced it the wrong way! Thanks again. Karen
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

cant help karen, but from what ave seen of geelong, i wish we had moved there instead of the eastern suburbs of melbourne, , it just feels 'nice' to me, we were there yesterday at the eastern beach, my 9 year old loves the safe swimming areas there, as do i
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Let me know how you go at the Expo Karen I would be interested to keep track of your progress.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi Margaret,

Your right, Geelong is a nice wee place its situation is great. Easier to get to Melbourne City than some of the outer Melbourne suburbs and being so close to the surf beaches is a huge bonus.

The State Government is moving the TAC (Transport Accident Commission) Offices from Melbourne to Geelong so that will create quite a bit of work locally as I don't think the present Melbourne Office Staff are too keen to travel to work in Geelong, (though hundreds of Geelong people travel to Melbourne to work every day).

It's not perfect though - has it's yobbo problem like all cities. But it's clean and pretty and of course the local Aussie Rules Footy team won the Premiership last year