Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone who lives in melbourne, i need to pick your brains!!!

Anyone who lives in melbourne, i need to pick your brains!!!

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone who lives in melbourne, i need to pick your brains!!!

My oh is an area sales manager and has recently been offered a job on a 457 in mebourne, his area will be north east melbourne metro.
If we decided to live in either the south east or the south west, sanctuary lakes/mornington. how long would it take him to get to his patch in the north east melbourne metro area, from either of these places.
any info on this is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Gina
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:06 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone who lives in melbourne, i need to pick your brains!!!

Originally Posted by Gina123
My oh is an area sales manager and has recently been offered a job on a 457 in mebourne, his area will be north east melbourne metro.
If we decided to live in either the south east or the south west, sanctuary lakes/mornington. how long would it take him to get to his patch in the north east melbourne metro area, from either of these places.

Gina
Use the directions feature on google maps for some estimates. They are reasonable accurate.

For example, the link below is for the trip by car from Sanctuary lakes to Eltham in the NE suburbs.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...2&ie=UTF8&z=11

This one is for the trip from Mornington to Eltham.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...1&ie=UTF8&z=10

Good luck with the move
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I'm not sure how long it would take but it's not a journey I would fancy making each day, especially the south-west to north-east. You obviously have to navigate around the city, and none of the routes are particularly pleasant at peak times.
It's probably not as bad going from the south-east, but then Mornington is a fair way from the metro area. I think driving into the city would take over an hour (I'm sure a few people on here commute that journey) so it would probably be similar to north-east metro (assuming that means on the north-east edge of the city).
To be honest, the north-east of Melbourne itself is a nice area to live. Anywhere on the Hurstbridge/Eltham line is pretty good (we are in Ivanhoe) so don't rule this area out.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

manwinoname is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only driven into the CBD a couple of times from Mornington and it took about 70 / 75 mins each way and for me personally, that's about as much as I would consider travelling to / fro each day. Are you looking for somewhere with reasonable access to a beach or do you not want to live in the north east areas ?
All the best with your move wherever you decide to go.
Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 13th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are wanting to be near the beach, 2 young kids etc.... so that is why Im looking at the south east and south west. OH job means he doesnt have to be in an office for a set time, he is out and about on the road all day does all paperwork from his home based office, so he wouldnt always hit rush hour traffic, he could work around it so he misses the peak times.... we currently live in Pontefract in west yorkshire and he travels to Nottingham, mansfield derbyshire area every day, 2 hours in rush hour/an hour not... so I dont think he would mind the same sort of journey in OZ.

Thanks to all who have replied so far, Your posts are greatly appreciated, and thanks for the links... They have really helped answer my question.

Anyone else who has anything to add would be very welcome
Old Oct 13th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Have you posted this question on Britvics.org? There are a loads of people who live along the penninsular, many of whom work in the CBD. They are a friendly bunch and would only be too happy I'm sure to answer queries/help. From Mornington we drove about 1/2 to Frankston station and then caught the train to the CBD which took another 1/2 hour journey (plus additions for waiting times/stops I guess).

Good luck

Lorraine
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we are wanting to be near the beach, 2 young kids etc.... so that is why Im looking at the south east and south west. OH job means he doesnt have to be in an office for a set time, he is out and about on the road all day does all paperwork from his home based office, so he wouldnt always hit rush hour traffic, he could work around it so he misses the peak times.... we currently live in Pontefract in west yorkshire and he travels to Nottingham, mansfield derbyshire area every day, 2 hours in rush hour/an hour not... so I dont think he would mind the same sort of journey in OZ.

Thanks to all who have replied so far, Your posts are greatly appreciated, and thanks for the links... They have really helped answer my question.

Anyone else who has anything to add would be very welcome
When I lived in St.Kilda for at time, a good mate lived (and still does), in Eltham, and that used to take over an hour. Even when we lived with the MIL in Chadstone, up to Eltham was always about an hour, because the the average road speed and traffic lights. The map does not look too far but it certainly, realistically, took a while... I think you'd be looking for a long old trip...
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

will have a look at britvics too, thanks
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Gina
http://www3.visitvictoria.com/displa...047C/vvt.vhtml
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the Peninsula and if we had worked in the area you are suggesting we certainly would not have lived here. Its just too too far. The Melbourne Area is a huge area, for example when we go to the airport it is a 100 kms from where we live and if we worked over there near the airport or north west it would be a 200 km commute every day. Also the freeways are not joined up so you end up having to come off one and drive through heavy traffic to get to the next one.

If you want the beach then try Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes at least you will be closer then.

If you definitely wanted south and Mornington Peninsula then you oh would be better looking for a job in the south eastern suburbs up to the city.

It takes us an hour to drive into Melbourne from here and a bit longer in rush hour. Also the train from Frankston which is where the line ends takes an hour into the city.

I have lived on the Peninsula for 20 years now and in Aus for over thirty and there are parts of Melbourne I have never visited simply because I need to take my tent pack my food to go there.

Have a look at Realestate.com.au and use the map to select the area where you are going to working and this will give you the suburbs around.

Good luck
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Have you posted this question on Britvics.org? There are a loads of people who live along the penninsular, many of whom work in the CBD. They are a friendly bunch and would only be too happy I'm sure to answer queries/help. From Mornington we drove about 1/2 to Frankston station and then caught the train to the CBD which took another 1/2 hour journey (plus additions for waiting times/stops I guess).

Good luck

Lorraine
I think you will find the train from Frankston to CBD takes more like an hour than 1/2 hour.

Buzzy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Gina,
Have you considered the south-east beach suburbs nearer to the city? Anywhere up to maybe Mordialloc wouldn't be too bad a commute to the north east.
Depending on your lifestyle, it also means you're nearer to the city and the more lively suburbs. And places like Elsternwick are not bad - they are on the train line, in Zone 1, and pretty near to the beach.
Have a look at the metlink train map http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/m...politan_trains
Anywhere on the Sandringham line and about halfway on the Frankston line would probably be OK, depending on the kind of lifestyle you're looking for.