Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken a car?

Anyone taken a car?

Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Julie3w is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone taken a car?

We are moving out to Oz in the next couple of months now we have our visas accepted, been looking on the net at car prices in Oz and they seem very expensive so thinking of buying a car here and shipping it out. Has anyone done this too and how much does it cost? Any imformation is very much appreciated.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone taken a car?

No can do You need to have owned the car for 12 months prior to shipping it to oz.

Nice idea though
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

As I understand it you can import a car of any age...it is merely the tax implications that are hefty for newer cars?
HKA
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Interesting point. I have just looked at my car on the Brisbane website and it was going for $43000 used. I bought mine for $33000 used last year and it has less miles.

Does anyone know the costs involved in importing a car?

I'm assuming that it would go into a 20ft container.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:15 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie3w
We are moving out to Oz in the next couple of months now we have our visas accepted, been looking on the net at car prices in Oz and they seem very expensive so thinking of buying a car here and shipping it out. Has anyone done this too and how much does it cost? Any imformation is very much appreciated.
They've only expensive if you want European cars... If you want Asian/Japanese they're better value here I think...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:18 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Interesting point. I have just looked at my car on the Brisbane website and it was going for $43000 used. I bought mine for $33000 used last year and it has less miles.

Does anyone know the costs involved in importing a car?

I'm assuming that it would go into a 20ft container.
Have a search, there's loads of threads about this...
Basically you'll have shipping costs + taxes + compliance costs... followed by the car always being designated as an import and being difficult to shift and at a price that'll be significantly less than comparable Aussie specced cars...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:29 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julie3w
Read this stickie thread as a guide.
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...ght=car+import
and this thread.
http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=513108

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 9th 2008 at 10:31 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:34 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
As I understand it you can import a car of any age...it is merely the tax implications that are hefty for newer cars?
HKA
Why would you want to bring an older car that may have difficulty in getting parts for if it breaks down, no to mention the cost of importing, transportation, registration and compliance. The only ones really worthwhile are rare vintage collector items. Read BigApe's thread.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:41 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

My article on importing your car is a little old now, by about 10 months, and it is specific to importing to Victoria, however it will give you a good idea on the costs and hassle involved. Nothing has really changed

In general it is not worth it financial with most people breaking even or losing a little money. You have to take into account all the charges, fees and taxes in order to understand the total cost to you against the amount you will make as a second hand sale in the UK. There is an Excel spreadsheet (with instructions) which I created to assist people in figuring out a really close estimate of the costs specific to them. Perhaps that will help

I would point you to the original article I wrote and have been updating but it's on the Wiki of another forum I only posted it here after Buzzy asked me to and now whenever I post the link for people it is deleted by the mods I guess if you PM'ed me I could send it to you)

In answer to a previous question, you have to own the vehicle for over 12 months and live with the car during that time. You even have to account, in writing, for every instance of overseas travel away from the car during the time you have owned it. These are measures to stop people buying a car to import for profit.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

it is not worth it unless you have a "classic" and owned it for some time , i.e more than 4-5 years.

I spoke to customs regarding our car when we emigrated (Audi S4) and basically we would have ended up paying Oz luxury equalisation tax which negated the whole point (I sneakly wished to sell the bugger when we got there).

Customs bloke was really honest and upfront, and basically said that unless you are bringing in something that is really unusual (and you want to keep it in OZ) then don't bother
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:22 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
Oz luxury equalisation tax
I imported an Audi and was charged Import Duty based on the value of the car when it was imported ("as landed"). I have never heard of a luxury equalisation tax, perhaps it's a NSW specific thing ?

I certainly agree that it's not worth it unless you have a "classic" which you could not live without.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

6 odd years ago now, we sold it the week before we emigrated, not an equalization tax (I'm confusing it with the Wine tax) , but as you say a luxury duty tax, I think it was 54K aud then, not that it's changed much.

The trick with a rare classic, is that if you have had it a while, you can argue that it's not for sale (which would be true) and that it's a bona fide interest and you can generally agree to "hold on" to it and not become a de facto car dealer.

how did you go with the import , was it worth it ? we reckoned we would have made about 15K before talking to customs, it then turned out to be around 3K which was actually not worth the bother....
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:18 am
No Clean Feed

6 odd years ago now, we sold it the week before we emigrated, not an equalization tax (I'm confusing it with the Wine tax) , but as you say a luxury duty tax, I think it was 54K aud then, not that it's changed much.
You are liable for Luxury Car Tax if the as landed value of the vehicle + customs duty + GST is greater than ~$57,000. You will be charged 25% on the value that exceeds that amount. As the authorised valuations are generally ~60% of the second hand road value in Australia, even when you add on customs duty, then it would have to be a really expensive car. Remember your talking about the second hand value of a car which you have owned and used for at least 12 months in the UK.

The trick with a rare classic, is that if you have had it a while, you can argue that it's not for sale (which would be true) and that it's a bona fide interest and you can generally agree to "hold on" to it and not become a de facto car dealer.
The rule now is that if the car was manufactured before 1 January 1989 then there is no restriction on your length of ownership (usually 12 active months with documentation and some sort of statutory declaration), but you will still be liable to import duty on the as landed value of the vehicle.

If you purchased the "classic" before 1998 then you will be required to either accept the customs value as being 40% of the current market value or a customs value derived from the original purchase price minus a depreciation amount of 5% in year one followed by 1% in every further year of ownership upto a maximum of 76%.

The "classic" will still need to conform to Australian motor vehicle standards to be deemed roadworthy which could mean extensive and costly electrical, mechanical and possibly structural changes.

how did you go with the import , was it worth it ? we reckoned we would have made about 15K before talking to customs, it then turned out to be around 3K which was actually not worth the bother....
I would be surprised if you broke even, once you add on all the additional fees, registration fee (yes Victoria charge you to register the car as new even though it's your own car!!) and cost of making the car meet Australian requirements (we had to spend an additional ~$750 adding child seat anchor points to the car even though they had the ultra high spec ISOFIX safety frame! Which is not accepted by Australia).

If I sold now I would break even. The car does get better resale here but it costs so much to get it over and on the road that it's just not worth it. Sell the car in the UK and buy in Australia.

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 10th 2008 at 8:25 am.