Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone see 49 Up on TV?

Anyone see 49 Up on TV?

Old Sep 16th 2005, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone see 49 Up on TV?

Did anyone in the UK watch 49UP which was supposedly on ITV, last night?

The series is usually picked up here by SBS (eventually) but I'm too impatient to wait for that - actually had to go to the movies to see 42UP.

Can anyone give a rundown on where the 'kids' are up to? There was a rumour that one of the original dropouts had returned - who was it? What are Neil and Tony up to nowadays? How is the Australian boy getting on?

Any info gratefully accepted
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone see 49 Up on TV?

Originally Posted by nickyc

The series is usually picked up here by SBS (eventually) but I'm too impatient to wait for that - actually had to go to the movies to see 42UP.

Can anyone give a rundown on where the 'kids' are up to? There was a rumour that one of the original dropouts had returned - who was it? What are Neil and Tony up to nowadays? How is the Australian boy getting on?

I didn't see it all - sorry, was watching Crimewatch !! Did see the Australian guy tho and he was doing fine - still married !!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 6:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My wife insisted we watch this , I've never seen it before. Most of the have got issues.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:05 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nicky

I watched it for an hour and then my eyelids got the better of me..sleeeppp

Tony the young boy who wanted to be a jockey etc has done ok...him and his wife have now got a 2nd home in Spain. He seems a real family man and loves his kids and grandchildren.

Neil....not sure who he was, he may have been on when I went to bed.

Didn't see the aussie boy either.

Saw a couple of the girls Jackie and Susan..I think the people I had seen had all done ok.
Bruce?? the teacher met a lady finally and married and has 2 boys. He teaches at a school in St Albans.

According to an article in the newspaper about half have dropped out and only about half are being tracked.

I really enjoyed it. Anyway it is on next week so can give you an update then..!!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The aussie guy had been working in the same factory for 10 years. His kids were of college age and doing well for themselves, his wife had dropped hairdressing for occupational therapy. He seemed happy enough, enjoying long distance running. Susan (think that was her name) was still living in Scotland but she'd divorced from her husband. Her kids were doing fine - she was pretty confrontational about the whole thing. There's another bit next week that includes Neil I think and some others. Pretty depressing show apart from the East-end jockey-turned-cabbie who seemed happy with his lot and his grandchildren.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:27 am
aussie73

What happened to that unemployed guy who lived in a caravan in Scotland?
l don't remember his name.

Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the info.

I've seen every 'episode' as they've made it. When I saw the first one I was 7 too, so feel I know them all and can relate to them (well most of them!).

Most people remember Neil as he was such a gorgeous, bright 7-year-old but suffered terribly later becoming almost down-and-out. I guess (typical program-makers) they're saving him till last.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aussie73
That was Neil - wanted to be an astronaut at 7. Ended up totally depressed and down-and-out by 35.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 7:38 am
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by aussie73

It's on again next week & they're showing this guy.

I really enjoyed watching it, I think that the Aussie guy had an un-happy childhood & is scarred mentaly, poor guy
Old Sep 16th 2005, 8:16 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was very interesting to watch, showed how Britain has changed through the years - socially, economically, expections, class systems, etc.

Interesting to hear those who lived in the East End lamenting how it has changed and does not feel like their "home" anymore.

Mind the jockey lad who commented on this had re-mortgage his home here and bought in Spain. Why, well he loved living in an area with 96% Brits, with British Pubs, etc. Wonder if the Spainish feel the same way?

The posh one, Suzy, gave little away and basically said this would be the last one she would do, so maybe a very subdued 56UP!