Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Originally Posted by scousercarol
Hi,

What hotel did you stay in, in Raratonga, and what hotel would you recommend? Ta x
http://www.rarotonga-cook-islands.com/

We stayed at Palm Grove, not cheap but if it only for a few days, its not too bad.

Flight from Uk is 24 hours, but a nice stopover in between for a couple of days would be LA, Air New Zealand fly to Raratonga via there from London.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people (including myself) have mentioned Ko Samui.

As far as I know the only airline which flies direct between SIN and Ko Samui is Bangkok Airways. They are a great little airline although the SIN-USM flight is not the cheapest.

http://www.bangkokair.com/

The airport at Ko Samui is the coolest you will ever see though!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:37 am
life's good

allison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the roughallison is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi all,

We are hoping to fly to Perth(1 way!) in september & are struggling with where to stopover. We are a family of 4(kids 12 & 8) and were thinking of a week just chilling on a beach somewhere before we arrive in Australia and start running round like headless chickens!

We were originally going to have a stopover in Singapore as we have flown with Singapore Airlines before & they were excellent + they seem to be the only Airline going east that give you double baggage allowance - but singapore is hardly a beach resort, only Sentosa island has proper beach I think.

So now we are thinking of flying west to possibly America? or elsewhere? as it seems the airlines flying this way give you extra baggage whether you are emigrating or not!

Has anyone got any ideas of where is a good place to stop for a week where we can chill out on the beach? Have looked into it a bit but it seems there are quite a few re-fueling stops before your eventual arrival for some destinations! i.e. Hawaii was 3 stops!

Any info would be brill

Chris

We flew with malaysian and got a free internal flight to borneo. The hotel (Shangri-la) was fantastic (really cheap about 30 pounds a night for five star.) It was such a chilling holiday and we all loved incl my young daughter a trip to the orang utans.

yes you get less baggage allowance but flying east is generally cheaper than flying west. We were over by about 25kg and only got charged on the domestic flight from KK-Kl and even then it wasn't the full rate. Obviously that is the risk one takes.

Try trailfinders if you haven't booked yet - for some reason they seem to find amazingly good deals. Much cheaper than other agents
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

We tried trailfinders but by booking through expedia we saved ourselves at least £300. Although we are flying with emirates the flight from bangkok to koh samui is with bangkok airways. £98 return for adults and £48 for kids.

I know its hassle but if you play around on the internet you can save money. We also booked wih the hotel direct and haggled on the price for that as well
Good job the oh is a cheeky sod as we saved some more money on that.

Jules
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:40 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, we have looked into Koh Sumui, looks very, very nice! Just a bugger with flight times though , if we book we will have to wait in Singapore Airport for 6 hours before flight to Koh Samui. Coming back there is only 1 flight to Singapore that get in at 19:20 so we were thinking of perhaps having a couple of nights in Singapore before heading to Perth!

Don't know what to do, we feel like we deserve a nice chill out somehwere, but it is a tad expensive

Chris

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

saskia07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm a wannabe Canuck strayed onto the Australia forum, so be gentle with me. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.....but I searched and found a mention of the Cook Islands on here.....

I plan to do a RTW trip sort of on the way to BC, Canada, and I have heard how great the Cook Islands are, particularly Aitutaki. Any views on whether this is THE Cook Island to stay on? I'm thinking of five days for a complete chill out, swim, snorkel, scuba, that sort of thing.
Also, I've heard that accommodation is pricey on Aitutaki - anyone recommend somewhere to stay?

Cheers
Sas x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by saskia07
Hi

I'm a wannabe Canuck strayed onto the Australia forum, so be gentle with me. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.....but I searched and found a mention of the Cook Islands on here.....

I plan to do a RTW trip sort of on the way to BC, Canada, and I have heard how great the Cook Islands are, particularly Aitutaki. Any views on whether this is THE Cook Island to stay on? I'm thinking of five days for a complete chill out, swim, snorkel, scuba, that sort of thing.
Also, I've heard that accommodation is pricey on Aitutaki - anyone recommend somewhere to stay?

Cheers
Sas x
hi

have a look at www.virtualtourist.com

its a travellers website which if searched should give you loads of info

for cheap hostels try www.hostels.com. Moost are set up really well with a young crowd and travel desks, internet rooms and a good crowd. If you dont want a dorm most hostels have private rooms

Most have cooking facilities, huge fridges and pots and pans like a home from home, but best of all cheap as chips and saves you money on food if youy get the basics of bread milk eggs and cereal for brekkies and lunch!

Have a good trip

al
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:25 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say the Emirates definitely do the extra baggage for migrants. My nephew has just done this. Whether they do if you stopover I dont know.

Dubai is agreat place to chill and the kids will loive it. Pretty hot on Sept though.

Another vioe here for pretty much anywhere in Malaysia (except KL as big city not so relaxing) but MAS dont offer extra baggage
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:54 am
Account Closed

saskia07 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Mr Anderson;6156864]hi

have a look at www.virtualtourist.com

its a travellers website which if searched should give you loads of info

for cheap hostels try www.hostels.com. Moost are set up really well with a young crowd and travel desks, internet rooms and a good crowd. If you dont want a dorm most hostels have private rooms

Most have cooking facilities, huge fridges and pots and pans like a home from home, but best of all cheap as chips and saves you money on food if youy get the basics of bread milk eggs and cereal for brekkies and lunch!

Have a good trip

al[/QUOTE

Hi

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Ko Samui, Phuket, Penang etc but never ventured to Fiji or the Cook Islands.......can't wait.
Sas x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Cook Islands............http://www.cook.pacific-resorts.com/aitutaki.html