Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:12 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of
Default Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

Hi all,

We are hoping to fly to Perth(1 way!) in september & are struggling with where to stopover. We are a family of 4(kids 12 & 8) and were thinking of a week just chilling on a beach somewhere before we arrive in Australia and start running round like headless chickens!

We were originally going to have a stopover in Singapore as we have flown with Singapore Airlines before & they were excellent + they seem to be the only Airline going east that give you double baggage allowance - but singapore is hardly a beach resort, only Sentosa island has proper beach I think.

So now we are thinking of flying west to possibly America? or elsewhere? as it seems the airlines flying this way give you extra baggage whether you are emigrating or not!

Has anyone got any ideas of where is a good place to stop for a week where we can chill out on the beach? Have looked into it a bit but it seems there are quite a few re-fueling stops before your eventual arrival for some destinations! i.e. Hawaii was 3 stops!

Any info would be brill

Chris

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone recommend a good 'chill out' stopover?

you could go with emirates and stop in Dubai......nice....or malaysian airways and stop kuala lumpur and go to a nice beach resort. just be careful with singapore airlines as i know that if you stop over they dont give you extra baggage, you have to fly straight to oz. that might be the same with alot of the companys so just find out....good luck
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:43 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jonjelly
you could go with emirates and stop in Dubai......nice....or malaysian airways and stop kuala lumpur and go to a nice beach resort. just be careful with singapore airlines as i know that if you stop over they dont give you extra baggage, you have to fly straight to oz. that might be the same with alot of the companys so just find out....good luck
Hi, thanks for the reply

Singapore Airlines said they would give us the extra baggage with a 1 week stopover Read though that Malaysia & Emirates airlines will NOT give extra baggage allowance hence our deciding to head west for a stopover

Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:53 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi all,

We are hoping to fly to Perth(1 way!) in september & are struggling with where to stopover. We are a family of 4(kids 12 & 8) and were thinking of a week just chilling on a beach somewhere before we arrive in Australia and start running round like headless chickens!

We were originally going to have a stopover in Singapore as we have flown with Singapore Airlines before & they were excellent + they seem to be the only Airline going east that give you double baggage allowance - but singapore is hardly a beach resort, only Sentosa island has proper beach I think.

So now we are thinking of flying west to possibly America? or elsewhere? as it seems the airlines flying this way give you extra baggage whether you are emigrating or not!

Has anyone got any ideas of where is a good place to stop for a week where we can chill out on the beach? Have looked into it a bit but it seems there are quite a few re-fueling stops before your eventual arrival for some destinations! i.e. Hawaii was 3 stops!

Any info would be brill

Chris

Hi Chris,

Ooooh! not long now hey, hope all is well there, speak soon-!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Hawaii is a nice place for a stopover , we had a stopover in Fiji once, Bali is also perfect

Best place ever for me was Raratonga , Cook islands, with Air New Zealand.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If your flight involves North America then your baggage allowance works on the 'piece' system and not by kilograms - so each traveller gets 2 pieces which can be 32kg each, so 64kg per person!

Going west might be a good idea.....September is prime rainy season in most of the SE Asian beach resorts.

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse than spending a week on Sentosa Island!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:50 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for the reply

Singapore Airlines said they would give us the extra baggage with a 1 week stopover Read though that Malaysia & Emirates airlines will NOT give extra baggage allowance hence our deciding to head west for a stopover

Yep, all true. Sing Air gave us extra baggage and we stopped for 4 days in Sing. KL does have great beaches too and ideal for a chill out! To fly Sing to KL is less than an hour and worth considering (especially if the Grand Prix is on too!).

Thailand also has some nice family resorts.

Andrew
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Any info would be brill

Chris

Go west, itll be proper rainy season in asia.

Depends on your budget but florida or l.a. has some nice beaches and cook islands/fiji/nz and flying the other way is better for jetlag as you are a day ahead when you set off as you should catch yourself up so its not as bad as 9 hours ahead in asia.

Have a good time

AA
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
If your flight involves North America then your baggage allowance works on the 'piece' system and not by kilograms - so each traveller gets 2 pieces which can be 32kg each, so 64kg per person!
Except for good old British Airways.....
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Except for good old British Airways.....
True...then its 2 x 23kg.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Originally Posted by auspal
Hawaii is a nice place for a stopover , we had a stopover in Fiji once, Bali is also perfect

Best place ever for me was Raratonga , Cook islands, with Air New Zealand.
Hi,

What hotel did you stay in, in Raratonga, and what hotel would you recommend? Ta x
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:57 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Ah, didn't know that's how they worked it out! Cheers

Going west might be a good idea.....September is prime rainy season in most of the SE Asian beach resorts. !
I was just going to check this out, I read that 1 half of the year is light monsoon weather & other half is heavy monsoon weather! heavy starts in November I think?

Personally I couldn't think of anything worse than spending a week on Sentosa Island!
Didn't think it was that bad From what I can gather there is only 1 beach hotel on Sentosa, so am gonna check hotel reviews in a mo

Chris

Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:01 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Hi Chris,

Ooooh! not long now hey, hope all is well there, speak soon-!
Hi Guys,

good to hear from you, yeah not long till D-day! Looking forward to our new life

Chris

Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Didn't think it was that bad From what I can gather there is only 1 beach hotel on Sentosa, so am gonna check hotel reviews in a mo

Chris

...i suppose its not horrendous.....and i love Singapore but Sentosa is very artificial. And its a bit strange lying on your man made beach looking out at the super tankers and oil refineries! If I was flying to Singapore but really wanted a chilled holiday I'd hop on a flight to Ko Samui or some such place.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:06 am
Just Joined

evil_witch is an unknown quantity at this point

we stopped in Bali for 4 days and it was super. Laid by pool all day! Although we had a night in Singapore due to flight being cancelled and just reading through the hotel gumph, there sounded like plenty to see and do in the city for a few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.