Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Quitting Aus due to High Cost of Living

Originally Posted by paulry
That's very interesting reading. It also provides a feel for how the labour market is likely to change in the next 12 months.

...A bit fed up that my estimated salary is $20k less PA than it is in Sydney but for the moment just findng a job woud be good
Having said that it's accurate, I do think the salary and range quoted for ACT / AP Other looks low. I'd be really surprised if the top end of the range was accurate. Could be skewed by high numbers of government staffers though?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

That's very interesting reading. It also provides a feel for how the labour market is likely to change in the next 12 months.

...A bit fed up that my estimated salary is $20k less PA than it is in Sydney but for the moment just findng a job woud be good
How does the COL compare in Canberra to Sydney though (I really don't know), I'm contracting in Sydney for one of the big financial firms, and it feels expensive to me, I truly don't know how new arrivals cope on the average wage, unless they're willing to burn through their savings.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
How does the COL compare in Canberra to Sydney though (I really don't know), I'm contracting in Sydney for one of the big financial firms, and it feels expensive to me, I truly don't know how new arrivals cope on the average wage, unless they're willing to burn through their savings.
Yes, I was about to ask the same. What are property prices like? I too have no idea; maybe quoll can educate us.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

On another note Paul, what made you go for the ACT? Was it a sponsorship thing, as most IT work I've seen advertised there was for citizens only due to govt security clearance, are you seeing opportunities for PR's?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind the new arrivals what about us long termers??

I rented a really nice flat in the Shire about 4 years ago for $240 per week, in July 2010 when I was looking a flat came up in the same block for $380 a week!! That is some jump in price!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:24 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is very expensive. It's definately a two wage earner kind of place to live.

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes, I was about to ask the same. What are property prices like? I too have no idea; maybe quoll can educate us.
As far as I can tell, property prices here are about the same as Sydney.

On another note Paul, what made you go for the ACT? Was it a sponsorship thing, as most IT work I've seen advertised there was for citizens only due to govt security clearance, are you seeing opportunities for PR's?
We came here on ACT sponsorship to fast track our application. It's not a bad place to live but the limitation on jobs for PRs is a bit worrying. Thinking of taking a temp role for a while and finishng off my MS certification. That should help offset the disadvantage that non-citizens suffer here.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The Geek says most software companies have a presence in Canberra - his certainly does - and they would be your best bet if you have relevant experience. Of course they'll have some projects requiring security clearance but not all.

(He's often down there seeing govt. clients and prospects.)
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is very expensive. It's definately a two wage earner kind of place to live.

As far as I can tell, property prices here are about the same as Sydney.

We came here on ACT sponsorship to fast track our application. It's not a bad place to live but the limitation on jobs for PRs is a bit worrying. Thinking of taking a temp role for a while and finishng off my MS certification. That should help offset the disadvantage that non-citizens suffer here.
The security clearance need not be a 100% bar to a job, depends on the company/govt dept involved. It is possible to get a clearance on someone who is not an Aussie, its just a longer process and far more expensive and complex for them. Also they need to sign a waiver with ASIO to say that they are aware of the non-citizen status and any associated risks. Don't do the financial details, but timewise we were quoted 18 months for a UK citizen.
Worth bearing in mind if the subject comes up and they are open to negotiation
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The security clearance need not be a 100% bar to a job, depends on the company/govt dept involved. It is possible to get a clearance on someone who is not an Aussie, its just a longer process and far more expensive and complex for them. Also they need to sign a waiver with ASIO to say that they are aware of the non-citizen status and any associated risks. Don't do the financial details, but timewise we were quoted 18 months for a UK citizen.
Worth bearing in mind if the subject comes up and they are open to negotiation
I believe one way around it is to work through an agency. They can get past the Australian citizen requirement. And the requirement doesn't apply to most ACT government posts - it's just the Federal ones.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

May I summarise the answer to the OP's question and venture an answer?

No.

I'm providing a public service, don't thank me now
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
May I summarise the answer to the OP's question and venture an answer?

No.

I'm providing a public service, don't thank me now
You took the words right out of my mouth. How are you, "Winner"
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
You took the words right out of my mouth. How are you, "Winner"
I can only take 16 pages before an intervention is required

I feel like a winner, Michael Winner, and it does not sit well with me.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I rented a really nice flat in the Shire about 4 years ago for $240 per week, in July 2010 when I was looking a flat came up in the same block for $380 a week!! That is some jump in price!!
An average of 10.5% per year, definitely higher than wages have risen.

That's a much bigger average annual jump than up here in Brisbane, assuming the same size flat.

2007 saw the big rise in rents in the Shire though.
From 2003 to 2006 the average rose by a total of $40pw from $340 to $380, but in the next year to Dec 2007 it jumped $60 to $440pw. Not sure what the average is now.

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I can only take 16 pages before an intervention is required

I feel like a winner, Michael Winner, and it does not sit well with me.
I've just, ever so slightly, gone off you.............
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:15 pm
ABCDiamond

A quick question:

Several times I've heard it said that regardless of the exchange rate that we are getting, Aus prices in the shops are still kind of locked onto the previously £1 = $2.50 value. Does this also mean that (as a rule of thumb) if you were earning say £50k PA in blighty then a fair "guestimate" Aus salary expectation would be around $125k PA?

Thanks

(I'm filling out online job application forms right now and getting a bit stuck n required salary question).
£50k is 2.18 times the average UK wage, according to www.statistics.gov.uk,
and 2.18 times the average QLD wage would be $145,000, so your guestimate is not too far off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.